61 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 6:21 PM by David Nabulsi

BOM Qty

David Nabulsi

Dear All,

I have a part in an assembly which has been used 4 times but for some reason I had to copy the relating .sldpart file and rename it...this way I have the same part which has different names in the assembly. so, when I make the BOM, it has not been shown in the assembly as 4 different parts, each of them has the Qty=1. Is there any way to be able to show the part in the assembly as one part with the Qty=4 ?

I do not want to make the part names identical for some reason.

Regards.

• Re: BOM Qty
          Bjorn Hulman

Hi David,

I'm sure there's sound logic to what you are trying to do. The simplest way would be to go into the file properties of one instance of the file, create a custom property for the qty, give it a value you require, in the top right there is a drop down, select the new custom property from the list. Hide the other 3 instances from your BOM.

Otherwise, instead of having multiple files for the same part, use configurations and give them configuration specific descriptions.

David Nabulsi

Dear Bjorn,

Thanks for the reply.

First off, I cannot make configurations as these parts are derived by equations and the lengths are not fixed but flexible...The reason that I cannot use the custom property is that I am developing the assembly so in the future I might have thousands of the parts and so I do not want to count each part to know how many of them I have...besides when I enter the new data, some of them might be suppressed, so I have to find a way that the number of parts is calculated by software not by me.

Thanks again

Bjorn Hulman

Hi David,

so there is a lot of information there you did not previously provide. From my experience you will not find the functionality you are asking for easily.

It's likely you will need to create a macro to do what you are after, and you will need some way for the macro to know that files, with their different names, are to be grouped and counted as one. Either you might use a specific filename convention, where the macro will be able to recognise and group the files, or you could use a custom property. I'd probably use a custom property.

Deepak Gupta

Try the following method:

Make sure those component has same configuration name and BOM option part number display value is set identical in both of them (set either to configuration name to user specified). And make sure both values are same.

And then set this option in the BOM

David Nabulsi

Does not work. I want to tell Solidworks if I two parts had the same custom property, consider them the same in BOM. Is that possible?

Regards.

Josh Brady

As far as I know there is no way to combine two different parts/assemblies into a single BOM line.

Image result for crow on a plate

Guess it does work across different part files.

Three different part files:

Deepak Gupta

What does not work? I've just tried and the option/method works for me.

David Nabulsi

Look at my reply to Josh's post dear Deepak

Deepak Gupta

That option would not combine all parts even if they've same configuration name. For the components you want to combine, you need to change their BOM option part number display to either configuration name OR user specified.

In case of user specified, make sure that user specified name are same for those components.

And when in the BOM you set to display the configuration with same name as one item, those components would be shown in one single row with correct quantity.

David Nabulsi

dear deepak,

imagine a very large assembly with thousands of parts deriven by equations...when you enter the global variable values, based on what you entered, some of them would be the same parts but with different names...i do not want to find the same parts one by one and then make their configuration names the same...i want a systematic approach than manually finding the same parts and rename their configuration names. my question about 4 identical parts was just an example. believe me, it does not work this way deepak. 

Deepak Gupta

David Nabulsi wrote:

dear deepak,

imagine a very large assembly with thousands of parts deriven by equations...when you enter the global variable values, based on what you entered, some of them would be the same parts but with different names...

Well if they are same parts but different name then this is not correct work flow in my opinion. Someone looking at BOM and comparing with assembly can be easily confused.

I can not think of other direct way but macro/API might be a solution.

David Matula

David Nabulsi wrote:

Does not work. I want to tell Solidworks if I two parts had the same custom property, consider them the same in BOM. Is that possible?

Regards.

if they have the same configuration name they should.

Why I did not like using that option when all the configurations where called default at one place.

Doug Seibel

So...if I'm understanding you correctly...you are wanting parts that have different file names and that are different sizes to show up in the BOM as the same part...correct?  Would I also be correct in assuming that there will be other parts in the assembly, with different file names and different sizes, that you will not want lumped in with the total count of these particular parts?

Matt Peneguy

Doug Seibel,

Very good questions.  I don't understand the workflow here.  Sometimes shoehorning SW into doing something it isn't able to do isn't the correct path.  And often there are reasons for that and your questions allude to the problem being presented.  How do you make SW manage a set of parts in the BOM differently than a different set of parts?  This may be a recipe for future headaches.

I'd like to see some screenshots before I offer up any suggestions because I'm still not sure exactly what is being attempted here.

