21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 21, 2018 11:36 AM by Tom Gagnon

Dimensioning a tube that is twisted

Travis Wesley

I have a roll cage model that I need to dimension each piece of bent tubing. The tubing is bent and twisted so I'm unsure of how to put a drawing together for each piece of tubing and dimension it. If anyone could give me guidance with the attached piece then that would be great so I can continue on with the other pieces. Thanks!

• Re: Dimensioning a tube that is twisted
          Andrew Schutte

Travis,

This isn't a terribly easy thing to accomplish, but it can be done. My question would be what kind of dimension are you looking for in the end? A singular length value? A dimension per section, strait and bent?

I'm assuming it's how long of tubing do you need to start with and make all the bends?

Tom Gagnon

I don't mean to criticize your workflow, as I can see that you're starting with an imported body and modifying it. Was that imported body from internal work, or from an outside source? What I'm getting at is, I'd start very differently by a 3D Sketch and weldment features. What I do in that case is to measure the total lengths of the centerline path (edit sketch, Filter Sketch Segments, ctrl+A select all, Measure), copy that value, and paste it unitless into a custom part property called TOTLength. Then, I can call out the manually defined value into a note or table.

(I digress.) A Shell feature could have achieved what you altered with creating a plane, sketch, and cut-revolve several times.

For your purposes with what you have, I'd reverse-engineer the 3D Sketch which would have driven the Weldment I'd have used. Start 3D Sketch, convert entities of the seam edge circles, connect the centerpoints with lines and tangent arcs, and find total length by selecting those lines and arcs then measure. Total length = purchase this much material.

Dimensioning a fab drawing would be by creating reference axes along your straights, and showing actual bend angles and radii as well as relational direction angles and straight lengths relative to other bends. A 3D Sketch "path" would help here to dimension to instead of axes. I'd ask who is making it how they'd dimension it. They may want linear dimensions to virtual sharps instead of straights between bends, for example.

Rubén Rodolfo Balderrama

Ford for tubin gives you the XYZ for starting, each intersection, the end coordinate and the radii of bending on a chart.

Todd Blacksher

It will sound odd, but you might want to look into using SOLIDWORKS Routing to create the tubing.

- Most CNC tubing benders want LRA data (Length Rotation Angle) for bending.

Just a thought,

t

Travis Wesley

Does the SOLIDWORKS Routing give you the LRA data? We use a software called Bend-Tech as well which gives you all the compensated lengths of the pipe for your bends/twists but you can't dimension the pipes to show when the bend/twist starts and stops on the tubing which is why I'm trying to use SOLIDWORKS for this information but can't seem to figure out how to do so with these tubes.

Todd Blacksher

Travis Wesley wrote:

Does the SOLIDWORKS Routing give you the LRA data? We use a software called Bend-Tech as well which gives you all the compensated lengths of the pipe for your bends/twists but you can't dimension the pipes to show when the bend/twist starts and stops on the tubing which is why I'm trying to use SOLIDWORKS for this information but can't seem to figure out how to do so with these tubes.

I believe that it is under Routing Export - I'm a little fuzzy, but I seem to remember being able to export/generate bend information in a couple different formats.

It's not a tool that I use, so I would have to dig into it a little bit more.

todd

Travis Wesley

Thanks Todd. If that is the case then that is something I will definitely have to look into upgrading my SOLIDWORKS package to but without knowing for sure if it can do that then I Don't want to upgrade if it will not really help me.

Tom Gagnon

I use Routing and have never seen it used for this. It can make Spool drawings, which sounds similar, and upon which you can annotate however is needed. Even so, a Spool is still an assembly, and this object here is a part.

I believe that Weldments are your best suited solution, and it's also standard in base SWx package w/o Pro or Premium Add-ins.

The root data of 3D Sketches and profiles remains the same in both cases, but weldments also handle trims, coping, cut-list and more far better than routing. From both source and result, you can annotate it as needed.

Travis Wesley

The part I attached originally is just one piece of the assembly file. Here is the full assembly which i would need lengths and LRA data of each piece of tubing on the roll cage to put into the CNC Tube Bender and to have the ends laser cut to fit together properly for welding. With that being said, another question I have is how would I get the dimensions of the ends where any two, or three, tubes intersect and will need to be laser cut?

Tom Gagnon

I am sorry Travis, that is outside my field. Beyond understanding that weldments can handle what you want, I do not know CNC Tube Bender standards.

We have a Angle ring bender. I give a material and profile and diameter / ref. length, like carbon steel, 2" x 2" x 0.25" Angle, 36" dia., and I get a simple circle to reinforce a cylindrical tank and custom tank lid. That is the extent of my uncomplicated bending experience.

I'm tempted to make a Futurama reference but I'll take it to the Litter box instead.

Todd Blacksher

Tom Gagnon wrote:

I use Routing and have never seen it used for this. It can make Spool drawings, which sounds similar, and upon which you can annotate however is needed. Even so, a Spool is still an assembly, and this object here is a part.

I believe that Weldments are your best suited solution, and it's also standard in base SWx package w/o Pro or Premium Add-ins.

The root data of 3D Sketches and profiles remains the same in both cases, but weldments also handle trims, coping, cut-list and more far better than routing. From both source and result, you can annotate it as needed.

I'm with Tom Gagnon - I would rather work with Weldments than Routing any day of the week.

I dug into Routing enough to find out that I am REALLY rusty!

I was able to easily kick out this information -

PIPE

END-POINT     0.0000     0.0000     0.0000      3.500

END-POINT   -51.7333     0.0000     0.0000      3.500

ITEM-CODE Pipe 3.5 in, Sch 40

CATEGORY FABRICATION

ITEM-DESCRIPTION Pipe 0

BEND

END-POINT   -51.7333     0.0000     0.0000      3.500

END-POINT   -55.5503     1.6455     0.0000      3.500

CENTRE-POINT   -53.9965     0.0000     0.0000 

SKEY PB0D

ANGLE 4664.01016

ITEM-DESCRIPTION 35inSchedule40^Pipe_1-MySkid-1

PIPE

END-POINT   -66.1927    12.9152     0.0000      3.500

END-POINT   -55.5503     1.6455     0.0000      3.500

CATEGORY FABRICATION

ITEM-DESCRIPTION Pipe 5

BEND

END-POINT   -69.7972    16.7323    5.25000      3.500

END-POINT   -66.1927    12.9152     0.0000      3.500

CENTRE-POINT   -69.7972    16.7323     0.0000 

SKEY PB0D

ANGLE 9000.00000

ITEM-DESCRIPTION 35inSchedule40^Pipe_1-MySkid-1

PIPE

END-POINT   -69.7972    16.7323     12.939      3.500

END-POINT   -69.7972    16.7323    5.25000      3.500

CATEGORY FABRICATION

ITEM-DESCRIPTION Pipe 3

WEIGHT 20.909775

I haven't found the LRA info, but you can get pipe data (.pcf - shown above) or tubing bend tables in txt or html.

If I had even touched Routing once in the last 8 years, I might be more help, but Tom is 100% correct, start with Weldments.

On a good note, Tom just saved you some upgrade money

(not to mention what he saved in ibuprofen for "Routing-related headaches")

--If I were to use Routing on a regular basis, I am sure I would like it, but it isn't as "user-friendly" as the rest of SOLIDWORKS.