9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 12:13 PM by Jim Sculley

PDM Database size estimation

Ethan Kay

I am working for a company which has made the transition over the last 20 years from paper drawings to AutoCAD, to Mechanical Desktop, to Inventor, and now to SolidWorks. However unless something actually needs to be redrawn we still use, and update, the paper or AC drawings.  I've spent around 20 hours sorting the piles of paper that built up due to a heavy work load over the last year as it helps me learn the filing structure and the products.  We have somewhere in the vicinity of 20-30,000 drawings in various forms, maybe more since I'm just getting familiar with it.  

What I'm wondering is how to estimate the database size that would result from slowly adding all the drawings PDM to determine if I should be pushing PDM Standard or Professional?  Do different file types affect the record size differently: SolidWorks file vs PDF file?

Thanks

• Re: PDM Database size estimation
          Christian Chu

One of the main reason for PDM is to control rev.

Unless you need to modify (bumping rev.) the autocad, mechanical desktop or Inventor files, there is no need to put them in the Vault but in separate archive

and you can save much space for your SW vault

Jim Sculley

Ethan Kay wrote:

I am working for a company which has made the transition over the last 20 years from paper drawings to AutoCAD, to Mechanical Desktop, to Inventor, and now to SolidWorks. However unless something actually needs to be redrawn we still use, and update, the paper or AC drawings. I've spent around 20 hours sorting the piles of paper that built up due to a heavy work load over the last year as it helps me learn the filing structure and the products. We have somewhere in the vicinity of 20-30,000 drawings in various forms, maybe more since I'm just getting familiar with it.

What I'm wondering is how to estimate the database size that would result from slowly adding all the drawings PDM to determine if I should be pushing PDM Standard or Professional? Do different file types affect the record size differently: SolidWorks file vs PDF file?

Thanks

Database size is dependent on many factors.  It would be very difficult to estimate database size from file count alone.  The decision between Standard and Pro is typically made due to factors other than DB size.  For instance, our PDM pro database is currently 2.2GB.  We've been using PDM for 8 years and the archive server reports 902000 files in the vault.  Unless you have a huge number of variables on your data cards, 30,000 files should not cause any database issues.

Ethan Kay

I was curious how many unique records that is though.  I haven't had much chance to dig into the database behind SolidWorks PDM but I'm assuming that some information is retained in a master record while others vary by revision.  30K unique part numbers is different than 10K with an average of 3 revs.  I can't really see us keeping many attributes since right now we just have drawing number, machine type, drawn by, date, and customer in a paper log book.  I would like to add revision control to this.

Michael Dekoning

As Jim Sculley says it is difficult to estimate what the database size will be. There will be additional entries for files that have references (SOLIDWORKS, Inventor, etc.) vs. PDFs and scans, for each revision (and version), for each PDM variable, for each folder, for each file in a folder. Basically anything that you view in the history of a file is a record in the database. Individually many of these do not add much to the size of the database but they do add up.

Ethan Kay

Going back through this I realized I read your post as 90.2K files not 902K files.

Christian Chu
                    What I'm wondering is how to estimate the database size that would result from slowly adding all the drawings PDM to determine if I should be pushing PDM Standard or Professional?  Do different file types affect the record size differently: SolidWorks file vs PDF file?

Just to verify: are you asking about the archive server or database server (Vault database)

Archive Server is where you save the actual SW or other format files

Database Server: is where the meta data files (text files) are saved

Jim Steinmeyer

Ethan,

One thing to remember is that the size limitation in PDM standard is for the MetaData and not for the actual files. The files will be stored on the server outside of the storage limited with PDM Std. So there should be no need to worry about the storage limitations. Now all the different file types might be a different story. I don't know which file types can be stored with PDM Std. I would scan in all of those old drawings that you no longer have a means to access electronically and save them as PDFs. If the files are used again it will be very helpful to have them at least "stored" in the vault so that you can rapidly look them up.

Also remember that you will only have PDM Std. seats for the number of SW Pro and Premium seats you have unless you buy extra seats.