15 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2018 9:20 PM by Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Vessels and Drawings.

David Matula

Using SolidWorks to build pressure Vessels is great for the modeling. 

Who else is making Vessels?

How do you Handle the Schedule of openings?

Is there a way that I can automate filling out the chart?

• Re: Vessels and Drawings.
          Peter Kennedy

How are you modeling your nozzles? Can you make the information you need, a self populating custom property and then have the chart pull that property?

David Matula

I thought about that but how would one distinguish between n1 or n15?

as on this assembly I may have N1 as a 2" 300#  and on the next N2 is the 2" 300#

putting all the info into the parts is not difficult getting it to show up where you need it in the chart is what has me baffled.

Every pipe is a different part # and every flange has a part # along with every coupling or couplet.

Peter Kennedy

Sorry I don't really deal with vessels that often, but when you say schedule of opening would that vary between nozzles that are the same? I'm assuming your talking about the thickness, but I'm not sure are you able to clarify that?

Are each nozzle it's own assembly or do you have multiple nozzles in one assembly. If so are you breaking each nozzle into it's own spool? Again I'm assuming you are using Routing Addin, is that correct?

David Matula

We save routing for the pipe between the vessels. 

There has been an extensive library of flanges with schedules linked to part #'s for our MRP system.

each Nozzle will be a part the pipe is mated to the shell then the flange is mated to the pipe as separate parts.

Peter Kennedy

Sorry I'm still confused on what is the exact property are you trying to get to populate in your chart, is it the schedule of the piping, the class of your flange, some other property?

David Matula

Peter Kennedy wrote:

Sorry I'm still confused on what is the exact property are you trying to get to populate in your chart, is it the schedule of the piping, the class of your flange, some other property?

If I could figure out how to read properties from a part in to the right row.  I would be set.  I could have 99% of the table filled out when I insert the model into a drawing view.

looking to fill out the size rating and type for all rows then if I can do that I can get the rest I need to work out happen.

Peter Kennedy

Could you make a custom BOM and using indented have that data saved as custom property and then have the columns pull that data? If you're making your nozzles a spool within the Vessel Assembly then you should be able to have the information populate into the custom properties as needed.

But without actually seeing an example and trying to work out a solution that's the only think I can think of at the moment.

David Matula

That sounds interesting....Exclude all the shells and pipes and other info from the bom and then only the nozzles will show up. 

I wonder what that would do to the other bom I use to list all the parts?

Peter Kennedy

You should be able to make a new template and when you go to insert the table just make sure the correct template is selected, as long as you aren't making the adjustments in the drawing it shouldn't affect the other BOM, I ran a quick test and added two separate BOM and everything worked okay.

One thing to watch out for is Balloons tied to BOM make sure they reference the right one.

Tom Gagnon

I can think of ways to unnecessarily complicate it, which I don't think is purely helpful. That is, there must be a finite amount of nozzles at which the effort of automation is justified over handling it manually.

Is your vessel a part or assembly? or can it be both? Features cannot have custom properties, but components can if it was an assembly. PTB would work ok for differentiating N1 from N8. This to me sounds like the easy way. As it is needed to be a part (for simulations?), save it as such and proceed. Your Nozzle list could even be a customized BOM table that only looks for these items and ignores others.

To me, the very hard and expensive way would be to define it in Routing. You could develop specifications for nozzle ends, and apply them to your single part vessel as a CPoint. Associate all relevant data into that specification. Then, CPoint1 is N1, and carries the instanced data to be extracted in a table. I have not tried that myself, but I'm trying to think outside the instructions to achieve what you want.

(Edit, background, context: I buy vessels. Only when really needed, we model them. We receive 2D approval drawings, and use those for arrangement drawings to customer. If we need to design platforms and ladders, we'll mock it up though I know it's envelope. I'm very familiar with that list and what you're after, only by receiving it not making it.)

David Matula

assembly, ever pipe and flange is mated into the assembly as needed.  No sub assemblies allowed unless we buy the parts pre assembled. 

Let me know if you need a vessel built.  We build them for our compressors and for other customers also.

Simulations are usually carried out by another program that has all the ASME calculations.

I used the property tab builder to add properties to the schedule but it is manual entry.

I would like to be able to link drawing dimensions to this table but they are not easily editable as part dims, as far as naming them so that I could at least be able to delete a dim and then add one back and rename it and have it show up in the right cell.

Tom Gagnon

IIRC, you're in Texas. I possibly already have ordered from you. Then again, I understand there are many such companies in that area.

Alas, as a lowly designer, I cannot decide where money goes. Message me a biz card or website and I can pass it along to estimating!

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Tomorrow I will send you one pressure vessel what I used it has manual input for few rows data. Check it maybe it will be give some extra idea...