4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 29, 2018 7:57 AM by Erik Bilello

    How would I call out this tack weld?

    James Baseman-Blevins

      I'm creating a drawing for manufacturing and we are tack welding the bottom of a pin that we are pressing into a hole. The tack welds need to be equally spaced (3x). This is my first time using the weld features, just an fyi

        • Re: How would I call out this tack weld?
          Neville Williams

          Insert /Annotations/Weld Sybol

          This is ANSI symbol but ISO is also same

          • Re: How would I call out this tack weld?
            Neville Williams


            I know it's not a fillet weld but I'm sure the fabricator would get the idea...

            • Re: How would I call out this tack weld?
              Erik Bilello



              I'm quite sure Kevin is correct (no need to yell about it Kevin) that there isn't an official tack weld symbol (unless it's been added recently).  Technically a tack weld is only used to position parts before the "real" weld is made.  It should be small enough that it can be easily broken or removed in the event the parts need to be repositioned. Depending on what you're welding it may be permissible to weld over tacks, but it is often required that they be ground or chiseled off and replaced with a weld of specified penetration and size.

              The purpose of the weld symbol is to specify the type, size and location of welds on the finished part. The codes you might need to meet will often determine if, and how, tacks can be used. If not, you might use additional notes to specify where and how they may (or may not) be used.


              So, it doesn't look to me like you're specifying a tack weld.  Unless the only reason for the welds is to keep the pin in place while additional manufacturing steps are made they are not tack welds.  If, after whatever you're making is completed, it would still function if the welds were removed, then they are tack welds, whether you remove them or not.


              But, regardless of what kind of welds they are, since you want to put a weld callout on them, here's what I would suggest. First, since you are calling it a tack, I assume you want it as small as possible, if you don't already know, check with your welder and find out how small that can be. That will be the length of the weld.  I'll also assume that the end of the pin is flush with the surface you're welding it to, so it's basically a circular square butt joint, and that you will have your weld symbol point at the weld side of the joint. I'm not at the SW computer just at the moment so I can't easily post an actual example, I hope the descriptions are adequate.


              A basic callout for in-house use, assuming the exact locations of welds are not important;

                 -arrow points to any part of joint, symbol for square butt weld under reference line, weld penetration      to left of symbol, contour and finish under symbol (if desired), length of weld to right of symbol,      place a note in the tail (the little "feathers" at the end of the reference line will appear when you type      a note in the box) "3 WELDS EQUALY SPACED AROUND JOINT" or something to that effect.

              A basic callout for in-house use if the locations of the welds are important;

                   -as above except place the arrow point at the location of one of the welds and change the note to      read "3 WELDS EQUALY SPACED AROUND JOINT.  FIRST WELD WHERE INDICATED" or                  something to that effect.

              A more proper callout would require that you calculate the pitch of the weld around the joint.  That would equal the circumference of the pin divided by three.

              Then proceed as above except add the pitch to the right of the weld length, and omit the note if the locations aren't critical.  If the locations are critical, include the "FIRST WELD WHERE INDICATED" note in the tail.

              Of course if you decide the joint type is not a square butt, use the correct symbol. And if for some reason you need to put your callout on the opposite side from the weld place the symbol and dimensions on top of the line.


              If you do just put a note that says "THREE TACK WELDS EQUALLY SPACED AROUND" you'll probably get what you want, the welders will just roll their eyes at you when you're not looking.  But, you'll have little recourse if you don't get what you want.