2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2018 7:31 PM by Siavash Khajehhasani

can we do Aluminium die cast flow simulation and tool design in solidworks flow simulation.

Senthil E.

One of my customer asked me that shall we do die cast flow simulation in solidworks..i was searched in net but i didnt find correct answer,can anyone tell me the suggestion

• Re: can we do Aluminium die cast flow simulation and tool design in solidworks flow simulation.
          Janko Stellaard

S-061271

Can SOLIDWORKS® Flow Simulation simulate the flow of molten aluminum?

The SOLIDWORKS® Flow Simulation developers wrote the following: “We can consider molten aluminum as a liquid both Newtonian and non-Newtonian. For Non-Newtonian liquid user should know its viscosity to set it in Engineering Data Base. We can consider its flow and heat transfer. But it should be a liquid. Any phase transformation we cannot consider for this liquid.”

SOLIDWORKS Flow Simulation is capable of computing laminar flows of inelastic non-Newtonian Liquids as described in the “technicalreference.pdf” starting on page 1-13 through 1-15. All available non-Newtonian viscosity models are based on the assumption that the flow’s shear stress is a function of the flow’s shear rate. There are five viscosity models of inelastic non-Newtonian viscous liquids available in the Engineering Database. Each of these viscosity models require very specific user-defined information regarding the non-Newtonian liquid.

There are many different types of non-Newtonian fluids for example viscoelastic and time-independent. Each of these two non-Newtonian types also have subtypes including shear thickening, shear thinning, thixotropic, and Kelvin fluids. The non-Newtonian fluid properties are every important, because there are so many different types of non-Newtonian fluids. The non-Newtonian effects of molten plastic are very different from molten metal due to these different types of non-Newtonian fluids. There are big differences in non-Newtonian affects among different types of plastics and molten metals.  In addition there is a very large difference in molten temperatures of plastics and metals. In general it all depends on the non-Newtonian fluid properties users have for their fluid material at the temperatures they expected to simulate.

• Re: can we do Aluminium die cast flow simulation and tool design in solidworks flow simulation.
            Siavash Khajehhasani

A SW solution is: Plastic Simulation (it is different from Flow Simulation and you have to purchase the licence) or go with Autodesk MoldFlow; both are powerful tools.