31 Replies Latest reply on Jul 9, 2018 7:56 AM by Alin Vargatu

Custom Round Stock Tool

James Pare

I am looking for a tool that will draw a round stock block around custom pins

It always needs to grow to cover the model changes, features added or removed

I would prefer it would also work to set stock sizes that we could add - nearest fractional inch....

Bounding box from SWX is always square & will not work in all casesPIn Stock.jpg

Anyone have anything like this out there?

• Re: Custom Round Stock Tool
          Alin Vargatu

Before SW2018 came with the Bounding Box for parts feature, one of my customers needed this functionality for tubes. I asked Artem Taturevych and Viktor Bovzdarenko to add a macro in the #TASK library and they wrote this one:

It might be worth asking them to do the same thing for the new Bounding Box functionality.

James Pare

Thanks Deepak

I have a feeling this might be better, but still not work for the reason that the top of the pin is square

This will result in a square bounding box of the same size, but to have the proper round stock size it must be bigger than than the square, the round feature must fully encompass the square

James Pare

Yeah, this is a cool Macro, but not what I need

basically I want to take any model & find the round stock needed to cut the detail from

Would encompass the overall shape & length even when features are added

Shapes would be fully customized from slots, squares, diamonds....

Basically looking to create a round stock tool for the BOM

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

Yeah, this is a cool Macro, but not what I need

basically I want to take any model & find the round stock needed to cut the detail from

Would encompass the overall shape & length even when features are added

Shapes would be fully customized from slots, squares, diamonds....

Basically looking to create a round stock tool for the BOM

Is the costing functionality for round bar stock material not good enough?

Alin Vargatu

I am just thinking that once you have the stock sizes from the Bounding Box tool as custom properties, it is a simple equation to calculate the diameter to the next standard size. Pythagoras should know.

Excel would do, or a global variable with a nice equation...

The only thing SW will have trouble figuring out on its own is the orientation of the part.

Alin Vargatu

James, let me know if this algorithm would work for you. Deepak Gupta, Artem Taturevych, Viktor Bovzdarenko, please chime in.

The programming seems doable to me, with little effort, as long as the length of the pin is the biggest dimension. This is strategy I suggest. James, Deepak, Artem, Viktor please correct me if I am wrong:

1. Create bounding box for the part using SW functionality. Configuration specific properties are automatically created.

1. For a round part, there are 2 properties with equal values. They determine the finished size diameter = Width value (when the part is round)
                    2. The third custom property (which is not equal with the other two) is the finished length.
                    3. Use an equation to round the finished diameter to next standard fractional size to determine the stock size diameter
                    4. Write the result in a custom property as Stock Diameter x Finished Length

James, would such a macro work for you?

Ravi Shrivastava, this functionality should be added to SOLDIWORKS ASAP. Most of my customers would benefit from it!

BTW, Ravi, we are aware of the Costing functionality, but is cumbersome and does not update without user interactions. Thanks for your attention!

James Pare

Sorry Alin but your are simplifying the pins way to much

We deal with custom pins on every jobs & cannot have limitations

Pins can be full form, round, square, hex.....

The is no guarantee that the length is the biggest dimension

I am going to add a couple pictures

I need a feature that will stay at the bottom of the tree

Always drawing a round sketch to encompass the entire part

The length then covers the entire length, even if a new feature is added (same with size)

Round stock.pngRound stock-2.png

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

I am going to add a couple pictures

I need a feature that will stay at the bottom of the tree

Always drawing a round sketch to encompass the entire part

The length then covers the entire length, even if a new feature is added (same with size)

Round stock.pngRound stock-2.png

In this case see you over in the 2019 BETA forum. I think you might have your answer there.

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

If the length is not the biggest dimension, than how would the software figure out the orientation of the bounding cylinder?

James Pare

I would have the tool allow the user select a face to start the round sketch on

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

I would have the tool allow the user select a face to start the round sketch on

That would simplify the workflow tremendously. The software will use the projection of the bounding box on the selected face/plane as input for the circle, then an ExtrudeBoss with All option would do the trick.

Agree?

Still,  check 2019.

