5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 12:43 PM by Jeremy Stevens

Assembly cut won't suppress or modify

Jeremy Stevens

So, this is a little complicated but I'll try to be as clear as I can.

Let me start by saying I've been using SolidWorks 2010 and 2012 for six years or so now. The marketing department really loves the renderings I've been able to produce for them using PhotoView 360 in 2012. I've recently updated to 2018 and I'm working on my second rendering for them.

I modeled the filter vessel with great detail and the over all assembly has 5 sub-assemblies and one stand alone part. In order to display the internal components I usually do a cut out at the assembly level of the vessel shell. In this case, it is a vertical vessel with a flat closure on the top.

The first cut out I did was a 2D spline drawn on the Front Plane which went from near the bottom of the vessel all the way up through the top closure. In the feature definition, I specified, what I thought was, only the shell and the closure to be included in the cut. Turns out, I accidentally selected some components of the filters inside as well. On discovering this, I went back to the feature definition and removed the unwanted components from the item selection box and closed it. With the items removed, they are still showing as part of the cut. I have since deleted the cut and sketch all together, saved, and reopened the assembly and created two new sketches and cut and still the components of the filters are being cut from the original extruded cut.

More over, when I suppress the current cuts, the cut in the closure shows suppressed, but the components still visually show the cuts. I have double checked the sub-assemblies and I did not propagate the cut to the components. If I suppress and unsuppress the components they show normally until I start the rendering. Then everything goes back to the original sketch and cut and I can't make it go away.

Any ideas?

• Re: Assembly cut won't suppress or modify
          Dan Pihlaja

I commend you for doing a great job of explaining it.   Very clear.

However, while I can picture what you are doing, there might be more clues if we can see the assembly/parts.

Can you share an assembly that is exhibiting this behavior (even if it is a sample file)?   I am on SW 2017, so I wouldn't be able to open it, but someone here should be able to.  In addition to this, can you share a screen shot or two.

Deepak Gupta

There can be several reasons for the issue you're seeing, so as Dan has mentioned files or some screen shots would be help.

In the meanwhile can you try these two things:

1. Make a copy of the assembly and open/check that for issue.

2. Insert this assembly into a new assembly and check that for issue.

Also it might be related to SPR 1081551, so report to your VAR.

Jeremy Stevens

Here are some screen shots.

One detail I accidentally left out is that I can create the desired cut-away view by suppressing and unsuppressing the proper components and cuts in the right order, but as soon as I begin to render the vessel, it always reverts to the visual shown in Iso view - Cuts Unsuppressed.

Iso view - Cuts Unsuppressed.png

Iso View - Cuts Unsuppressed.

Top View - Cuts Suppressed.png

Top View - Cuts Suppressed

Top View - Cuts Unsuppressed.png

Top View - Cuts Unsuppressed

Desired Cut-Away View.png

Desired Cut-Away View

Dan Pihlaja

It looks like this cylinder has a series of little holes.   How are these holes defined?

Honestly, what it looks like to me is that this is the dotted line that is made when you use the hole wizard to create a threaded hole.  It looks like it may be being left behind.

Try turning off the viewing of top level or component level annotations and see if that helps:

Jeremy Stevens

The holes in the cylinder are simply a circular pattern of a curve driven pattern of an extruded cut. It needs to be there. The image you copied to your reply is the image I would like to render (but with the full vessel). The top image (Iso View - Cuts Unsuppressed) is the one that it keeps reverting to randomly before I can render it.