David Nabulsi

Ok. I think I have to explain a bit more. The picture below shows the work I am doing:

Techno.jpg

This is the structure for a modular Electrical enclosure which is made by two main components: "Corner bar" and "Cross Bar". Both parts are like a hollow section with a lot of holes on their faces...some holes are just normal holes and some of them are threaded hole, so the other bars can be bolted to them.

In reality, you can buy cross bars and corner bars and the only parameter for them is the length. Normal lengths for cross bars and corner bars are: 200mm, 300mm, 400mm, 600mm, 800mm, 1000mm, 1200mm, 1400mm, 1600mm, 1800mm, 2000mm, 2200mm and 2400mm...So, I can make 13 configurations for a cross bar and 13 configurations for a corner bar and based on the length, the number of holes and tapped holes on them will be different. But that is not the case here....

You can see the corner bars make the frame and cross bars make the partitions...each partition can have different width.The other thing is that, The job you can see in the picture is not a complete job and a complete job has some transverse cross bars which subdivide each partition to some sub-partitions...

This way, it takes a long time to make a structure for a modular Electrical enclosure by corner bars and cross bars with their configurations, as you should pick a bar...choose its configuration and mate that to the rest of structure, so as in our factory we make these structures a lot with so many variations, I decided to use equations for this job. This way there is no configuration for any cross bar or corner bar and the whole structure is driven by equations...you enter the width, height, depth, number of partitions you needed, width for each partition then number of sub-partitions in each partition and height of each sub-partition ...after all a structure like what you see in the picture (and of course more complete than that one) appears. 

For now, lets just talk about the structure in the picture which has 5 partitions. Of course when you use equation to make this structure, you  cannot have the same name for the transverse cross bars and vertical cross bars because they have different lengths. and not necessarily the transverse cross bars in the first partition has the same length as the transverse cross bars in the second partition or third partition or forth and so on....so in general I put different names on each part, so that If I make some changes on one of them it does not affect on the others...

Now, sometimes for example, the width of the first and second partitions are the same, so when I enter the width for these two partitions in the equations , the transverse cross bars for these two partitions are exactly the same parts but the point is that as they have different names they will appear in two separate rows in BOM table....

Is that clear now?

Bjorn Hulman

IMO This just screams Weldments + Design table + Cutlist.

David Nabulsi

Dear Bjorn,

How Can I use weldment when there are a lot of holes on the cross bars and corner bars?

how can i use design table when there are  millions of configurations here?

Ignacio Vital

Hi,

Do you have millions of configurations for the assembly, or for the parts?

It is impossible to understand the assembly/drawing without the holes?

You cannot put a reference number for the profile they need to use in each bar and work with it?

I think, with your comments, work with the weldment workflow could help you a lot.

David Nabulsi

Dear Ignacio,

- I  have millions of configurations for assembly.

- yes. it really is impossible. besides, i need the holes for later use. it is just the structure and the holes will be used later for another purposes for example fixing some electrical devices.

- if you mean weldment profiles, i cannot use as i explained above.

- any other ideas would be highly appreciated.

thanks

Josh Brady

If you would spend as much time learning about and understanding design tables as you've spent telling us that they won't work for you, you would find out that they do.

David Nabulsi

Dear Josh,

Just correct me if I am wrong. Design table is nothing but making new configurations by an excel sheet. Here are millions of configuration and i cannot make millions of configuration.

Wrong???

Josh Brady

Yes.  Wrong.

David Nabulsi

Please tell me why?

Josh Brady

Why?  Because that's the way it frigging works.  Learn how to use the daggum software.  Take a class.  Run through a tutorial.  Good grief.

David Nabulsi

Dear Josh,

when someone asks a question here and he thinks he knows the topic... I do not think it is a right answer to say : you are wrong. Go and take a course.

we are not here just for saying another one is wrong...we are here to teach them what is wrong about their thoughts or ideas. But thanks anyway... I will study more

Josh Brady

You've been getting good advice from multiple people to use a design table.  You even got advice from one guy to use a design table with one line.  You don't actually know how design tables work, yet you've rejected them multiple times.  Maybe that should be a clue that you need to learn some more.  I don't have time to write you a tutorial.  Plus they already exist.  That's why I said that if you took the same amount of time to learn design tables as you've spent telling people they're not good for you, you would find out that they're exactly perfect.

David Nabulsi

Just for your info... I put here the definition of design table from solidworks online help:

A design table allows you to build multiple configurations of parts or assemblies by specifying parameters in an embedded Microsoft Excel worksheet.

that is exactly what I said. You had better go and increase your knowledge.

