45 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2018 2:47 PM by Richard Gergely

Boxx Apexx OR Dell Precision?

Rob Edwards

Hi Guys

I've read a lot on here about Boxx computers.  Are they worth the extra money?

If so I think I'd need something tangible to tell the boss

Here's some specs/prices for comparison

Thanks for looking

• Re: Boxx Apexx OR Dell Precision?
          Rob Edwards

BTW

My current setup is a Dell Precision M6700 laptop running 2016 standard.  The laptop was great back in the day and is still absolutely fine for the most part, but does start to chug a bit with drawings of our larger assemblies.

We are upgrading to 2018 Professional, so will now have the option for rendering.

Dave Bear

Hi Rob,

Reading a few threads about this lately, and assuming that you are comparing these four units based on you knowing what your needs are I would suggest going for the Dell Precision 3620 "High End". Too bad it doesn't have the i7-8700k like the Boxx Apexx S3 though.

Now to select a nice monitor............

Dave.

Rob Edwards

Thanks Dave

Yeah, the salesman threw in a free monitor with the S3 which is nice.

The Dell does have a 8GB P4000 Graphics card though.

Do you have a recomendation for a monitor?  Back in the day I used to read a lot about hardware but its all mumbo-jumbo to me these days... :/

I'm presuming the build quality is better with the boxx.  One point the rep mentioned was easily cleanable filters...  it is pretty dusty where we work..  You know what wood is like... the dust gets everywhere

Dave Bear

Rob Edwards wrote:

Thanks Dave

Yeah, the salesman threw in a free monitor with the S3 which is nice.

The Dell does have a 8GB P4000 Graphics card though.

Do you have a recomendation for a monitor? Back in the day I used to read a lot about hardware but its all mumbo-jumbo to me these days... :/

I'm presuming the build quality is better with the boxx. One point the rep mentioned was easily cleanable filters... it is pretty dusty where we work.. You know what wood is like... the dust gets everywhere

No mate, I'm like you, I use to have a pretty good idea of it but not anymore........

And yes, the dust could be a killer!

I'll be keeping a close eye on this though to see what you end up with.

Dave.

Dave Bear

I was trying to compare what you are looking at with what

Craig Schultz

We are migrating to the Boxx S3 workstations. ~9-10 in the last 4 months.  I got BOXX into my previous place, then have convinced my current place to switch over from DELL/HP when new workstations are needed.  They're nice because they aren't loaded with bloatware. Lets's just say I could start installing SW/PDM  on the Dell/HP machines, then start on the BOXXs.  The BOXXs would all finish before the others, sometimes a solid 15-20 minutes before the machines which were started 20-30 minutes before them.

GFX - the P2000 is working just fine as  standard in the S3.  But if you can swing a better one, I'm assuming for Visualize, then upgrade.  I use Keyshot and haven't tested out Visualize after some crashes on a real basic part when I try to modify a material.

Monitors - We have viewsonic VX2778 that are nice.  Not sure on the price. 

The difference I see is the processor at ~17% speed increase for the S3 vs the APEX.  That could be huge in your rebuild times in SW since it's a single core program.

Support - BOXX is much smaller than HP, so you can imagine the difference in customer service.  Personally, I've never experienced a problem with a BOXX. But we had one show up with a faulty CD drive a few years ago, but BOXX over nighted a drive.(S3s don't have one, do that's out of the question now)

Rob Edwards

Craig Schultz wrote:

We are migrating to the Boxx S3 workstations. ~9-10 in the last 4 months. I got BOXX into my previous place, then have convinced my current place to switch over from DELL/HP when new workstations are needed. They're nice because they aren't loaded with bloatware. Lets's just say I could start installing SW/PDM on the Dell/HP machines, then start on the BOXXs. The BOXXs would all finish before the others, sometimes a solid 15-20 minutes before the machines which were started 20-30 minutes before them.

