6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 6:22 PM by Salman Faiz

Stock Part Feature Rename - Save Bodies

Salman Faiz

Hi All,

I do use 'Save Bodies' feature to create my assemblies and will use 'Pack and Go' to re-use these assemblies with different size on other project. I use Find/Replace function in Pack and Go for renaming. It works absolutely fine with only exception of Stock Part Feature name in individual part which stays the same as per the Master File name when first time save body was created.

I am hoping someone could help me out here. For example in the screenshot below, I have part name as 07258-N0020-001 having a MASTER File name of 07258-N0020-MASTER however Stock feature name is as per the previous project from where it was copied.

Note that, I know how to manually rename it in each individual part but it is very cumbersome and tedious process.

Any suggestions will be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Salman

• Re: Stock Part Feature Rename - Save Bodies
          Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

To me you must to follow this steps

give name to your new part

When you open it save

Made the same thing with the another parts

Open SW Explorer Pack and go and rename it after

put your new folder

Save

Rename but untick reference with the old ones

Open new one

and export a new files again

I modify each one without any issue and both files haven't got any link

Salman Faiz

But this involves lot of manual tasks and sometimes I will have more than 100 parts which will take enormous amount of time. I think software has a limitation regarding this renaming feature.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Yes this is true sorry why you doing as multi body part? maybe as assy will be better at this case...is there a discussion about this kind of issues...assy vs multi body parts.

Sometimes Assy will be better, maybe the first steps what you must follow is think, what kind of issues will be have at the end of your projet and then after start it.

Salman Faiz

Hi Ruben,

I do create an assembly from a multi body part using SW Save Bodies feature. This way I have one single MASTER Sketch part file which is my controlling source and multi-body allows me to automate many different processes and gives a better control over BOM and management of files.

Stock feature name is not a show stopper however it would have been nice if software was smart enough to pick it during Pack & Go. As Rob suggested below, it seems more of like a software limitation.

Regards,

Salman

Rob Edwards

Salman Faiz wrote:

But this involves lot of manual tasks and sometimes I will have more than 100 parts which will take enormous amount of time. I think software has a limitation regarding this renaming feature.

Hi Salman

I've been following this thread because I have the same idea as you. 

The auto rename feature in save bodies uses the body name, I wonder if a macro to rename the bodies with the file name and a number would help?

Have you contacted your VAR ?  It does seem like a limitation that should be fixed

Salman Faiz

Hi Rob,

I do have a macro to rename the files which I use before using Save Body option. I have to define the prefix and the macro pics up each body in the multi body part and assign it a name with a prefix and 3 digit number code at the end which starts from 001 and ends at 999.

I believe this is a limitation in the software. I would have expected the software to automatically rename the stock feature to the MASTER sketch part file it is linked too.

Could possible will require a macro to rename it to the parent file however I don't have any code for that as yet.

Regards,

Salman