6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 9:28 AM by Mark Otteson

PDM Not displaying preview of Solidworks parts, assemblies or drawings

Mark Otteson

IN the past several days whenever I look at a model in Solidworks PDM tells me that preview is turned off. See screen clip below. As soon as I click on the preview it open the preview pane. PDM does not do this for PDF's, Word or Excel files. I, as well as my workmates have hunted for a setting to turn the preview on or off and have not found it. Any ideas? We are using SolidWorks 2016 SP.5.

• Re: PDM Not displaying preview of Solidworks parts, assemblies or drawings
          Alex Burnett

Can you check and see if this option is toggled in your EPDM file explorer?

Mark Otteson

ALex,

Show Files, File Preview  and Card Preview are all toggled on.

Alex Burnett

Other than that, I'm not sure what can be done to re-enable previews.

Sam Sam

Hi,

I not once solved a similar problem and I think that there is no universal answer to all cases (perhaps I am mistaken).

Possible decisions from personal practice:

1. Of course, the first that can advise - to reinstall all this or to correct the PDM installation. Perhaps it will solve a problem, but I can't give a guarantee. A lot of things depend on existence of the previous installations.

Therefore I at first would advise to try system roolback (if there are recovery points).

2. If recently any updates have been executed - it is possible to try to reinstall EDrawings instead of roolback. At the same time it is often necessary to remove not only all traces of EDrawing in system, but also in registry - it is the for this purpose best of all to use RegOrganizer and not to do automatic cleaning. But it is option - when all the rest gives nothing.

3. If there is antivirus / firewall to check that FileViewer, EDrawing and other *.exe the PDM files - aren't blocked and ready for start with the rights of Administrator.

4. Sometimes it is possible to solve a problem by reset settings of the Menu of User, Group or All Users in Administration PDM (in a case when this problem only in one Vault).

5. There is still an option which is difficult for explaining - but sometimes helps - with Vault in the Display menu - to change various settings - and then to return them back. Possibly at the same time I am restored some values in Regisry. But it helps seldom.

6. Still it is possible to try Restore File Assotiations in SolidWorks (System Options \File Explorer). Probability that it will help - minimum.

7. But very first - to check correctness of settings of the User and/or Group - Viewing of files. Sometimes they are dumped.

And in general there are some more questions.

From screenshot only one vault is visible - there is no opportunity to check in another? It is PDM Standart?

If on other computer - to enter under the same user - what will be result? Or on this computer under other user?

Installation / updating were carried out from under one user and at the same time there were no problems?

The problem has appeared itself or after some actions?

I wish the decision more simply.

Installation of the new version of PDM - better last can be also quite good decision. But it will have to do on all computers and it is desirable to have experience.

Different unforeseen problems are anyway possible. Therefore it is necessary to do Restore point of system in advance.

Martin Solem

Check this setting:

You will probably find SLDPRT listed:

(.....no, i dont know how it got there )