7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 28, 2018 12:57 PM by Frederick Law

A Discussion on CNC Punching Machines

Bhavarth Sharaf

Hello There!

I want to discuss a few topics with people having CNC Punching Machines in their Manufacturing Facility.

Please join the discussion who are interested.

Thanks.

• Re: A Discussion on Salvagnini Machines
          Dennis Bacon

Are you talking about turret punch presses? I did work with them for a couple of years (programming) at a small shop many years ago. Worked out well for us. I can remember being impressed by some features. Vipros Kings were the most popular at that time. Unfortunately don't remember much about that experience (with Salvagnini). They are not very popular in the U.S.

• Re: A Discussion on CNC Punching Machines
              Habib Ghalamkari

Which CAM program are/were you using for programming Vipros?

Was it Amada's main CAM software AP100?
              If yes can you suggest some other Cam software that can be used with Vipros?

Thank you.

Dennis Bacon

I see the subject name has changed since I first posted...

Habib,,, Since I was there at the beginning of time, I originally wrote the programs by hand and manually inputed into the controller. Then came the (tape) flexwriter. Then, since I worked right down the street from MetalSoft, began using FC2001 in the late 80's and worked closely with the folks there to develop what became FabriWIN. Also known later as AP100US (Amada).  So I've been using MetalSoft almost exclusively for Vipros, Pega, and EM turrets and various lasers. Did use Merry Mechanization along with Metalsoft while programming for the Salvagnini's.

I retired from the programming aspect about 12 years ago but my shop still uses MetalSoft CAD/CAM and I check in with the guys to see what's new.

Really can't suggest some other (although I thought Merry Mech was pretty darn good) . I think they all get the job done.

Habib Ghalamkari

Dennis Bacon wrote:

I see the subject name has changed since I first posted...

Habib,,, Since I was there at the beginning of time, I originally wrote the programs by hand and manually imputed into the controller. Then came the (tape) flexwriter. Then, since I worked right down the street from MetalSoft, began using FC2001 in the late 80's and worked closely with the folks there to develop what became FabriWIN. Also known later as AP100US (Amada). So I've been using MetalSoft almost exclusively for Vipros, Pega, and EM turrets and various lasers. Did use Merry Mechanization along with Metalsoft while programming for the Salvagnini's.

I retired from the programming aspect about 12 years ago but my shop still uses MetalSoft CAD/CAM and I check in with the guys to see what's new.

Really can't suggest some other (although I thought Merry Mech was pretty darn good) . I think they all get the job done.

Your history goes back further than mine. I started with punching tapes. Later used AP100 and now I'm on Mitsubishi's CadCam. Never heard of Metal Soft. We are planning to change our CAM software and that was why I asked the question above.

I'll give MetalSoft a try to see if it suits us better.

thanks for your time.

Craig Schultz

I used MetalSoft ~20 years ago. The guy programming at the machine said that it wouldn't save him any time.....  Well on our one program it saved enough time that he didn't have a break to sharpen his hunting knives in between sheets.  (7 minutes per sheet knocked off)  We moved from a Strippit to a Nisshinbo (?) with no issues.

Then about 6 years ago I worked at a place that had 2 Trumpf punches and a Salvagnini L2, programming was done on Trumpf's software and Salvagnini's software.  I brought in Radan so that we could program all parts in one software package.  It worked great for nesting and transferring parts to other machines if necessary.  Modification of the cut speeds, part removal, part orientation, etc etc was exponentially easier in Radan.

ömür tokman

I have 4 CNC punches and 1 CNC lasers at my workplace.

I do not use it but I can learn from my friends who use the questions.

or as far as I know I answer.

20170509_122926.jpg

P_20180207_152734_vHDR_Auto.jpg

Frederick Law

I used and programmed Trumph R2020.  Great machine for light gauge material.  Love to watch it punch and it sounds like machine gun.