13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 2:58 PM by Rick McDonald

Dimension in Note question

Glenn Schroeder

Hello,

I have custom properties in Parts that are linked to dimensions within the Part.  (See attached.  I create new configurations as needed, and when I do so the "Part Name" configuration specific property is automatically added, with the link.)  When I use this custom property in a Drawing note 2.5" will display as 2 1/2" instead of 2-1/2".  Is there any way to get that dash in there?  I've hunted everywhere I can think of.  It's not usually a big deal, but I've got a client that marked it up, and I'd rather not have to override my property (or try to explain the inconsistency).

• Re: Dimension in Note question
          John Matrishon

I wonder if that can found in the "ole" calloutformat.txt file?   Should be in your lang/English folder I think.  Been awhile.

JM

Glenn Schroeder

John Matrishon wrote:

I wonder if that can found in the "ole" callout.txt file?

I don't know, and don't know how to find out...or even what that means, to be honest.

Matt Peneguy

The calloutformat.txt file defines how holes are called out.  I don't think it is your problem here.

Glenn, is this for us (LADOTD)?

Edit to add: Our civil CAD standards call for feet and inches with a dash between.  I haven't seen a dash between the inches and fractions and frankly that would confuse any of our civil engineers or technicians.  I can't even figure out how you added the dash between inches and fractions.  But, SW seems to do what our civil people look for, even in notes:

Edit to add: Just to be clear, I should have had some non-fractional inch units:

S. Casale

THIS RIGHT HERE

Tom Gagnon

I don't think that addresses Glenn's question, but I suspect you understand this. Your hyphen is between the feet and inches. Glenn wants hyphen between whole inches and fraction of inches.

To chime in with ignorance, I don't know how to achieve this automatically.

I would use an override, then change its color from layer default to an override color (or to a general Override layer, also colored differently), indicating to others that an unlinked override exists inside it which needs inspection upon revision. I realize that few people use color this way, but it works consistently for us as a previous designer's tell to the next one that handles it. For us, this has been a holdover procedure from dimensional overrides when working in AutoCud. If it's not an accepted internal standard, I think the color difference won't indicate attention needed to next user.

Matt Peneguy

Tom Gagnon,

Your workflow sounds like a great way to handle annotations that have to be managed manually. If you choose a "light" color, it can even show as gray if you print it out and check it that way.

I guess I could have been more descriptive.  I was trying to point out that what Glenn was trying to do appears to me to be "non-standard" and maybe whoever is making the suggestion for change, may want to reconsider their comments, and maybe even their drafting standards.  If it is work being done for us, which Glenn does, I was going to offer to talk with whoever is suggesting the change.

Glenn Schroeder

Matt,

Thank you for the offer, but no, it isn't for LaDOT.

I guess I'm bothered by the inconsistency.  As you can see from the screenshot above, the hyphen is there for a dimension that's inserted with the Smart Dimension tool, but not for a dimension in a Note.  I was hoping there was a setting I was overlooking.

Glenn

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I kludged up something using global variables to create the hyphenated fraction.

Attached is SW208 SW2018, so here are some screen shots, too:

As I said...a kludge.

Cheers,

Kevin

Rick McDonald

It would be nice if your client would explain to you where that is defined or if it is their local method.

It could be just that he/she was taught that way and wants consistency with their documents instead of industry standards.