GFX - the P2000 is working just fine as standard in the S3. But if you can swing a better one, I'm assuming for Visualize, then upgrade. I use Keyshot and haven't tested out Visualize after some crashes on a real basic part when I try to modify a material.

Monitors - We have viewsonic VX2778 that are nice. Not sure on the price.

The difference I see is the processor at ~17% speed increase for the S3 vs the APEX. That could be huge in your rebuild times in SW since it's a single core program.

Support - BOXX is much smaller than HP, so you can imagine the difference in customer service. Personally, I've never experienced a problem with a BOXX. But we had one show up with a faulty CD drive a few years ago, but BOXX over nighted a drive.(S3s don't have one, do that's out of the question now)

Thanks Craig, that's just the kind of comments I was looking for.  I think that ultimately the extra price is irrelevant over the life of the machine, and if every operation completes just that bit quicker, that's gotta boost productivity.

The killer is the total up front costs, we are getting a new seat and a new employee!

Jack Brooker

When it comes to prebuilt PCs, something I like to do is shove all the parts into PCPartPicker and see roughly what they're charging to build and test it - usually i'd say build from scratch if you can, but the warranty and safety knowing that its been tested by another company is usually the main selling point for prebuilts.

(Keep in mind that pricing is subject to slight change over time as prices fluctuate - prices correct as of 12:30 - 07/06/18)

PCPCPartPicker LinkTotal PCPartPicker CostTotal Supplier Cost

Rough Added costs by Supplier

Boxx Apexx S3https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jtrcxG£2040.74£3444.00+£1403.26
                        Boxx Apexx S2https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Bss8QZ£1966.65£2637.60+£670.95
                        Dell Precision 3620 Desktophttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K6PzP3£1723.69

£2508.34 (Dell)

£1740.00 (Solid Solutions)

+£784.65

+£16.31

Whether the prices are to your liking is for you to decide regarding that -

As far as parts go, obviously the Apexx S3 has the best specs. Currently the best CPU on the market for solidworks are the 8th Gen Coffee lake CPUs, currently the i7 8700K is the best money can buy you. Once the i7 8086k releases, it'll be that

What exactly do you use it for with solidworks, do you do mostly modeling, simulation, rendering? That'll help me narrow down what you need

Edit - messed up the pricing for the Dell. Solid Solutions sell it at £1450 EX VAT (1740 inc VAT) and include delivery. Dell themselves sell it for £2508.34

Rob Edwards

Jack Brooker wrote:

When it comes to prebuild PCs, something I like to do is shove all the parts into PCPartPicker and see roughly what they're charging to build and test it - usually i'd say build from scratch if you can, but the warranty and safety knowing that its been tested by another company is usually the main selling point for prebuilts.

(Keep in mind that pricing is subject to slight change over time as prices fluctuate - prices correct as of 12:30 - 07/06/18)

PCPCPartPicker LinkTotal PCPartPicker CostTotal Supplier Cost

Rough Added costs by Boxx

Boxx Apexx S3https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jtrcxG £2040.74£3444.00+£1403.26
                            Boxx Apexx S2https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Bss8QZ £1966.65£2637.60+£670.95
                            Dell Precision 3620 Desktophttps://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/K6PzP3 £1723.69£2508.34+£784.65

Whether the prices are to your liking is for you to decide regarding that -

As far as parts go, obviously the Apexx S3 has the best specs. Currently the best CPU on the market for solidworks are the 8th Gen Coffee lake CPUs, currently the i7 8700K is the best money can buy you. Once the i7 8086k releases, it'll be that

What exactly do you use it for with solidworks, do you do mostly modeling, simulation, rendering? That'll help me narrow down what you need

Hi Jack

Thankyou, that's a really good way to compare builds.  I would love to build my own, maybe I could/should?  It looks like I could get the beast for the price of the Dell.

Our work is not that demanding.  Mostly consisting of Multibody parts between 20 and 200 bodies.  There might be 5 or 6 of these in an assembly.  As I mention my old laptop, copes pretty well but does slow down with our more complicated models.

