9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 19, 2018 10:30 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Custom Detail Numbers IN BOM

Jim Moses

Hi,

OK I have a odd one, our customer wants their sub assemblies numbers to start with 50x

510, 502, 503, etc

How do I customize a BOM to do this, I can add the field to each part and sub assembly but I am not sure either the text code to type to have the table do this?

Regards,

• Re: Custom Detail Numbers IN BOM
          Glenn Schroeder

Assign the numbers as custom properties in the models, then link the BOM column and/or Notes to the property.  Highlight a column and use the "Column Property" icon for tables...

...or the "Link to Property" icon for notes.  You shouldn't need any text codes.

Jim Moses

Hi,

Thanks, for some reason I couldn't find that I knew it was somewhere.

You can set the balloons to match up you just need to set the custom properties in the part/sub-assy a little tedious and still not sure how this will work out with fasteners and other standard items but will see.

Regards,

Josh Brady

I don't like saying it's impossible, but there's no way I know of to do this automatically within the user interface.  Hopefully someone knows, but if not you'll have to manually renumber.  If you work with this customer a lot, it might be worth writing a macro to do it, which would certainly be possible.

Edit: I may have misunderstood the question... I thought it was referring to the Item/Balloon number, not just a regular BOM column.

Glenn Schroeder

Josh Brady wrote:

I don't like saying it's impossible, but there's no way I know of to do this automatically within the user interface. Hopefully someone knows, but if not you'll have to manually renumber. If you work with this customer a lot, it might be worth writing a macro to do it, which would certainly be possible.

Edit: I may have misunderstood the question... I thought it was referring to the Item/Balloon number, not just a regular BOM column.

I don't think you misunderstood, but I should have explained better.  I was proposing replacing the usual Item/Balloon column with one referencing a custom property.

Josh Brady

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Josh Brady wrote:

I don't like saying it's impossible, but there's no way I know of to do this automatically within the user interface. Hopefully someone knows, but if not you'll have to manually renumber. If you work with this customer a lot, it might be worth writing a macro to do it, which would certainly be possible.

I don't think you misunderstood, but I should have explained better. I was proposing replacing the usual Item/Balloon column with one referencing a custom property.

Oh... Then can you link balloons to that column?

Glenn Schroeder

Josh Brady wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Josh Brady wrote:

I don't think you misunderstood, but I should have explained better. I was proposing replacing the usual Item/Balloon column with one referencing a custom property.

Oh... Then can you link balloons to that column?

Maybe not to the column, but you can link Balloons to the same property that the column is linked to, which produces the same result.  First choose "Custom Properties" in the "Balloon text:" drop-down, then select the property from the second drop-down, or click on the "Link to Property" icon to get the same linking options as using the same icon in the Notes property manager.

Jim Moses

I agree,  although the way the customer does things each job is separate so if its a purchased part number its a new detail number for each job and same goes for detail items, a lot of extra work, but I would rather do it all at the part/sub-assy level vs typing it in on each balloon and title block which is what they currently are doing, hence me trying to automate it as best I can and save the effort for better things.

Regards,

Glenn Schroeder

It shouldn't be too bad, as long as you're careful not to duplicate (or skip) numbers when you're assigning the number as a custom property in the model files.  I know nothing about macros, but someone may be able to write one that would go through all the files in an Assembly and assign those numbers for you.  If you'd like to investigate that possibility you might want to post a new question in the API section of this forum.

You may have already thought of this, but once you get a Balloon or Note linked to the property you can save it as a "Style" so you can apply it later without going through the linking process.  I have a number of Note Styles saved in my drawing templates that are pre-linked to custom properties, either from the Drawing or Part, or to cut list properties.

And the "Sort" function in the BOM can be your friend, assuming you want them in order.