94 Replies Latest reply on Aug 9, 2018 7:12 PM by Habib Ghalamkari

The Future of Solidworks

Habib Ghalamkari

Will Solidworks be something like this in future?

DC4 Engenharia - [MODELAGEM EM TOUCH].Vejam a...

• Re: The Future of Solidworks
          Dave Bear

Believe half of what you hear and a quarter of what you see.........

Dave.

Dan Golthing

well if they do, I hope it doesn't come with that brain-damaging music.

you have to remember, even though SolidWorks generates billions of dollars a year, not so much of that makes it into product development.  Somewhere on YouTube is Elon Musk and a small team that developed a gesture-based CAD system.  How can these guys do it just farting around and SolidWorks has yet to do anything like it?  The foundation for this already exists in various gaming consoles.

And SolidWorks can't for some reason even implement other existing tech as well.  for instance: voice commands.  many API's exist for voice recognition.  tie that to the very limited number of commands that SolidWorks requires, and it doesn't seem like a huge task to change the way we interface with CAD for the first time in 40 years. 

Craig Schultz

Mechanical Conceptual......never got traction

They seem to be tying in more of the touch based features recently.

"And SolidWorks can't for some reason even implement other existing tech as well.  for instance: voice commands.  many API's exist for voice recognition.  tie that to the very limited number of commands that SolidWorks requires, and it doesn't seem like a huge task to change the way we interface with CAD for the first time in 40 years."   Nope nope...nope nope nope....  Depending on how many people you work with, what type of set up, it's going to be a GD screaming match.  And then what if it's like screaming "Hey Siri" in a crowd of iphone users? 

Dan Golthing

Not really.  First of all, engineers and designers should have a peaceful place to work.  It's pure stupidity to throw a bunch of people trying to think into a common area.  At a minimum, tall cubicles with ample sound absorption should work.

Next, the software is ever evolving to recognize a single voice.  It is becoming more and more mainstream.  Yesterday my 75 year old dad told his new car to call someone for the first time.

Instead of being the low-cost leader, SolidWorks continues to be the high-cost follower.  Autodesk is already working on voice.  How sad it will be if that horrible company does it before Dassault.

Craig Schultz

And then our workplaces start sounding like the telemarketing call centers out of India, no thanks.

It's pure stupidity to throw a bunch of people trying to think into a common area. - Wait....what?  Prairie dog farms are becoming more and more rare when new office spaces are being put up.  Schools and offices are being designed around collaboration areas.

Jim Steinmeyer

Craig Schultz wrote:

And then our workplaces start sounding like the telemarketing call centers out of India, no thanks.

It's pure stupidity to throw a bunch of people trying to think into a common area. - Wait....what? Prairie dog farms are becoming more and more rare when new office spaces are being put up. Schools and offices are being designed around collaboration areas.

I have to agree with Craig here. In 20 years I have worked in 6 places. My first job is the only one where I had my own office. Here in my current job the head engineer just moved his desk in with the rest of us to be able to participate in the team discussions better. So what if it is possible to train the software to respond to only one guy? I don't want my concentration to be disrupted by 6 other guys telling the computer what to do.

Habib Ghalamkari

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

I have to agree with Craig here. In 20 years I have worked in 6 places. My first job is the only one where I had my own office. Here in my current job the head engineer just moved his desk in with the rest of us to be able to participate in the team discussions better. So what if it is possible to train the software to respond to only one guy? I don't want my concentration to be disrupted by 6 other guys telling the computer what to do.

No matter we like it or not, technology is taking us to talk to our devices. I talk normally to my car's navigation system to take me to a Japanese restaurant or ask google to see what was last night's soccer results.

The other day my wife was asking her oven in the kitchen how to bake something.

I suggest you watch Her (2013) - IMDb if you have not watched it yet. There's a lot of ways that we can talk to our devices without disturbing anyone even if we're talking to our mobile in a train.

I know Her is about future , but our Home Google speaker in our living room can recognize my voice and my wife's and our son's. It respond to each of us and doesn't mix the information we're asking for. So does apple's speaker or amazon's.

Neville Williams

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

but our Home Google speaker in our living room can recognize my voice and my wife's and our son's. It respond to each of us and doesn't mix the information we're asking for. So does apple's speaker or amazon's.

to each their own.

There is no way I would ever have one of those devices/apps in the house listening in all the time

Habib Ghalamkari

Neville Williams wrote:

to each their own.

There is no way I would ever have one of those devices/apps in the house listening in all the time

May I ask why?

Tom Gagnon

Not that I'm going to add one of these to my home, because it doesn't enhance my life, but I can share some information to assuage FUD.

The most popular voice assistant, Amazon's Echo, has two microphones. One is only listening for your trigger word, like "Alexa..", and the other one only activates once it has heard its trigger. It is only the second one that transmits audio to the cloud for speech recognition so that it can understand your request or command. Then it responds, and returns to waiting for its trigger word.

Therefore, it is not listening to everything all the time. Fear what you choose to.

Craig Schultz

So they say.....

Let's just say a coworker of mine was talking to me about looking at a condo, and by some bleeping miracle, the next pop up ad on his facebook was about condos in the area. 