Something like this is about as complex as we are looking, but ideally I would like a good comfort zone.

We don't run simulation.  I would like to get into rendering, but it will be of low frequency.

Thanks again

Craig Schultz

I think the P2000 would be fine for that type of model.

Building your own.....no warranty....you're the support....I have seen no bueno issues come out of it.  Figure out your hourly rate to build one, and guesstimate what it would take to fix if something goes wrong.

Jack Brooker

This is the main reason I said that it's up to you whether the prices are that big of a concern - losing warranty can sometimes be a big deal, but generally a lot of problems that do crop up can be solved with a bit of technical know-how behind it.

As with most things, if you dedicate some time to learning about your computer (i.e. what the components do and some basic google troubleshooting), you can save yourself some money. But if you don't have the time for that, sometimes it's a lot safer to buy prebuilt.

As for whether you personally would be able to build a computer (gaining the knowledge on how to do it), its actually quite simple to build a computer. Generally speaking most motherboards come with a guide that shows you where everything plugs in, and if not, google is your best friend

If you want custom parts but want somebody else to build it for you, a website I trust for the UK is SCAN. They'll test it and give you a 3 year warranty as well which may be what you're after?

I quickly mocked up something similar to what you've been looking at:

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/shared/96ebd29f-4e34-4586-8aab-d2b099696526

Alan Sweetenham

Thanks that's actually quite helpful i've never used that site before. For me it shows that our Dell specs you would struggle to even build yourself compared to an Dell coming fully built and  including warranty etc, presume your price from part picker is including VAT then our all rounder spec at £1450 EX VAT (1740 inc VAT) and we include delivery. That is pretty much the same you have from part picker, but you have £2508 in your table not sure where you got that from?

Jack Brooker

I didn't see that the pricing had been included in Rob Edwards post, my bad, I'll correct it

I got my pricing from the official dell website below - obviously that's not what Solid Solutions are selling them for though

Precision Tower 3000 Series (3420, 3620) | Dell UK 

Now that I've seen that - Rob Edwards, the Solid Solutions deal is actually really good, especially with the included warranty & delivery. I'm still an advocate for building from scratch but that is a good deal

Rob Edwards

Jack Brooker wrote:

[...] the Solid Solutions deal is actually really good, especially with the included warranty & delivery. I'm still an advocate for building from scratch but that is a good deal

Hi Jack

Yes, I think the value is excellent.  The rep told me that they have a vested interest in their customers having good machines.

I'm not sure if these prices are only available when bundling in with a seat of Solidworks or not, but we are about to place an order so that is not a problem.

Thankyou again for your help.  I have never built a PC from the ground up but have changed memory, drives, and other cards.  And I've also reinstalled everything from a wiped computer so I'd be game for trying.  Maybe next time if not now

Alan Sweetenham

Hey Rob, we will sell our customers hardware any time they need it, it's just part of making sure you have the best experience. We just don't sell outside of our customer base as we are primarily focused on SOLIDWORKS products rather than shifting boxes.  We get some pretty good discounts due to the hundreds of systems we buy a year.

Alan

Gary Garrison

I'm in the USA, and are in the planning stages of replacing my current workstation (Dell T3400 of 2009 vintage).

I'll be honest, my first workstation was a last minute IT department buy at a local electronics retailer because the one that was ordered was DOA and I was starting my job the next day.  It was a nice comsumer grade HP that was fully wiped and we installed what we needed from there.  It has only recently become unreliable due to mechanical part failures (board fans).  This took place 2005.

In 2009 we bought the Dell T3400 that I still use.  It had good specs for the time but nothing earth shattering.  We have changed out hard drives and maybe added some RAM.  Everything else was software.  I have never used a warranty.  Ever...

I plan to build my next workstation.  I can get latest spec hardware and monitors for what the BOXX will cost here in the United States.  I won't have the "bloatware" from some builders because I am installing the software myself.  For me the "stability" of a vendor build doesn't really hold much value, given that in 13 years I have never needed their services.