If you do not have time to write something here please do not comment.

Bjorn Hulman

David,

what is your SolidWorks experience?

using a design table gives you the power to use formulas etc to generate a complete table to define each configuration extremely rapidly. All you need is one configuration, insert a design table, populate the table with various formulas, close the table and the configurations are generated in fromt of your eyes. If you were open to the vast amount of knowledge and experience you have been getting help from so far you would potentially learn a lot.

If the material you are using comes off the shelf with all the holes in it, I would suggest not modelling the hole patterns as you would get an extremely hungry model. Instead put in some reference sketches/axis etc, all of which could be controlled for the design table.

also, how many of the potential millions of configurations would actually be produced? and would you want new part numbering etc for each of them? That can be taken care of by the design table.

Josh Brady

It says "allows you to build..." It doesn't say "can only build".  Easily generating a variety of configurations is certainly a normal use of design tables.  However, you can easily create a single-line design table that contains all the parameters and one single configuration.  You can then use Excel formulas to drive dimensions, configurations, suppression states, etc of your assembly.  Then, you open your design table, change the L/W/H values etc, Excel calculates the required parameters FOR YOUR SINGLE CONFIGURATION ON ONE SINGLE LINE.  When you exit the design table, those calculated parameters are applied to the one configuration that exists in the model. 

You have two choices at this point.

1. Swallow your pride, learn how to use design tables, and make your life easier

2. Keep on banging your head against the wall with this equation stuff.

I sleep OK at night either way.

David Nabulsi

All the things you mentioned are simple low level elementary things even a person who has worked with solidworks for 6 months knows for sure. Just some general obvious things.

you said everything to brag about yourself except for answering the question.

it has nothing to do with bom and my problem

Dennis Dohogne

Josh Brady wrote:

It says "allows you to build..." It doesn't say "can only build". Easily generating a variety of configurations is certainly a normal use of design tables. However, you can easily create a single-line design table that contains all the parameters and one single configuration. You can then use Excel formulas to drive dimensions, configurations, suppression states, etc of your assembly. Then, you open your design table, change the L/W/H values etc, Excel calculates the required parameters FOR YOUR SINGLE CONFIGURATION ON ONE SINGLE LINE. When you exit the design table, those calculated parameters are applied to the one configuration that exists in the model.

You have two choices at this point.

1. Swallow your pride, learn how to use design tables, and make your life easier

2. Keep on banging your head against the wall with this equation stuff.

I sleep OK at night either way.

It appears the choice has been made:

Image result for bang head against wall

Ignacio Vital

Ok, then I am thinking if there is a way to achieve than the reference number of all your parts will be: L= XXX mm Cross Bar or L= XXX mm Corner Bar. With XXX the length of the Bar.

This way, if you have two bars with the same length, there it will be in the same line how it is explained in other comments above.

I suppose that it will be neccesary to build a Macro with modifies each of the parts reference number, when you modifies the equations.

Bjorn Hulman

Are all of the millions of configuration going to be produced?

Yash Kothari

I am not SW expert but, Can you, in the macro, in which you are making these equations to make the assembly, add extra lines that replaces the new part of the same length with the old part. So that when the BOM is made, there will be no different parts with same length.(Rather there will be same part with desired quantity.)??

Edward Poole

David Nabulsi it sounds like you could use Driveworks!

Dan Pihlaja

The configuration publisher actually might work for you.

https://hawkridgesys.com/blog/how-to-use-the-solidworks-configuration-publisher

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Configuration Publisher

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Creating a Custom PropertyManager

How to Easily Manage Configurations with Configuration Publisher

Intro to Configuration Publisher - Banschineer.COM

Basically, on your individual parts, just set up equations that are based off of your overall length for the hole patterns, etc...

Then, use configuration publisher to drop these into your assembly.

And with a single line design table paired with configuration publisher, the configurations of your individual parts will be created on the fly.  Potentially millions of configurations can be created this way.

I think that you might be able to tie in your current workflow into it.

Although I am not sure.

David Nabulsi

All the things you mentioned are simple low level elementary things even a person who has worked with solidworks for 6 months knows for sure. Just some general obvious things.

you said everything to brag about yourself except for answering the question

Alex Lachance

Here's a simple solution. If the parts are the same, USE THE SAME PARTS.

John Stoltzfus

David Nabulsi - I know life can get difficult at times but you don't need to be so hard on yourself - kick back and enjoy your own skin