As a Certified B Corporation, AeroFarms is a mission-driven company with global headquarters in Newark, NJ, championing indoor vertical farming and fundamentally transforming agriculture. Recognized by Fast Company as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies and by Inc.com as one of the Top 25 Disruptive Companies in the World, AeroFarms is scaling to meet the demand for our fresh, locally grown produce that is setting new culinary standards, and we need someone special who can bring their experience in engineering to help us grow further. Must be aligned with our mission and passionate about making a difference.
Job is Located in Newark, NJ.
- An incredible ‘change-the-world’ company with the eyes of the world focused on our success.
- A team of motivated, intellectually-curious individuals to support you.
- Backed by some seriously impressive firms including Goldman Sachs, Prudential, leading VCs, and strategic partners with a view on global expansion.
The Mechanical Engineering Lead works closely with the Engineering Project Manager on equipment design, selection, purchases and delivery/performance agreement, installation, commissioning as well as supporting all critical project goals.Responsibilities:
- Lead a group of mechanical design engineers in designing components, equipment and systems to support the needs of the business.
- Compiles and maintains control records and related files to release blueprints, drawings, specifications, and engineering documents to vendors and internal departments: Examines documents, such as blueprints, drawings, change orders, and specifications to verify completeness and accuracy of data.
- Maintain a computer database of all filed documentation that ensures fast retrieval of documents.
- Maintains the document control and record retention systems ensuring proper archiving for all hard copies and on-line files.
- Manage assigned projects responsible for aspects of project management from feasibility, planning, design, construction, commissioning and handover and ensures that all key project performance objectives are met regarding efficiencies, waste, throughput and staffing, as well as delivering to the project schedule, safely, and within the budgetary limits.
- Collaborates closely with all cross functional project team members and stakeholders.
- Develops manufacturing processes by designing and modifying equipment for fabricating, building, assembling, and installing components.
- Identifies cost savings projects and conducts value engineering exercises.
- Writes equipment specifications and requests for quotations.
- Works with cross-functional teams (or independently) to solve technical product and/or process problems using appropriate problem-solving skills.
- Establish trial protocol to ensure equipment performs as specified and meets all project success criteria.
- Established FAT requirements for equipment and systems, attends FAT testing and approves equipment for delivery to the project site.
- Mentors and works closely with Associate Design Engineers.
- Demonstrates leadership and commitment in the management of all health and safety related project activities, including communicating safety goals, establishing roles and responsibilities, and holding team members’ accountable.
- Is responsible for the establishment and maintenance of a secure site working environment, controlling risks to project activities, property and personnel from external factors.
- REQUIRED: 5+ years experience with food grade equipment (food packaging, food processing, food conveyance) and sanitary design.
- Demonstrated experience leading equipment development projects with budgets of ~$1M and 6-18 month time frames.
- Experience with food safety standards, risk analysis, FMEAs, design controls and sanitary design best practices
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- SolidWorks certification
- An impressive number of industry connections, and you’re able to prototype quickly using your connections at machine and fab shops in the NYC an NJ metro area.
- Experience in dimensioning, setting tolerances and equipment interface control.
- Previously developed, evaluated, and improved manufacturing methods, utilizing knowledge of product design, materials and parts, fabrication processes, tooling and production equipment capabilities, assembly methods, and quality control standards.
- Proficient in conducting design reviews and documenting revisions.
- A demonstrated knowledge and experience with mechanical process equipment, process automation systems, plumbing pneumatics, steel and aluminum welding and sanitary design.
- Experience with SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and are proficient with MS Office.
- A portfolio showing examples of equipment design.
- Travel requirements will vary depending on project location but will require full time presence on site during the project construction and commissioning/handover phases.
- Office environment requires the ability to sit and work on a computer for long periods of time.
- Physical requirements to work on projects may include lifting of up to 50 lbs.
- Site visits may require the ability to climb stairs, walk long distances (more than 100 yards) and stooping, kneeling, or bending for extended periods of time