Alan Sweetenham

Hi Rob, firstly just ot say  i'm the technical guy at Solid Solutions who put these Dell specs together  in your post, but i do pride myself on being honest and as inpartial as possible (i don't get commision!) as my role is to make sure customers get the right spec, if they get Dell kit through us then all the better we just felt that the SOLIDWORKS system requirments page with it's miminum requirements wasn't enough.

Anyway disclaimers aside advice would be our experience the reliability and service from Dell is second to none,  the designs are pretty top notch too with plenty of consideration of airflow and cable routing. Main thing against other providers is often you have to send it back to base if something goes wrong, meanwhile you can’t work which is a huge risk/potential cost, (see the return to base warranty on the BOXX systems ) We always recommended customers get on-site support, for instance our specs all  have 3 year pro support with a very professional team based in Ireland and if there is an issue they can’t solve on the phone they will be out the next working day to fix it  (so long as the parts are available) we've had a very good experience with this across our hundreds of machines and thousands of customers.

As far as the nuts are bolts If you are using Photoview 360 then the factor to consider is the CPU (number of cores and speed of them) where is Visualize it's all about the graphics card. I would expect the P4000 to be 30-40% faster than the P2000 as a ball park figure See Visualize benchmarks here https://www.solidworks.com/sw/support/visualize-hardware-benchmarks.htm As for monitors we recommend the 24 inch ultrasharp U2414H they say Boxx are throwing in a monitor which to me shows they have a fair bit of margin in there, typically hardware pricing margins are very tight.

As far as CPU, Dell won’t have 6 core options until later this summer but that only really makes a difference for Photoview and simulation products, the difference for SOLIDWORKS would be marginal; see https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-Coffee-Lake-CPU-Comparison-i7-8700K-i5-8600K-i3-8350K-1053/

Also i would avoid AMD for now as they are still significantly slower for SOLIDWORKS, see https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/SOLIDWORKS-2017-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X-1800X-Performance-908/ for evidence why, they are catching intel but not enough yet

if you want anything more ask your account manager or get in touch with our support team who can pass any queries my way if needed.

Kind Regards

Alan

Christian Chu

There had been few dicussions about this topic

IMO - GO for the BOXX if you can afford !

John Matrishon

I'll have to put a vote in for Boxx.  I've seen many different systems over the years and have seen computers work great or horrible from all makers.   I was a fan of Dell, for my home systems are mostly Dell and they were bought based on specs and price.   Bulk distribution seems to make cheaper prices but, honestly if I could buy a Boxx for home I would.  Will the Dell work, sure it will, but in 2010 at SWW I got to see Boxx up close and talk with them, I was hooked very quickly.  At the time, we were comparing HP Z machines, Dell, Lenovo, and Boxx.   Boxx had the speed advantage and our IT loved how they were not loaded down with HP Advisor or Dell's version of that.   We went with Boxx for our high-end folks and HP for average user and after the HP's were nothing but problems, soon switched to Boxx for all.  Desktops, goboxx and the Slim laptops.  Buying in quantity can get you price breaks, so we see as big of difference.  Our IT really likes them, and they will last!  I have one of the early Slims and have no issues, but I need to be portable.   Stick with the Desktop and really ask them about what your are doing and have them help you.  You may just be able to bring the price down without sacrificing too much performance.   As others have said, their Tech support is pretty good as well.   They know SOLIDWORKS, their desktops are designed in it.

JM

Tom Gagnon

I'd like to share another source to consider. I'm pleased with our purchases there, but haven't used the alternatives that you are considering, to directly compare them myself.

Solid Box is not the same as BOXX, but is another source. They offer Dell Precision workstations, optimized for Solidworks. There are some old threads in this forum about that vendor as well.

