11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2018 1:11 PM by Christian Chu

CAD mouse

Ryan Helling

Anyone have good suggestions for a CAD mouse with more than 15 programmable buttons? I am using the REDRAGON M901 Perdition mouse, https://www.amazon.com/Redragon-PERDITION-Programmable-programmable-profiles/dp/B00GU8W5AE?th=1) and it has about 15 programmable buttons (if you keep the standard left, right and center click as default).

Problem is I have all of them connected to commonly striked keys, macros, and SolidWorks hot keys. I still find myself wanting more, it makes modeling and everything else a million times faster. And yea I am using all the SW mouse gestures allowed.

I think qty 12 is good amount of side keys, but it would be nice if there was a "shift key" on the mouse or something so I could hit the "shift key" and then a programmable button, which would then do something different than just hitting the programmable button. Anyone know anything like this?

• Re: CAD mouse
          Matt Peneguy

Logitech g600 mouse is the best I've found.  I don't like a lot of the other gaming mice because they require software to map the functions in real time.  The g600 is programmed and retains those settings.  So, I can program it from home and bring it to work.

If you really want to up your game, get the basic 3d mouse from 3dconnexion:

3Dconnexion - SpaceMouse Compact

I have the older version of that model and it makes things so much easier. The combo of the g600 and the spacemouse is great, IMO.

Ryan Helling

Hey Matt, the Logitech only has 12 on the side as well however if I ever have issues with the REDRAGON mouse I will look into getting that one... I have the 3D Mouse from 3D connexion, I agree it is great. But I am addicted to these quick mouse buttons it makes everything so fast, dont have to touch my keyboard ever..

Matt Peneguy

It sounds like it may not be what you are looking for.

But just to clarify, it also has a right "shift" button I think that makes an additional 12 key mappings, but I don't use that. You can also shift between 3 or 4 different "modes" with a whole different set of button mappings. You can tell what mode you are by what color the backlight is.

Does that Reddragon have onboard memory? If I were to program it at home and bring it to work would it work the same without installing any additional software?

Ryan Helling

Hi Matt, you are totally correct. I was reading their website again and the g600 does have what they call the "G-shift button" which doubles the number of keys you can program. This is exactly what I am looking for thank you for steering me to this. Looks like you have to get some Logitech Gaming Software for the color mapping of different modes, but the shift key will do exactly what I need, for now.. until I want more buttons ;p

Not sure about the onboard memory for the Redragon, I have never moved it to another computer and its not clear to me whether the software is running from the mouse or not. If you want I can give it a try, but I think you have the better mouse (the Logitech). I am definitely picking one of those up.

Dan Pihlaja

Did you know that the 3d SpaceMouse from 3d Connexion also has its own built in "Mouse Gestures"?  They call them radial menus.  And you can define them however you want.    And they can be specific to whichever are of Solidworks you are in.   When you are in assembly mode, then your button configuration for assembly is assigned.  When you are in part mode, then your button configuration for part is assigned.

If you used the radial menu's then this is essentially an additional 4 buttons per button that you could potentially assign.  Mix that with the "S" shortcut key and mouse gestures from inside Solidworks (and all three areas change depending on which are of Solidworks you are accessing, and you can conceivably have every command at your fingertips.

Ryan Helling

I had not made use of this, thanks Dan this will add another 4 buttons, appreciate the tip.

Todd Blacksher

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Did you know that the 3d SpaceMouse from 3d Connexion also has its own built in "Mouse Gestures"? They call them radial menus.

The really cool part about the radial menus is that they work for ALL programs - you can customize them for Windows Explorer, Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word, Google Chrome, and so on . . .

I'm not ashamed to admit that I have THREE of these mice now - wired for work & home, wireless for travel.

Ben Langdon

have the logitech mx master, but also have a 3d mouse with all the buttons, but not the one with a screen. the mx master can program the top button as a gester button and make it 5 buttons. you press it and move up down left or right, or just click. for instance i have the down click as ctrl s, so i can save any document i am working on very easily and often. once i got the 3d mouse it is so much better than having everything on mouse. the buttons for the 3d mouse are program specific, ie, you can make then work differently from part to drawing to assembly, excel, word. etc. if you are having a need for more macros, try the rmb commond with 12 sections, and if your like me and just exausted those, i am trying to set up another keyboard for macros. i am trying the video taren put out on linus tech tips on youtube. haven't tried luamacros but working on getting interception working to make my second keyboard act as a unique device and not just exactly as my main keyboard.

Paul Risley

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master-2s-flow#specification-tabular

I have been using this one. While some don't like the additional use of software. I don't mind I use this mouse at home and at work. Logitech's software is pretty intuitive and you can pound out a lot of different commands along with utilizing the mouse gestures.

Capture.JPG

On top of side button assignments you can use the top view buttons as hold and mouse gesture buttons similar to RMB mouse gestures in solidworks. I use these extensively. Actually I set them up in groups so in while holding the top mid button I make 1 sweep gesture that minimizes the tree, force regen and save the part/drawing or assembly that I am working on. It works pretty slick.

Christian Chu

Paul Risley wrote:

https://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/mx-master-2s-flow#specification-tabular

I have been using this one. While some don't like the additional use of software. I don't mind I use this mouse at home and at work. Logitech's software is pretty intuitive and you can pound out a lot of different commands along with utilizing the mouse gestures.

Capture.JPG

On top of side button assignments you can use the top view buttons as hold and mouse gesture buttons similar to RMB mouse gestures in solidworks. I use these extensively. Actually I set them up in groups so in while holding the top mid button I make 1 sweep gesture that minimizes the tree, force regen and save the part/drawing or assembly that I am working on. It works pretty slick.

I have this one too. Love it