Tom Gagnon

Occam's Razor would imply that he had already made web searches, or direct navigation to websites on topic, and doesn't know that doing so without logging out of Facebook generally means that Facebook knows everywhere he has been and everything he has searched. His history was used to populate his adverts. This is not mysterious if you know how Facebook uses cookies on your devices as well as scripts implanted into other sites, to track every interest you have.

However, if his very first ideation of looking at a condo was sparked by speaking with you, then your suspicion would be more plausible. I find that unrealistic, unless you're the one that told him to start doing so.

Simplest explanation is usually the correct one. Most people do not understand what is going on with the services they use where they are not paying for the product, but instead are the product sold to advertisers. That. Is off topic.

Craig Schultz

Occam's Razor, you must listen to Wingo and Golic.

I have had similar things happen with our phones from home.  No previous searching, ads pop up.  No previous searching on some random topic, it's the first topic when searching.

I have seen a sharp decrease in these "coincidences" since I left the book of face.  Now you might say that's a totally unrealistic coincidence, but I do find that 2 coincidences start to lead to a pattern.

Tom Gagnon

Broadly, I'm amazed at the FUD around speaker home assistants among folks that I would generalize as knowledgeable and potentially well-informed. It is a simple end point device with limited storage, and is nearly useless unless it has connectivity to its cloud. As such, when and how much data is transmitted can be easily identified and measured. Experts have done so. You can too.

However, no one in this thread has addressed the far more developed vulnerability that users take for granted, a smartphone. Android and iOS have been around about a decade, the devices have plentiful connectivity, the devices have microphones AND cameras, and many forms of malware have been extensively developed to leverage existing vulnerabilities and input resources. Protection from vulnerabilities through Android OS updates are, with rare exceptions, delayed from your use by the carriers. Furthermore and most glaringly, legitimate apps are installed with permissions manually granted, to which users pay as little attention to as the fine print of EULA's, and most users have willingly ALLOWED these apps to access their contacts, history, profile, microphone, speaker, and camera. Even the 'walled garden' of iOS is directly equivalent to the similar 'walled garden' of speaker home assistants. If you fear one, why not the other? With all of this capability and vulnerability and granted access, your smartphone is eminently more of a threat than a speaker home assistant.

But, as I very briefly said before, go ahead and fear new devices which you choose to misunderstand. Also, I add, go ahead and keep trusting those other devices which you also may choose to misunderstand as well as take for granted. I have not, and will not, do either of these foolish things. I recognize that I am intentionally abnormal (I do prefer that word, but if you really insist on a positive spin, I would also accept extraordinary).

Side note: Furthermore as proud evidence of personal abnormality, I had to look up what Wingo and Golic is. I care very little for these sports interests and persistent marketing efforts. I do actively study philosophy, and commonly read various wiki's about these topics, usually chasing links into a topic 'hole' out of curiosity. Primary in my studies are analysis of logical, media, and social fallacies, to which Occam's Razor is commonly relevant.

Jeff Mowry

But it's not true, unfortunately, and we need not result to theoretical grasping of straws as if we cannot know the truth here.  In this case, we can simply ask the guy if he's ever searched for such things or not.

I have a similar troubling story.  My wife was gathered among other ladies when a very unusual topic came up amongst them (let's say it was hand-woven oven mitts).  Nobody using their phones, and certainly nobody was searching this term, as it's quite an obscure topic with seemingly little to no commercial market.  After they went their separate ways, one of them was spammed with ads aimed directly toward the topic of their discussion.  Quite alarmed, this initiated an immediate follow-up conversation letting everyone who took part in that conversation what happened.  Since then, they've been much more careful about what is discussed in the presence of such devices, since we now know they do indeed listen all the time.

Rather than doubt this happened, instead we might ask (as I've mentioned elsewhere), Cui bono?  Is there any benefit to full-time active listening of phones/devices to their surroundings?  Of course.  Generic ads with no guidance are simply overlooked and nearly invisible to the well-trained (and worn out) people searching for the content they're actually searching for.  As a result, premium prices are paid for well-aimed ads that target known interests---and this is what pays for (and motivates) this sort of data mining.

You don't have to believe me or anyone else about this, for these are only anecdotal and you don't know me.  No problem.  But what's my motive?  What do I get out of telling stories?  After all, we've already identified the solid motive for the data mining.

Jeff Mowry

Like others, there's no way I'd accept such a device in my place, either.  These things listen full-time, by the way, as is necessary for them to hear their cue words ("Alexa" or "OK Google").

Because recent revenue models depend on data mining (and selling the data), this gets creepy.  If you don't know why the sound of your environment is being recorded all the time then it's time to ask "Cui bono?" (Who benefits?)  After all, continual listening/streaming/processing isn't free, particularly when scaled up by the millions of users.  So they must be making money on this data collection.  I recently read an article that said even the new Roomba is mining house maps to sell to "third party" interests.  Great.  No thanks.

To me, no matter they are listening to us or not, as long as that speaker (or recording machine) in our living room makes my life easier, I tend to use it and let it stay there and record us.

