4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2018 3:50 PM by Joseph Nolan

Violin Simulation

Joseph Nolan

Hi everyone. I'm trying to model how the frequency from a note (i.e. A440) travels across a violin top. I've been using frequency study in SolidWorks simulation, which is great for finding resonant frequencies, but doesn't seem to have an option to let me drive my own frequency like I would a force. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to map vibration from an applied frequency? For reference, I've started with a simplified model of just the violin top and the bridge.

• Re: Violin Simulation
          Ryan Dark

Hi Joseph,

The type of analysis you are looking to run would be a Linear Dynamic Harmonic analysis (part of Simulation Premium) where you define a "Base Excitation" boundary on your model with an applied force/acceleration/displacement/etc. versus frequency curve applied to it.  That base excitation would act as the applied vibration to the model and the results you get from that study should tell you how the violin is reacting to that (stresses and displacements).

Bill McEachern

With all due respect for Ryan, if you want to see the wave propagation you should really be doing a transient dynamic analysis as opposed to a steady state dynamic analysis (i.e. a harmonic analysis). The steady state dynamic analysis only provide response values at, and around, the previously computed natural frequencies. The results are provided in the frequency domain and not the time domain. This assumes I understood your question correctly which I may not have since you seemed pretty happy with Ryan's suggestion.

Joseph Nolan

Hi Bill. Thanks for the input! As of right now, I'm in the initial stages of my project, so I think a steady state analysis would be perfect to get a general idea of what a basic model would look like. As my work progresses, I'll definitely look into how to account for transient behavior. Thanks again for the help!