12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 26, 2018 4:40 AM by Rob Edwards

can I put a zero length dimension on drawing?

Bernard Pepito Malolos

I am doing a stack-up analysis on assembly drawing. There are 2 edges that are coplanar and on my current view, their distance is 0mm.

Is it possible to show these as dimension on solidworks drawing?

Thanks!

• Re: can I put a zero length dimension on drawing?
          Rob Edwards

Hi Bernard

I have the same problem, my work needs dims that are sometimes zero.

I cannot add a zero dim, but I can add a dim and then make it zero.

There are no longer any dimension lines though

Matthew Lorono

Typically, if two objects are colinear/coplanar, there are other methods provided in Drafting that allow you to detail these.  Would you be able to provide a real world case for a 0 linear dimension where common drafting practices do not satisfy your needs?

Rob Edwards

Hi Matthew

I hope you don't mind me butting in, but now that I'm back on subs I was considering submitting an enhancement request for this.

I have to confess I don't really do 'proper' drafting, we're just common garden woodworkers, but I like to use the 'Insert Model Items' functionality in my drawings.

Most of our models are a bit like 'Russian Dolls' with one part nested inside another all the way down.

Typically each model has two top level sketches that drive them.  Ex_Dims and Margin.

The margin are just an offset in each direction from the external dims.

So in a typical scenario for me of a door frame.

We might want to make it

• bigger than the ex-dims to scribe it on site
                • exact size
                • smaller than ex-dims to give clearance

For a rectangular doorway, these are all independent in each direction, which gives a lot of possible variations.

For example long and skinny, or just bigger on the right.

The ability to alter the dimension directly on the drawing when using model items is so useful but it is quite frustrating having to contend with this.

Notice how the Zeros just float around in space

Thanks

Rob

2016 attached

Jeremy Feist

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Typically, if two objects are colinear/coplanar, there are other methods provided in Drafting that allow you to detail these. Would you be able to provide a real world case for a 0 linear dimension where common drafting practices do not satisfy your needs?

we have cases where things are nominally co-planar that we need to dimension to specifically call out the tolerance, partially because it is different than the block tolerance on the drawing. our current work-around is to add a sketch entity at a small offset.

Chris Michalski

Ordinate dimensions often work best in cases like this.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

An aside: Be mindful of this dimension because, now that it's specified, default tolerances apply, UOS.

So, is it applicable to be on the far side of zero? It's not like an ordinate origin.

Perhaps model things with the max acceptable gap and tolerance it as a max with zero as the min.

Or if it's butted against, add a note: "TOP OF ITEM XX FLUSH TO INDICATED FACE OF ITEM YY"

Cheers,

Kevin

Bernard Pepito Malolos

Hi All,

Thank you very much for your response on this query. I would like to summarize the answers and express this regarding to my original question.

A clarification, the intent of my interest of putting a "zero" dimension is to use it on a stack-up analysis. There is a part on this analysis where it is clearer if I can put a dimension for 2 collinear/coplanar edges.

Based on your feedbacks, this can't be normally done at solidworks. So turn-arounds or alternatives are all that I can use for now.

The alternative more useful and easier for me is to add a line or point on the drawing with <0.000001 distance from line of interest then make a dimensional measurement; Or use any distance then change it to "zero" as Rob did.

Unfortunately, I cannot dimension the feature as ordinate for the stack-up analysis, I needed dimensions of size.

Hi Rob, I was surprised to know that a dimension of 0 would be of use to someone, too. When you have a drawing with zero dimension, do you show it on your drawing or hide it? Because as also commented, you can put annotations on the 0 dimension to indicate a note and define its specifics, if any - haha, this is just what I thought and is my opinion.

Rob Edwards

Bernard Pepito Malolos wrote:

Hi Rob, I was surprised to know that a dimension of 0 would be of use to someone, too. When you have a drawing with zero dimension, do you show it on your drawing or hide it? Because as also commented, you can put annotations on the 0 dimension to indicate a note and define its specifics, if any - haha, this is just what I thought and is my opinion.

Hi Bernard

As I alluded to in my response to Matthew I'm not a proper engineer.  We do 16th Century woodwork and our joiners just understand the tolerances required (when to sharpen their pencil!)  The dimensions on a drawing are more indicative of the visual proportions.  The nature of wood is both forgiving and punishing.  For example, the joints used will easily pull up the shoulders 'water tight' despite discrepancies of a mm but the width of a board is inherently unstable and could well expand/shrink +/- 3% depending on relative humidity.

The real challenge we face as a company is producing drawings very quickly/cheaply.

I treat SW as just another tool to get the job done and will use/abuse any functionality I can.

When we bought the software the sales rep promised us that Solidworks could easily handle our work, but the reality that has transpired is that creating bespoke one-off designs is extremely challenging to do within budget.  For this reason I have had to get creative.

I like to use Insert Model Items into a drawing so that I can alter my model from the drawing itself.  Often my parts have quite complex parametric relations and equations in the background and it can be quite confusing (especially for someone else) to make changes.

For this reason I like to create a drawing that is more like a control panel for setting up the model with a view for each element that can be driven.

A simple example I have shared on this forum before is this diamond pattern generator.

It is reasonably conceivable that any of the highlighted dimensions could be zero

Notice how changing the start position to zero alters the pattern

The above looks fine to me, but it's not so nice with the edge offsets set to zero

This is a small issue really but when I saw your post I replied because I have had the same frustration.

If I mark a dimension to be inserted into the drawing it is because I want it in the drawing!

I don't care if it's zero, or is in a sketch that has not been used to create a feature, I would like to be able to choose

but...

I do understand that Solidworks is primarily designed to comply with standards (of which I know nothing) however when I solve a problem I try and make a general solution.  It would be nice if Dassault Systems would allow Solidworks to be tailored to the many needs of its wide user base.

Anyway I'm glad I could help.  I believe there's usually a way to get what you want.

Rob

2015 attached