It seems these days that liberty is always sold in the currency of convenience.  Convenience, apparently, is our new god.  Does it necessarily hurt you?  Maybe, and maybe not.  Does it help?  Sure, if you value the currency of convenience.  But always keep in mind that you really don't know the price for that convenience, since you can never fully know that cost as it relates to you.  That will be meted out over time and most likely by interested "third party" vendors.  (Cambridge Analytica much?"

Last, we can see that Google is not simply a data aggregator anymore, but a purveyor of influence---of manipulated data returned to users as if to represent truth.  Why manipulate the data?  Because people will pay to have it manipulated in their favor.  So to the degree that Google or Amazon or Netflix gain respective monopolies is the degree to which they can get away with various market distortions and manipulation-based influence upon their customers.  With motives like that, what's not to distrust?

I've been an independent industrial designer for nearly 21 years.  When the design biz gets slow I help people with computer problems (or build them new ones) as a business extension.  Several people have needed help installing these Alexa-type devices, and they generally sell their privacy/liberty for perceived convenience.  Most of the time this seems to be the only thing they desire, so I don't press the issue.  But I often wonder at what cost they lose their privacy/liberty, since they certainly don't seem to wonder about this---and will likely never know the full cost of such paltry benefits.

Mark Biasotti

Hi Dan,

I Don't think voice command for SW is the answer. I have two Echo Dots in my home that control lighting, temp etc. and it is a very interesting psychological phenomenon that there are many times, usually early morning and late at night, that I don't want to speak to Alexa and find it much easier to just go touch my TP-Link wall switch instead. I can't really explain it but it's almost like its easier to touch that button than to speak the command (also don't want to wake my wife - that is part of it, but a small part.)  Besides, if making voice command prolific for SW, I would certainly loose my voice, - working many days of my week 5 to 8 hours straight on it.

It comes down to this:  speaking takes work, just like pushing buttons, for some people (Type A) it might not, but for me I can't imagine speaking my CAD into existence. I think the experiment with voice has run it course. Ask yourself why much more popular programs like Word and Excel don't draw a lot users to do there work via voice command (and voice programs for them do exist) but from a ergonomics and psychological  perspective hands are more effective and efficient than our mouths, for creating digital content - at least right now. What could change that is AI - speaking less to create more...

Mark

M. D.

True, basically you have to train to be able to express certain commands.  If we are already trained to express a command by a click or a flip then it will take a lot of getting used to - to change that to saying something.  Plus saying something likely uses a lot more of the brain to translate the thought into words then to speak the words coherently.

I think the real future is using VR which would allow using more of the hands and body to make commands alla Minority Report.

Dan Golthing

What's fascinating to me is that whenever the topic of voice commands comes up on the forums, there are a bunch of people that can't imagine it working and therefore don't want it to even exist!

First, if it did exist, you probably wouldn't have to use it, so why doth thou protest so much?  And, I say "probably" because I remember the interface change to the colorless icons.  We were all forced into that mess, even though it would have been easy to leave the old icons as an option.  So sometimes you just have to slap yourself on the forehead when it comes to some of SWX's decisions.  But I'm pretty sure in this case, they old input methods would remain.

Next, people act as if the technology is unable to evolve.  They don't even realize that current tech can recognize a certain voice and ignore the other voices and background noise.  And it's getting better every day.  My parents in their mid 70's are more and more using voice commands.

Third, they complain that they don't want to hear a bunch of colleagues talking to their computers.  Yet, if you work in a cube farm, you already have to hear colleagues collaborating or talking on the phone.  And so you probably already are wearing earbuds or something to drown out the distractions.

Fourth, it's inevitable.  It's the next step towards the holy grail of mind-reading interfaces.

would you use "voice commands" if it were just in your thoughts instead of having to verbalize it?  I think saying something is much easier than having to lean forward from my comfortable, deeply-reclined position to tap something out on a keyboard. 

It would sure be nice as an option.  I like options.

Jim Steinmeyer

I work in an open air room with 4 people, no cubical walls here. There is minimal talk and while it is easy to mostly tune it out while you are working we really can get distracted. We also are unable to carry on 4 different conversations at the same time. Which is what voice activated modeling would be. It would be very distracting here.

With that said I am not adamantly opposed to voice commands,  as long as the effort on it does not take away time and talent from working on ONE & TWO.

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

I work in an open air room with 4 people, no cubical walls here. There is minimal talk and while it is easy to mostly tune it out while you are working we really can get distracted. We also are unable to carry on 4 different conversations at the same time. Which is what voice activated modeling would be. It would be very distracting here.

With that said I am not adamantly opposed to voice commands, as long as the effort on it does not take away time and talent from working on ONE & TWO.

I think JIm, you have identified the issue for a lot of most people (me included):

1. We might use it.

2. We have no objection to it becoming an option SO LONG AS such an effort does not consume precious SWX developer resources working on more important things, such as ONE and TWO

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Golthing wrote:

What's fascinating to me is that whenever the topic of voice commands comes up on the forums, there are a bunch of people that can't imagine it working and therefore don't want it to even exist!

First, if it did exist, you probably wouldn't have to use it, so why doth thou protest so much? And, I say "probably" because I remember the interface change to the colorless icons. We were all forced into that mess, even though it would have been easy to leave the old icons as an option. So sometimes you just have to slap yourself on the forehead when it comes to some of SWX's decisions. But I'm pretty sure in this case, they old input methods would remain.