I understand you're weighing the value proposition, to which I'm not imposing an absolute judgement. Others have already discussed the breadth of value, which should include considerations of benchmarks, support, crapware / bloatware (or not), and more. To me, nearly everything advantageous which others have said about BOXX also applies to Solid Box.

For comparison with a typical Dell Precision, my Dell Precision from Solid Box has only three installed programs from Dell: "Dell Command | Update", Dell Digital Delivery, and Dell Foundation Services. I use none of these, but have left them in place anyway because it does not detract from SWx performance.

If I compare that with a typical OEM PC, most of them have at least 10 barely useful installed programs which are mostly crap / bloat.

Either way, another thing to consider is buying one non-optimized, and simply removing the crapware with CCleaner utility (free). YMMV.

David Sloop

I'm running the Boxx apex A2 with only 16gb ram. (Bosses went cheap)

Has a lot of issues at first, but ended up fixing most by increasing the virtual memory, and increasing the GPU values.

We thought it would be better to have the support from the same people who sold us Soliworks, but after many calls and emails, I ended up figuring the issue out myself.

So, I guess take that into consideration.

Your results may vary.

The next gen S2 machines are better in every respect, and came out right after we bought this one.

But yes. they cost a few hundred more than a comparable Dell, or home built machine.

S. Leacox

Both myself and my parent company evaluated Boxx vs Dell vs HP.

Boxx won hands down. To get the same performance out a a Dell or HP vs the BOXX it was significantly more cost.

Jeff Mowry

One of the things Boxx has done (as long as I can remember) is offer overclocked chips.  For SolidWorks, this is an amazing asset, since much of your model crunching really needs the fastest single core clock speed for ideal performance.

I see I'm late to this discussion, but @Xi also makes excellent machines that typically cost quite a bit less than just about everyone else for their price/performance value.  I've used several of their machines and their customer support is top notch.

My recent build is excellent, though I don't think you'll be able to duplicate it without searching for "old" motherboards on eBay.  Wish I had a few more of them on hand, but at least this allows me another couple of years before swallowing the terribly bitter Windows 10 pill (got DSL and other rural issues here, so Windows 10 is much more of a parasite with slow internet than something efficient like 7).  But of course this machine will scream with 10 too.

Matt Westveld

Dell now has the i7-8700K available in their Precision 3630 towers.

Also interesting - the i9-8950HK at 4.8GHz turbo looks interesting - available in the reasonably compact Precision 5530 laptop.

We evaluated an BOXX APEXX S3 in March - very nice machine, but didn't fit our specific needs.

Rob Edwards

Thanks Matt, we went for the cheapest option and put the money saved towards a 12 month training passport.. but i have to say i was happy with the performance of our new dell when i tryed it out.  ive handed it over to our new employee now but will want to upgrade my own computer as soon i can afford it..  i'll be going for the new processor ... although it probably wont be so new by then ;/

Richard Gergely

I've been pretty happy with my HP Z4 G4 with a w2125 processor.

HP don't really do bloatware on workstations.

The biggest problem I see people having is windows 10 - it is one huge bloatware fest and quite honestly a joke for business. It's full of junk even on professional version which you can spend your time getting rid of some of it (not all it's impossible) but on the next update it is likely to come back again.

So all I can say is I wish I used the option to downgrade to windows 7 from the start.

Jeff Mowry

It's getting VERY difficult to get back to the superior-for-business Windows 7 on any of the new hardware.  Had difficulty finding a motherboard a year ago for my current build and used boards might be the only viable replacement currently, if able to be found.

Windows 10 is cute, but their recent track record of breaking things with forced updates that haven't been adequately vetted is simply not business ready.  If you prefer to dodge some of that nonsense, set your internet connection to "metered" so it doesn't automatically chug down the latest/greatest broken update.  That will fend off the broken updates long enough for Microsoft to beta-test them on the masses and provide some opportunity for patches before you suffer the consequences directly.

