12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2018 12:05 PM by Heiko Sohnholz

Outlines in Technical Illustrations

Steve Krause

In the technical illustrations that I am producing I want to show some items with different colored outlines and possibly filled.  These items would indicate that they are not supplied in the kit.

I've been through the VAR's tutorial but it didn't cover this and I haven't figure out where to change those two properties for just selected parts, not the whole drawing.  Is there a way to do this?

Steve Krause

• Re: Outlines in Technical Illustrations
          Casey Bergman

Are you trying to do this in a Solidworks drawing or where are you making these views?  You should be able to create a display state that shows the different components in different display styles.  The easiest way I have found to do this is in the assembly feature manager flyout.

Dirk Rautenberg

use a rendering style with contour

set actor color and outline properties like the following pictures

19-06-2018 20-50-29.jpg19-06-2018 20-51-45.jpg

Heiko Sohnholz

Hello,

i would recommend another solution:

- Set all actor colors to white

- Set the color of the one actor to blue, the contur to red

- Set the options in the technical illustration workshop according to the screenshot (sry for german language):

ComposerSVGColor1.pngComposerSVGColor2.png

And the result looks like:

ComposerSVGColor3.png

Done.

Cheers, Heiko

Steve Krause

I will try the proposed methods suggested from you guys but here is what the VAR came up with:

Use Render > Mode > Custom.  Select parts to be colored Red and go to the Properties window and in the CUSTOM RENDERING section change to Technical and then change the color in the General section and in the Outline section.  That puts a colored outline and colored fill on those parts.  Then select the other parts and again in the CUSTOM RENDERING section of Properties change to Silhouette. Colors do not change. 

Then in the Workshops tab, under Technical Illustration set the Color Regions on.  This seems to work for what I am looking for right now.  I'll experiment with the other suggestions when I get a chance.  I am still learning what type of output I want to create but I imagine I want an .SVG from the technical illustrations section.     I have another question to ask about that and the digger tool and will do so in another thread to follow.

Thanks,

Steve Krause

Heiko Sohnholz

I like the shadows when exporting technical illustrations. So i don't like - this is my personal preference - the custom rendering, where theses shadows are missing. Especially when you have some round actors, this gives a nice effect. Take a look at your first and my result...

Steve Krause

I don't want red shadows but I have temporarily assigned Contours to red to see where they are but I don't see any. What are contours?

Also,

I notice in the details that it must be taking its settings in a different way not controlled by the panel on the right.  Where is that?

Steve Krause

Heiko Sohnholz

Hello,

you have to set the red color for the contour in the actor properties task plane, not in the workshop! Same with the fill color for the actors.

The options shadow in the workshop means the shading of the side part, as seen in the detailed view. The detail uses also the settings in the workshop, but does not update the detail, when settings are altered. This is, why it is shaded in your result and the main view is not.

Steve Krause

"The options shadow in the workshop means the shading of the side part, as seen in the detailed view. The detail uses also the settings in the workshop, but does not update the detail, when settings are altered. This is, why it is shaded in your result and the main view is not." 

I think I will not be switching back and forth between on and off for the shadow in the Workshop very often so I wont be concerned about that and could just delete and create a new detail for the rare times I wanted to switch that shadow on and off, but is there a way to update the Detail after it has been created? 

In some way this behavior of the Detail where it gets initially set and doesn't automatically change when some stuff changes might explain in some way why the line weights in the Detail look wrong to me.  They look much heavier than the rest of the view.  Not sure if I want that.   This kind of relates to what I am trying to figure out about Details.  I have posted a separate question about Labels in the Detail.

Steve Krause

"you have to set the red color for the contour in the actor properties task plane, not in the workshop! Same with the fill color for the actors."

If the colors are set in the Properties pane than what are the color selection boxes next to Contour and Fill in the Shadows section in the Workshop setting?