Next, people act as if the technology is unable to evolve. They don't even realize that current tech can recognize a certain voice and ignore the other voices and background noise. And it's getting better every day. My parents in their mid 70's are more and more using voice commands.

Third, they complain that they don't want to hear a bunch of colleagues talking to their computers. Yet, if you work in a cube farm, you already have to hear colleagues collaborating or talking on the phone. And so you probably already are wearing earbuds or something to drown out the distractions.

Fourth, it's inevitable. It's the next step towards the holy grail of mind-reading interfaces.

would you use "voice commands" if it were just in your thoughts instead of having to verbalize it? I think saying something is much easier than having to lean forward from my comfortable, deeply-reclined position to tap something out on a keyboard.

It would sure be nice as an option. I like options.

I don't even talk to my phone.  I talk on it, but not to it.

And I don't want to hear about mind-reading interfaces until I get a better tin foil hat.

Maha Nadarasa

In future it may be like this, who knows.

Glenn Schroeder

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

Will Solidworks be something like this in future?

DC4 Engenharia - [MODELAGEM EM TOUCH].Vejam a...

Maybe as an option, but if they take away the current interface with the keyboard and mouse I hope I'll be retired before it happens.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Did you see any dimention? It will be parametric data file or only a draft projet?

John Burrill

The future?  This is what SpaceClaim, Sketchup, MOI, Architectural Studio, GIS explorer, that 3DVia modeler for kids and about 90 million other touch packages have been hawking for the last decade along with the leap controller, flying mouse, voice input, kinnect interface and now the Microsoft Surface Ultra X-Pens V with the dial control and people are still using keyboards and mice....probably because touch interfaces are laggy, your fingers are fat and your time is money.  Hell, that push-pull, cookie cutter , handle tweaking stuff has been in SolidWorks since about 2008 and nobody uses it. 
                                                            First, what you're seeing is at best an ID tool.  Look at the work flow they're suggesting: you're sitting in your recliner with your 4000 dollar Cintiq tweeking, tugging and pulling on this....what is that....a frickin bracket?  Wait, wait wait, Tony Stark.  Who designs this way?

Where's the second monitor with the web browser, excel window, spec sheets and email?  where do you put your machinists handbook, scratch pad and and 90 postit notes?
                                                            I mean, if they were designing car bodies, or bespoke sunglasses or sex robots, I could see this kind of interface facilitating the process.  But a bracket?  Really, you think the thing that's been keeping you from designing a bracket is the lack of fluidity in having to push the extrude cut button?
                                                            What you're seeing is a movie prop designed to make you think technology is all you need to squirt out engineering like room temperature shrimp.

Also, how many people do you know who can ride a unicycle?  I mean, it's just a bicycle, but more streamlined.  Why is everyone still trucking around that second wheel when after only a few broken bones we could be working  in the future?

The answer is that CAD isn't performance art.  Multi-touch is to CAD what Aroma Therapy and Mood Lighting are to luxury sedans.  There's no money to be made impressing people with software.  

Matt Lombard

John,

I agree with the performance art thing, but direct edit is a valid method for machine design. You can make edits and that you'd never do in history-based software. Plus, you can change the design intent as you work, you don't have the limitations that history-based crystal-ball design intent requires, and you can still drive models parametrically.

The touch interface is a little dramatic, and people of our generation who grew up with that great abstraction, the computer mouse, just can't seem to get weened from it. In "the future" people aren't going to use a mouse. Touch, stylus, is going to be our first stop for real computing. With all of the mobile computing, we're already there. Just have to retire all the old guys who can't let go of the damn mouse. There are some other ergonomic problems with putting your eyes and fingers in the same place on a touch screen big enough to work on and positioned so you can actually sit in a chair and work on it effectively, but that will get worked out. I totally believe touch is a viable technical computing interface, especially for work that is as visual/geometrical as mechanical engineering and design.

When you see a demonstration like that you've got to use a little imagination. No one designs individual parts, we all design assemblies.  We all do something different, but they had to demonstrate something that most of us could relate to. So it's easy to criticize, but you have to be able to see what's useful about it.

Nobody uses the direct edit stuff in SW because it hasn't been implemented correctly. I don't get why people are not understanding that the direct edit systems have so many advantages when it comes to editing complex parts, editing import as native, eliminating rebuild time, parent/child editability conflicts, and feature order silliness. True interoperability between CAD systems comes by taking the intelligence out of the data and putting it into the tools. We all have learned to make excuses for history-based methods for the last 30 years, but that's over. Better tools exist, we just have to get to a generation of people with a little imagination who can see past this history-based dinosaur.

Neil Larsen

> a little imagination...

Since SW went full socialist in their outlook with the CAD in the cloud initiative the company has not been about innovation but protecting their corporate welfare. The company no longer has innovation at its heart as it did as a start up. This is now a walking frame and slippers operation. I don't think SW has an interest in using imagination at all, witness the ever mediocre releases devoid of gritty content. I picked up the SW2019 What's New here - think that was an accident but - re modelling, is that it!, are you kidding me!....well maybe I will just keep using SW2009 another year longer...