Richard Gergely

Jeff Mowry HP are still offering downgrade windows 7 on the latest workstations (this did surprise me) but they do have their own motherboards and their own modified version of windows 7.

I hear what you are saying about the updates but then there is always the fear it is security crucial

But yes turn back the clock to April and I would most definitely of gone with windows 7 again.

Other thing I have noticed with windows 10 it seems to have given a licence to the software manufacturers to bug you with pop-ups

Jeff Mowry

This is an older article on privacy settings you probably want to adjust if you're on Windows 10, so some of the settings have changed since then:

30 Ways Your Windows 10 Computer Phones Home to Microsoft

I think you can also customize what is seen in your Notifications tab within the forest of privacy settings--or it might simply be in the Notifications settings now.  Hard to keep up with Windows 10 since they change the interface every three or four months, and I won't use Windows 10 machines (yet--until forced to do so) in my business.  Also, I'd mentioned that Microsoft is breaking things with their patches lately.  Here's an article from a couple of days ago lamenting the latest batch of break-stuff patches:

Microsoft releases 27 Windows patches for Patch Tuesday bugs | Computerworld

Broken stuff when trying to operate a business is no good.  Even though I'm on Windows 7 I've been checking the KB articles on recent patches since last week I saw KB2952664 pop up in my list of updates (again), after it's been hidden from my update list several times in the past.  This is a snooping update I'm not interested in having on my business workstation and under previous releases had ties to the auto-"upgrade" GWX deception of 2015.  No thanks, Microsoft.  Hey, Microsoft, why not return to the business model of selling software that people and businesses actually want to have, rather than data mining?  Businesses have no valid reason to have their data mined and sold to highest bidders---particularly when they have no idea what you're mining/selling.  Why not make a Pro version of Windows 10 that allows businesses to opt out of this nonsense?

Full disclosure on my side:  When the design gigs wind down I make money by fixing (and building) computers.  I've had a lot of exposure to this sort of nonsense with client computers, most of which these days are running Windows 10.  I'm literally paid to fix what Windows (and malware and incompatible software and poor decisions) breaks.  Might as well capitalize on what I've been forced to learn to keep my own computers running, right?  Some of my not-so-subtle bitterness in this arena is that my own customers are forced to pay someone like me to fix something that never should have happened in the first place if Microsoft, et al were merely more careful with the interests of their customers.  I would never treat my customers in like manner.

Michael Lord

Rob,

You have plenty advice on the computer.

If you are looking at monitor I would recommend looking at the curved UltraWide. I have a DELL UltraSharp 34″ Curved Monitor – U3415W.

SOLIDWORKS on a DELL U3415W #SOLIDWORKS | Michael Lord

Matt Westveld

We have one of those Dell 34" UltraWides - super cool, but we couldn't justify the cost (at the time - $999 each) for 30+ engineers.

Might re-visit that now that they are cheaper!

Our value CAD monitor is a Samsung S32D850T - under $400 on Amazon these days, we have maybe 50 of them, seem to be working well.

The resolution / scaling works well for us, and pairs well with a small-bezel 24" 1080p monitor like an HP VH240a.

Matt Westveld

For reference - we just ordered 2 Dell Precision 3630 Towers @ $2153 each to try them out

We might still be in a discount (deal registration) plan due to an earlier large order, YMMV

Our VAR is Connection

Specs:

Precision 3630 Tower CTO BASE

Intel Core i7-8700K, 6 Core, 12MB Cache, 3.7GHz, 4.7Ghz Turbo w/ HD Graphics 630

Precision 3630 Tower with 300W up to 90% efficient PSU (80Plus Gold)

32GB (4x8GB) 2666MHz DDR4 UDIMM Non-ECC

NVIDIA Quadro P2000, 5GB, 4 DP

M.2 256GB PCIe NVMe Class 40 Solid State Drive C5 M.2 SSD

Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Plus Service

ProSupport: 7x24 Technical Support, 3 Years

ProSupport: Next Business Day Onsite, 3 Years