3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2018 1:08 PM by Kevin Chandler

Mapping Question

Jim Moses

Hi again,

OK I have a Solidworks drawing with a Dim layer (Green-96) and another layer Border text (Blue-135), both are notes

I am converting to a DWG, Dim layer (Yellow-2), and Border Text (Blue-4) but every-time I get both layers on DIM layer Yellow-2

How do I get the mapping file to only change the Dim layer to Dim Yellow, I've tried setting only notes that are yellow, which didn't work

Also tried green-96 but that just changed them to dim layer and green after converting

any help would be greatly appreciated as I have yet find a good way to learn this other than a lot of trial and error

Regards,

• Re: Mapping Question
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If I'm understanding your post correctly, as shown in your mapping dialog, you map layers to entity types.

You don't map SW layer to DWG layer.

So, once you've mapped one entity type to a layer, you can't map the same type to another layer.

You're trying to tell SW to map some notes here and some notes there. There's no provision for SW to distinguish within an entity type.

SW just complains:

This is why all dims end up on one layer.

Cheers,

Kevin

Jim Moses

Hi,

Not sure if I explained correctly, but can you have notes on 2 different layers or does Solidworks only look at notes and convert all accordingly

Not sure if it makes a difference or not, but the one layer is in the sheet format, and it still seems to change it all to the dim layer.

Regards,

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

SW doesn't map layer to layer with the mapping dialog.

Only entities to a single layer (since once you've selected an entity type for mapping, you've can't pick it for another layer too).

As a suggestion, try exporting to DWG without the mapping file and see if it's closer to what you want: a layer to layer conversion (which is what will happen).

In save as DWG dialog, click options and uncheck the mapping checkbox. Continue with the export.

Cheers,

Kevin