SW is self styled to be about intuition more than anything. That doesn't necessarily provoke new thinking, critical thought, and by default prohibits leaps that counter-intuitive consideration can bring.

SW is the birthday cake you buy out of familiar habit from the local bakery each year - fancy icing and same palatable interior as always. Nothing adventurous, nothing unusual, it's safe, bland and as expected.

If you are a dreary worn down CAD monkey you'll probably never consider what you might be missing out on and that's what SW want in their customers - loyalty to sameness, badges and points for contributions to society...

There definitely are innovative things SW could be doing but it prefers not to and most likely anyone with a different mind set has left the company because they don't have anything meaningful to do.

Come the global financial collapse, which is going to be a very serious extinction event, I think we will find that approach cannot persist. Is SW a hapless dinosaur or will something more agile and pertinent emerge from management in the nick of time?...

Matt Lombard

Yeah, I agree, although I might put it differently. SW has become your grandfather's stationwagon as a victim of their own success. They used to attract troublemakers, but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. They always wanted to be Autocad, and now they are, a bit bland and dull. I know it's hard for some people to imagine, but the new stuff is already out there, its just not getting any attention. The cloud stuff was a little disappointing. It's not innovation, just recycling computing ideas from the 1970s that we all rejected in the 1980s.

Direct edit isn't exactly new either, but some of the things companies wrap around it to make it better are. Plus, expanding ideas like functional modeling, rules based engineering, and so on could produce some interesting new tools. Rules based engineering crossed with AI would design a whole new set of products that all look the same. It will cost less but be far less interesting.

Rob Edwards

Matt Lombard wrote:

Rules based engineering crossed with AI would design a whole new set of products that all look the same. It will cost less but be far less interesting.

Our CAD tools are still soooo primitive..

When we get super computers and AI's, we'll be able to evolve perfect designs like nature does.  I don't think everything would look the same, diversity is the ultimate strength.

M. D.

AI will prove to be dumber than humans.  If you understood what nature does, then you would like the human brain.

Paul Salvador

Hello Marcus,.. yeah, I wonder...?

..hey, if anyone wants to be entertained... one movie comes to mind...

Idiocracy (2006) - Rotten Tomatoes

Rob Edwards

Hi Marcus

AI will prove to be dumber than humans.  If you understood what nature does, then you would like the human brain

I'm not so sure about that,,  I love the human brain, it's awesome!  Well my brains maybe not so awesome.. it definitely has limits to memory, cognition and lifespan.

Neural networks mimic the way we think.  AI used to use human knowledge as a starting point however Googles latest DeepMind is entirely self taught .  I really recommend the series of videos by Jerry at Chess Network about AlphaZero (The zero signifies no human coaching)

Google's self-learning AI AlphaZero masters chess in 4 hours - YouTube

AlphaGo Zero: Learning from scratch | DeepMind

Lets bear in mind that this technology is still in it's infancy (Alpha?).  What happens when we use an AI to make an AI?

The machine to make a machine to make a machine...

Nature has had billions of years to perfect it's designs, whilst AI just a few decades...

I think there is no doubt that AI will be able to solve 'big' problems that are beyond the scope of any mere mortal.

Imagine a machine that knows you personally very well, you can talk and it will help you.  Now imagine that same machine knows every other person on the planet the same way.  Science Fiction fantasy or nightmare I don't know,, its both.

but the way us humans look after our planet we may destroy it before long.  Imagine an AI capable of being a fit steward of the Earth and its resources.

Kevin Chandler

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

AI will prove to be dumber than humans. If you understood what nature does, then you would like the human brain.

Humans Need Not Apply - YouTube

An IBM computer debates humans, and wins, in a new, nuanced competition - CNET

I think Atlas | Boston Dynamics  and Handle | Boston Dynamics  would disagree with you on this statement and most likely already have other plans in EPROM for you (and me).

Perhaps as a chew toy for their cute puppy, Spot | Boston Dynamics or as a scratching post for their little kitty, WildCat | Boston Dynamics

Habib Ghalamkari

1-1DYSJLK wrote:

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

AI will prove to be dumber than humans. If you understood what nature does, then you would like the human brain.

I think Atlas | Boston Dynamics and Handle | Boston Dynamics would disagree with you on this statement and most likely already have other plans in EPROM for you (and me).

Perhaps as a chew toy for their cute puppy, Spot | Boston Dynamics or as a scratching post for their little kitty, WildCat | Boston Dynamics

I remember a day when I was a little kid and mom bought a washing machine. The first one who resisted was my father. He was saying how can a machine clean our dishes and they remain dirty. For a long time he refused to use the dishes washed by that machine.
                                                                                            Now several decade after that day, every house here is equipped with one of these machines.

Anything new seems a little bit scary for human being. But one day we open our eyes in the morning and realize we're standing in the middle of something that was forbidden or scared of before and the most amazing thing about it, is the fact that we ARE a part of it.

I believe if several cells in our brain makes us the most intelligent existance, why several chips can't be the same?
                                                                                            I'm not sure if some day human will face The Judgement Day or not, but I believe someday, we will have self aware robots among us.
                                                                                            It's only a matter of time.

