5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 2:56 PM by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Auto Filling title block.

Minkyu Bae

On the drawing progress, was having little hard time changing all title block separately.

I made a drawing file with 11 sheets inside.

I just copied and pasted title block to each sheet.

title block includes, project name, title of sheet, scale, date, drawn by, and revision date.

In one drawing file, Project name, date, drawn by and revision date will be same in 11 sheets

but the scale and title of the sheets has to be changed.

But the problem is, whenever if I have to change the date or project name or etc, I have to go into the sheet and change everything manually.

So the question is,

is it possible to make a title block that includes those information but it automatically changes something that is common in file, (eg. date, project name)

but i can change the uncommon part (eg. scale, title of sheet) on each separate sheet.

Thank you

• Re: Auto Filling title block.
          S. Casale

My friend, let me give you two words. If you use these all powerful and wise two words appropriately, you can make SolidWorks an iridescent beauty of a drawing program with an auto-populating title block.

Custom Properties.

How you do this will require a little bit of research and education using SolidWorks resources. But really, start with the Custom Properties.

Glenn Schroeder

First of all, you're creating a lot of extra work by copying and pasting.  If you'll go into "Edit sheet format" mode and set up your title block, then exit and save the sheet format, whenever you add a sheet using the same sheet format the new sheet will use the same title block, with the same notes.  You can link these notes to custom properties, either from the Drawing or model.  So it's very easy to have all sheets display the same notes, and have them all update together.

As far as the scale, the recommended practice is to have your scale note linked to the sheet scale, change the sheet scale in the drawing sheet properties, and set your drawing views to sheet scale.  That way the view scale and the note will always match, without manual input.

For the sheet title, you can link the sheet name note in the title block to the sheet name, then right-click on the sheet tab, choose "Rename", enter the desired name, and then the title block note will update when you rebuild.

You might want to check out What's the difference between a sheet format and drawing template? for more information about sheet formats.  And I know this is a lot of information, and you'll probably have more questions, but feel free to come back and ask.

Dennis Dohogne

Minkyu Bae wrote:

On the drawing progress, was having little hard time changing all title block separately.

I made a drawing file with 11 sheets inside.

I just copied and pasted title block to each sheet.

title block includes, project name, title of sheet, scale, date, drawn by, and revision date.

In one drawing file, Project name, date, drawn by and revision date will be same in 11 sheets

but the scale and title of the sheets has to be changed.

But the problem is, whenever if I have to change the date or project name or etc, I have to go into the sheet and change everything manually.

So the question is,

is it possible to make a title block that includes those information but it automatically changes something that is common in file, (eg. date, project name)

but i can change the uncommon part (eg. scale, title of sheet) on each separate sheet.

Thank you

There is a lot you can do just by using the Part and Drawing properties.  Here is a screengrab of the Custom Properties I have in my default Part Template:

When I start a new part my habit is to go into these properties and edit fields as shown above.

For the drawing I have these for the file properties:

The title block is setup like this (as seen when Editing Sheet Format of the drawing template):

The red items all come from the properties of the Part file.  The green and blue all come from the drawing properties including the sheet scale and the particular configuration of the part being used as the primary reference.

Filling out the part and drawing properties as shown above yields a title block like this:

Now, to your comment about the scale.  The drawing sheet scale is tied only to that sheet  and is independent of the other sheets.  If your drawing views are tied to the sheet scale then when you change the sheet scale to affect the scale of the views everything will be properly synchronized.

So now when sheet 1 has one scale and sheet 2 has a different scale the title block will be automatically updated.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

I attach for you my template....