7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2018 7:07 PM by David Matula

Dangling Deleted Dimensions?

Mike Hodson

SW2018 SP2.0

I made changes to a model, and I'm updating the drawing.

There are some model dimensions that were originally attached to members that have since been changed, but those model dimensions are still in the drawing.

I cannot edit, hide, or delete these 'dangling' dimensions....so how am I supposed to get rid of them?

Dangle.JPG

*edit

While trying to delete the dims, I accidentally deleted the view.  When I hit undo, it crashed SW.

When I got everything up and open again, I was able to delete the hanging dims by hovering over them and hitting delete.  I still couldn't select them, which is weird. 

Problem solved for now...

Message was edited by: Mike Hodson

• Re: Dangling Deleted Dimensions?
          Dennis Bacon

This has worked for me in the past. Hide dangling dimensions and annotations.

Or.... delete the view then do an undo. Then I was able to delete the dims.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I believe you can use design checker to list them and delete from the report.

Design checker add-in must be running.

Tools menu:

Select this option and save the stds file somewhere:

Return to drawing and on tools menu:

In task pane:

Uncheck all and click green plus and select the file you just made:

Click Check Document

I don't have any, but here is where I believe you can delete them:

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

David Matula

wow have not had that kind of dimension problem. 

Dimensions where added with insert model items?  or where they placed on the drawing.

I am usually able to reattach dangling dims to the line they should be attached to.  I am dealing with assemblies that we manually dimension though.

Have you tried to reattach the dim to a new line in the drawing so that it would not be dangling any more?

Good Luck

Andrew Leicht

I've just run into this problem on SW2018 SP4 after using the 'replace model' functionality in a drawing.

When I left-click the problem dimensions, they do not show as highlighted like they normally would.

If I double-click them, I get the same error "This dimension cannot be edited. It is a deleted dimension shown as dangling."I have stumbled across a couple ways to fix this, at least in my situation.

1. After left-click, you can press the delete key and the dimension will delete even though it is not shown as highlighted.

2. Right-click and select 'Hide' to hide the dimension. (right clicking seems to work normally for these dimensions but they are still not highlighted).

3. Delete a normal dimension, undo, then right-click a problem dimension, go to recent commands, and choose delete from there.

Hope this helps anyone who stumbles across it.