Kevin Chandler

Habib Ghalamkari wrote:

1-1DYSJLK wrote:

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

I think Atlas | Boston Dynamics and Handle | Boston Dynamics would disagree with you on this statement and most likely already have other plans in EPROM for you (and me).

I remember a day when I was a little kid and mom bought a washing machine. The first one who resisted was my father. He was saying how can a machine clean our dishes and they remain dirty. For a long time he refused to use the dishes washed by that machine.
                                                                                                Now several decade after that day, every house here is equipped with one of these machines.

Anything new seems a little bit scary for human being. But one day we open our eyes in the morning and realize we're standing in the middle of something that was forbidden or scared of before and the most amazing thing about it, is the fact that we ARE a part of it.

I believe if several cells in our brain makes us the most intelligent existance, why several chips can't be the same?
                                                                                                I'm not sure if some day human will face The Judgement Day or not, but I believe someday, we will have self aware robots among us.
                                                                                                It's only a matter of time.

Hello,

<DIATRIBE>

I too purchased a dishwasher over 12 years ago when we built our new house.

But this was just succombing to the programming I received as to what I thought a house in the burbs must have.

Our dishwasher has never been used, not even once, and to save on ghost power consumption, its circuit breaker is open.

It's just not necessary other than to fill the void programmed into us.

This is true for most of what surrounds us.

And it started in earnest with Freud's nephew (Propaganda: Edward Bernays, Mark Crispin Miller: 9780970312594: Amazon.com: Books).

The broad brush term is social engineering and we are awash in it, herding the sheep mostly toward something that's usually not good or not needed and generally away from something better and necessary. ("Technology" comes to mind.)

It's progressive in scope and magnitude, so with each generation, acceptance (usually just a rationalization to keep apace of the other sheep) creeps upward with little to no critical thought or assessment.

The next time you see the word "trending", ask yourself what's actually driving that "trend". (Then ask yourself, "Who really gives a rat's?")

There are many, many examples, but why of late, are so many sheep getting tattoos?

The Bible says not to and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetary if you have one, so there's probably good reason not to do this.

But here we are.

So what's driving the acceleration of tattoos all of a sudden? And more importantly, to where is it leading us?

Reminds me of the skit where someone turns down an offer for a bag of excrement and is then told, "But, it's a free bag of excrement!"

No thank you.

</DIATRIBE>

"All change is not progress as all movement is not forward."

Cheers,

Kevin

Dave Bear

Kevin Chandler wrote:

There are many, many examples, but why of late, are so many sheep getting tattoos?

The Bible says not to and you can't be buried in a Jewish cemetary if you have one, so there's probably good reason not to do this.

But here we are.

So what's driving the acceleration of tattoos all of a sudden? And more importantly, to where is it leading us?

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Whilst I can see the point you are making I am a bit miffed a being called a 'sheep' for having tattoos (I'm covered in them).

Yep, I do know people that just follow the trend and get inked because their mate did, but each of mine are carefully thought about, have meaning, and tell part of my life. I am a tree and these are my rings............

Dave.

Kevin Chandler

Dave Bear wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

But here we are.

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Whilst I can see the point you are making I am a bit miffed a being called a 'sheep' for having tattoos (I'm covered in them).

Yep, I do know people that just follow the trend and get inked because their mate did, but each of mine are carefully thought about, have meaning, and tell part of my life. I am a tree and these are my rings............

Dave.

Hello Mr. Bear ,

Please don't be miffed about the tats as that's not what's behind my diatribe.

In the tats example, it's the recent "acceleration" and what's driving it that was the question.

I don't know about down under, but here in the US, it's accelerating rapidly...why so?

We are all sheep in the context that we are continually being herded from "trend" to "trend" and many of the flock simply trot along, accepting it's okay or necessary with little thought whether it actually is or not.

But it's not about the tats...or any other specific item of the infinite number of items surrounding us.

It's about who's driving the bus?

And why do we get on the bus when we know not the driver, the destination nor the fare?

I see the rapid uptick in tats merely as another harbinger of us being steered. Which is my rub.

So, my apologies to you, sir, for offending you and all others who made a deliberate choice.

However, this apology does not extend to those who simply follow along (with anything).

To these people, I ask, "What does Google Trends tell you about how well critical thinking is trending?"

Cheers,

Kevin

Sebastyon Champion

very well said Dave.  I also have many many tattoos.  Whilst I'm not a Jew, the cemetery thing really doesn't bother me...

I look at it this way... 60 years ago only "bad" people  (Criminals) and Bikers had tattoos.  Now almost everyone does.   I wouldn't call it a trend.  Trends come and go.  To me its like saying "oh you got an iphone"  which was a trend 20 years ago, is now an everyday norm.

Rob Edwards

The next time you see the word "trending", ask yourself what's actually driving that "trend". (Then ask yourself, "Who really gives a rat's?")

Cheers,

Kevin

Hi Kevin

Your post reminded me of this TED talk on memes..

Susan Blackmore: Memes and "temes" | TED Talk

I've not watched it in a lot of years, but it's stuck in my brain.

