14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2009 6:59 PM by Jerry Steiger

guitar modeling issues

Justin H
      i have two guitar files im working on, one im trying to make a proper carved top les paul, i have the offset outline placed approximately where it should be on a les paul before the carved top begins to bulge.. and i even have a 3D partial outline of the contour of the carved to..

the other thing im trying to do is model a neck thru strat type guitar, i have the neck contoured properly, body contoured properly, what im having trouble doing is getting the neck, body, and horns to blend in with no heel (look at the back of an ESP M-II NTB, or jackson soloist guitar)

any ideas on how i can accomplish these two tasks?... ive tried uploading the .SLDPRT files, but it keeps telling me the file type is not permitted.. so ill link to photos for now

the strat: http://farm4.static.flickr.com...3658_b40660b011_b.jpg

the les paul: http://farm4.static.flickr.com...15520_19371d1648_o.jpg
        • guitar modeling issues
          Kelvin Lamport
          You have to zip SolidWorks files before uploading.
            • guitar modeling issues
              Roland Schwarz
              Generally, you probably don't want to use the actual outline contour to define your main surfaces. The twists and turns will probably cause odd curvatures in your surfaces that are difficult to control.

With the Les Paul in particular, I would define the front and rear surfaces with outer contours that are larger and smoother than the actual guitar outline.
                • guitar modeling issues
                  Justin H
                  im working on an improved les paul top.. in fact, this one im working on will be a perfect model of a real les paul..

i found a sort of topographical map looking document of the curvature of the surface, splined the outlines, and raised them to the height neccessary, but im having a trouble getting them to fill in properly.. surface fill just creates a stair surface with holes in the gaps.. any thoughts?
              • guitar modeling issues
                Kelvin Lamport
                I know nothing about guitars, but is the one in the first image really made in one piece? If not I suggest modelling the individual parts as they would be in the real world.
                • guitar modeling issues
                  craig sinclair
                  Firstly, you cant just upload .sldprt files you have to .zip them first.

For the Les Paul, I would use surface fill. Select the outside edge of the Les Paul face as patch boundary, then select the offset curve and the 3d curve constraint curves. This should give you a nice shape and keep the face flat near the edges.You can add a number of curves or points for constraint curves, which you will probably need to do to refine the shape.

For the neck thru strat guitar i am not fully sure of what your after, could you post a photo of the jackson or esp. I probably would have a approached the drawing differently and done the neck thru and body wings as seperate parts (just as you would make it) and mated them together in an assembly.

Cheers Craig

ahh you bet me to it Kelvin, i should have finished typing before i went to lunch
                  • guitar modeling issues
                    Justin H
                    yeah.. the neck and body are supposed to be one piece, a neck thru design, though i could probably determine where the blend with the body should begin.. and cut the rest of the neck off from there, reattach it later...

making the wings of the body seperate would be an idea, but the neck thru part sort of has to blend in with this too, ill post a photo of the neck joint im referring to

and im attaching those files now

the soloist: http://www.musicon.ru/au/galer...Jackson%20Soloist.jpg

ESP neckthru http://www.musik-schmidt.de/im...D-KH-602-OG1219_6.jpg

taking a closer look at that soloist, it does look like the horns are pretty much blended into the body before the neck blends into the body.. so i should completely remove the neck up to that point.. then probably offset a few planes and loft into the heel.. what do you guys think?
                      • guitar modeling issues
                        Justin H
                        hmm... i did get the les paul top to carve the way i layed it out on the top.. however i think the offset was a little off, but the same process will work nicely.. i took that center contour line for the shape i wanted it.. and from there splined across it from the offset surfaces, then when i used surface fill, it selected the whole grid, and the outline of the offset and made a perfect carved top exactly how it was meant to be...

for the strat.. i think i will try offset a plane or two and draw in some cross sections of what the neck should look like at that point.. and copy the origional curves of that area that i need to be kept as guidelines and that should work nicely
                      • guitar modeling issues
                        Charles Culp
                        Guitars have already been discussed. Check out this one here:

http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...catid=4&threadid=7096

http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...tid=20&threadid=15803

It was also part of one of Rob Rodriguez's Photoworks contests:
                        http://www.robrodriguez.com/RR...st%20Files/Guitar.zip
                        http://www.robrodriguez.com/RR...st%2011%20Gallery.htm

Although Craig is the expert!

*Edited: Relinked.
                          • guitar modeling issues
                            Justin H
                            out of those four links.. only the second one work, and i already seen that forum, i just wasnt able to get the fill feature to work until i added a few more lines to where i wanted the contour to be, so i have the carved top part down, i know what to do about that now..

and im going to try lofting the neck joint with some 3D splines for guide lines and see where that gets me
                          • guitar modeling issues
                            Justin,

See attached for your les paul version. You can get a much more aesthetic profile if you use a spline/s over lines and arcs. I'm not familiar with the shape of the Les Paul especially the front face, but this is my interpretation as best as I can tell. Perhaps you can use some of the techniques here to get it to a more exact shape.
                              • guitar modeling issues
                                Justin H
                                basically.. whats in the attached file is what i need to make happen, but just cant do.. its self explanatory.. i have the flat part of the carved top already extruded, and splines showing a sort of topographical pattern matching the carved tops contour.. all spaced 1mm apart, i cant loft or fill them seemlessly and without huge errors.. it starts out fine.. when i start at the top using those lines as constraints.. but about half way through the image gets really distorted
                                  • guitar modeling issues
                                    justin,

In your topo part, Convert the curves to 3D sketches, then cut and paste them to the part that I created. Use the sketch move and sketch rotate tool to move the 3dsketch to the correct position relative to the current part. know drag the 3D sketch feature you just reposition before any of the features that I created for the top surface. Use the 3D sketch as refrerence to adjust the 1st and section direction sketch curves for the boundary surface.
                                      • guitar modeling issues
                                        Justin H
                                        hmm.. i tried all of that and the curvature tends to come out blocky, or creaces where there shouldnt be, and wont blend to the flat part of the extrution.. its really annoying... anyone who can get this to work properly will have a perfect les paul model
                                          • guitar modeling issues
                                            Jerry Steiger
                                            Justin,

I didn't download any of your part files, but I suspect that the problem is that you have too many cross-sections that you are trying to match. You say that you have splines that are 1 mm apart, which would give you a huge number of cross-sections. You should only need a few splines to get the smooth contour that a guitar top has. Adding more cross-sections gets the software all tied up in a knot and results in bizarre shapes. Get hold of Matt's Surfacing book. Download Matt's and Ed Eaton's Tutorials.