James Pare

I would even suggest being able to select a round feature to locate the round extrude

Sometimes pins are offset & you would want the stock concentric to a set feature

User interaction is OK

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

I would even suggest being able to select a round feature to locate the round extrude

Sometimes pins are offset & you would want the stock concentric to a set feature

User interaction is OK

I would suggest to start with getting a simple routine that could automate 90% of the cases (or whatever percentage you have for symmetrical parts). Reduce the user input to minimum for such a routine.

Once you have it, depending how many odd cases you encounter, you can look into adding complexity to the macro, or creating a new one.

Rob Edwards

Hi James

Here's a technique I've been using to create my own bounding box of planes on the fly...  it works easy for boxes but it's trickier with round stock.  It's the classic minimum circle problem! Smallest-circle problem - Wikipedia

You need to have some knowledge of the part orientation.

I use the Through All setting on a Boss Extrude, then create a plane of the end face.

You have to do it patiently, first one way, then the other for each axis.

Once you get the box, a couple of midplanes to get the axis, then two sketched circles and two extrudes

This works fine for simple cases but as can be observed the problem lies with something like this

Whatever technique you use I guess you'll always have this problem when rounding a box.

An idea I had was to spin the pin..

adding a circular pattern, presents the pin at various relative positions

seemed to help but it's not quite right

I used a circle centred in the bounding box, but this axis may not be the pin axis.

..adding 2 more extrudes would fix this if the pin axis is available

good luck!

2018 attached

Deepak Gupta

This can surely work but like James mentioned, user interaction would be needed. So I would suggest for an add-in to take care of the extruded bounding box.

James Pare

An Add in or a macro that would run?

If I am waiting for a SWX add-in i'll be looking at 2020 at the earliest

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

An Add in or a macro that would run?

If I am waiting for a SWX add-in i'll be looking at 2020 at the earliest

Let’s nail the definition of your request and make a SWPUC out of it. Would you agree to that?

I will provide the points for the awards.

James Pare

What's the timeline on a SWPUC project?

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

What's the timeline on a SWPUC project?

If we launched it today, we can set the deadline for all solutions for next Friday.

That being said, a good solution could be submitted much sooner than that.

So... let's define the request in simple words.

James Pare

Ok

A semi-automated solution that will determined the round stock required for machining of a detail from a lathe

We agree that the user will select either a face or plane to define the direction of the round extrude

The feature will by dynamic where it will fully update to suit geometry changes

The diameter must encompass the entire model at all times

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

Ok

A semi-automated solution that will determined the round stock required for machining of a detail from a lathe

We agree that the user will select either a face or plane to define the direction of the round extrude

The feature will by dynamic where it will fully update to suit geometry changes

The diameter must encompass the entire model at all times

Perfect. Can you please provide several parts for testing? Please manually add this feature at the end. This way, the programmers can see exactly what they need.

Also, should the macro add material up to the next 1/16" to the finished diameter automatically?

You can email me the files directly.

I will launch the challenge the moment I have your files.

James Pare

Alin

I would prefer an option to either turn on or off the rounding up

If I had to make a decision I would say we start with rounding on

Alin Vargatu

James Pare wrote:

Alin

I would prefer an option to either turn on or off the rounding up

If I had to make a decision I would say we start with rounding on

Is 1/16" the step? Or would you prefer 1/8".

Of course, the macro can ask the user to input the number, but adding more user interaction would defeat the purpose.

Maybe the macro would have a property manager where some settings are pre-populated, as per the latest user input:

1. Select face (the default could be the face farthest away in the positive direction of the "Y" axis).

2. Select Direction (the default is normal to the selected face, in the negative "Y" axis direction). I imagine this can be as a check box to flip direction.

3. Input next stock size step (the default is 0 (zero), or the latest value input by the user).

Item 3 can also be as a series of radio buttons: 0 or 1/16 or 1/8. If you want other steps, let me know.

Artem Taturevych

Hi James, Alin,

I have a macro which can found the best fit bounding cylinder. Macro can be accessed here: Get Body Bounding Cylinder

This is just a proof-of-concept macro, but if there is an interest I can make an add-in from it so it can be auto-updatable (i..e macro feature) as well as lookup the size in the table, etc.).

Thanks,
                                                        Artem

Alin Vargatu

Submit your ERs for this new functionality here: Bounding Cylinder (Round Stock) Add-In. These are not SW ERs, but Artem ERs.   At least for now