John Layne

I've read a few articles on direct edit (mostly yours) and watched a few videos; it's an impressive technology.

If it weren't just too hard to change CAD systems, due cost and time involved, especially if there is more than one CAD user. I'd personally switch to a CAD system that had it correctly implemented.

Paul Salvador

".., but direct edit is a valid method for machine design. "

Yep, exactamundo!

(crystal ball time),.. in the future (estimate >~10-20yrs) it will be some sort of direct everything..  the next gen or designers/engineers will demand it and the next gen of managers.... yeah, you ALL know them... the ones who do NOT use the software but decide what to buy/use.... yep.... as the world churns,..  that's why.

Oh,.. I don't believe direct everything will be faster,..  history has shown, every gen goes thru changes.. and it will take decades to improve/refine.

The NEXT gen after that (again, Machine Design).. will be all about AI and how it works with ASSETS (links will all be controlled by the vendors... which you will have to buy... $$$$)

..

M. D.

VR Gloves.

Dave Bear

LMAO....................

Just walk into work one day with another piece of technology called a 'Voice Cloner', select your manager's voice and scream "DELETE ALL FILES, CONFIRM, YES!"

Dave.

Igor Fomenko

I see the future of SW in a compound of:

Solving of all present bugs

Autodesk Inventor iLogic and weldment frame design in assembly file

PTC Creo or Inventor BOM

Tekla automation for connections of beams

Grasshopper way for geometry creation

Rhino 3D - Grasshopper - Tekla: roof space frame - YouTube

At present moment I can`t create this simple model Is it impossible task for SW?

Tom Gagnon

Regardless of interface, I think that the best apparent feature of the future is time-lapse. We'll get SO MUCH done. I can't wait to never wait again.

S. Leacox

I don't want anything fancy. I just want the program to work as needed.

No bugs

Help applies to menu system one year back from current

If you look something up in help, it tells you where to find the command, and defines all the switches in the command. Right now help states what it can do, but now how to find it.

If the program state an error, the error message should be able to be looked up

Data from part to draft or external data flows easy (Anything about the part)

Does not crash

This appears to be a huge task, because they just can't do it.

Screw the fancy stuff, how about just working right.

Jim Steinmeyer

S. Leacox wrote:

.....

If you look something up in help, it tells you where to find the command, and defines all the switches in the command. Right now help states what it can do, but now how to find it.

.....

This has been and continues to be my biggest gripe with the help files.

"Ya, you can do that."

OK, TELL ME HOW!

Capture.JPG

I thought there was a place at the bottom where you were asked if the file was helpful and input was encouraged. I did not see one here. This file was about as helpful as an extra hole in the head.

Dennis Dohogne

Jim, the feedback on the Help is only available when you select a specific item to review.  In your example you are showing the results of a search.  In the screengrab below I had selected Hiding and Showing Views.  The Feedback on this topic is in the upper right.

Jim Steinmeyer

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Jim, the feedback on the Help is only available when you select a specific item to review. In your example you are showing the results of a search. In the screengrab below I had selected Hiding and Showing Views. The Feedback on this topic is in the upper right.

So what you are saying, is that I need to drill down one more level and the help is there? I will try it next time.

Thank you

Dennis Dohogne

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Jim, the feedback on the Help is only available when you select a specific item to review. In your example you are showing the results of a search. In the screengrab below I had selected Hiding and Showing Views. The Feedback on this topic is in the upper right.

So what you are saying, is that I need to drill down one more level and the help is there? I will try it next time.

Thank you

Exactly.  If its not there then you have a funky installation, but I'll bet it's there.  Enjoy.

Neville Williams

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

"Ya, you can do that."

OK, TELL ME HOW!

Exactly !!!

Jim Wilkinson

Jim Steinmeyer wrote:

"Ya, you can do that."

OK, TELL ME HOW!

Capture.JPG

I thought there was a place at the bottom where you were asked if the file was helpful and input was encouraged. I did not see one here. This file was about as helpful as an extra hole in the head.

I'm replying to Jim's post directly to have the original image in my reply.

This is not a search result as Dennis Dohogne mentions, but rather a content page for a sub-section within the help.

Here is a direct link to it in the web help: 2018 SOLIDWORKS Help - Hiding and Showing Drawing Elements

There are many different ways to hide and show drawing elements instead of having one topic that would be pages and pages long, this page lists all of the different related help topics for hiding/showing elements in drawings with short descriptions of each. Based on reading those descriptions to identify what type of hide/show you want, if you click on any of the blue topic headers in that list, it will go one level deeper to the help topic on that particular subject and every single one of those tells you how to perform that hide/show function. If we were to "tell you how" for all 8 of those subtopics, with all the variations of how to do it at one top level page, the topic would be massive and extremely hard to read/parse.

As for the feedback on help topics, as long as you are using the web help (it is not available in the local help), there is the "Feedback on this topic" link in the upper right, even on these types of content pages.

I hope this helps,

Jim

Jim Steinmeyer

Jim Wilkinson,

Thank you for your response. I have often been frustrated when using the help files for this reason. I was unaware of the need or ability to drill deeper. Would it be possible for these menu pages to have a disclaimer or guidance indicating this? If Neville, S. Leacox and I are all sharing this challenge I am sure there are many more that also could use this information.

Completely unrelated but while I have your ear, I am having problems logging on to the Beta Forums. I seem to be in an endless loop. Sign into the customer portal, go to the Beta home and select the forums, get directed to login and select the login button which takes me....back to the customer portal where it shows I am already logged in. Is there somewhere different I need to look? I am on subscription service and have previously signed up for Beta but haven't installed 2019 yet.

Dennis Dohogne

S. Leacox wrote:

No bugs

Help applies to menu system one year back from current

If the program state an error, the error message should be able to be looked up

Data from part to draft or external data flows easy (Anything about the part)

Does not crash

This appears to be a huge task, because they just can't do it.

You haven't been on the forum very long so you have missed A LOT along the lines of your comments.  Rick Becker started this post, ONE and TWO, and it got a lot of attention on this forum and with SWX corporate.  ONE and TWO is quite lengthy, but you should be interested in reading the trip reports from me: A Visit with SolidWorks’ Leadership, Nov 15, 2017, and Rick:  Trip Report to SW Headquarters Representing ONE and TWO - 11/15/17.

One of the last things we said to these guys was along the lines of "We'll believe it when we see it."  I have been using SWX continuously since its very first release in 1995.  I was livid with SWX2017 SP0-3, but I must say that SWX2018 SP3.0 is among the most stable and trouble-free versions I've ever used.

They do listen to concrete suggestions.  They have re-focused their efforts on the stability of the software and have dedicated resources to that effort at unprecedented levels.  (That information was divulged at SWWorld this year.)

Neville Williams

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

They do listen to concrete suggestions. They have re-focused their efforts on the stability of the software and have dedicated resources to that effort at unprecedented levels. (That information was divulged at SWWorld this year.)

Interesting reading Dennis.

I suppose the only comment I would have (and I would imagine alot of others) is why is it like getting "blood out of a stone", to have Dassault divulged this tidbit.

If they were a bit more proactive in this area it would generate alot more brownie points to be alot more open.

There seems to be an opaque membrane installed by Dassault between the company and the users.

As S. Leacox wrote

Most of us don't want anything fancy. We just want the program to work as needed.

This is so true. Help needs some Help.

I have just spent about 10 minutes trying to find weldment cutlist info for standard properties $PRPWLD...

I would of thought a link to list these would appear on RH side of help window.

Weldment Properties does not even come up on search must be some kind of secret known only to coders & geeks....!!

Jim Wilkinson

Neville Williams wrote:

This is so true. Help needs some Help.

I have just spent about 10 minutes trying to find weldment cutlist info for standard properties. I would of thought a link to list these would appear on RH side of help window. Weldment Properties does not even come up on search must be some kind of secret known only to coders & geeks....!!

Hi Neville,

It looks like you are using the local help instead of the web help. Any particular reason why? The search in the local help is on old Microsoft viewer search which SOLIDWORKS has no control over. If you turn on web help under the help menu (which should be turned on by default with all installations), the help will use web based help where SOLIDWORKS has much more control over the search engine. This link will give you the results of searching "weldment properties" and I am guessing the results are ordered in a much more relevant way:

http://help.solidworks.com/SearchEx.aspx?q=weldment+properties&sort=&version=2018&lang=English&prod=SolidWorks

I hope this helps,

Jim

Neville Williams

Hi Jim,

No particular reason really.

I'm probably just used to hitting help in menu and have it tell me what I need to know - like it used to years ago.

Would be nice if Dassault could have the offline help kept up to date in all their SP updates??.

Some places I work I do not have nice offices, with comfy chairs, let alone access to internet !!

Jim Wilkinson

Neville Williams wrote:

Hi Jim,

No particular reason really.

I'm probably just used to hitting help in menu and have it tell me what I need to know - like it used to years ago.

Would be nice if Dassault could have the offline help kept up to date in all their SP updates??.

Some places I work I do not have nice offices, with comfy chairs, let alone access to internet !!

Hi Neville,

So it sounds like there is a particular reason; you don't have internet access sometimes, so you probably turned the web help off.

Yes, the web help is always up to date with the latest service pack; that is one of the nice benefits of it.

No, the local help is not automatically updated with each service pack and never has been. We do not put updated help files in the service packs because the local help files are massive and the service pack files would therefore be much larger. The local files are a Microsoft CHM file format and unfortunately, Microsoft provides no means of updating just the changed pages of this type of help file; we have to push a new CHM file if anything within it has changed. The majority of users use the web help, so if we did include the updated local files in the service pack updates, every user would pay the price of having much larger service pack updates to download, even if they don't use the local help.

But, you can actually get the latest local help files for a service pack by going through the manual download method for service packs and choosing the "SolidWorks Help" option under Step 4 - Required Updates" of the manual downloads. That manual download method is available on the service pack download section, once you pick the service pack and accept the EULA. On the next page, skip all the stuff at the top and click on the link at the bottom in this test:

manual-download.png

Thanks,

Jim

Habib Ghalamkari

S. Leacox wrote:

Because SW doesn't work just right, I'm looking for something fancy.