AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to add a point to sheetmetal drawing to tell laser what is the "keep side"?

Question asked by Danniel Sims on Jun 6, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 11, 2018 by Danniel Sims

Ok, so I have a fairly complicated conversion for flat drawings.  Essentially, we get drawings from our parent company who have a different laser set-up than we do, so we have to change what items go on which layers and changes colors, etc.

My problem is, I need to add a single point on the part drawing to tell the laser which side is the kept part.  It uses this marker to designate where the laser should start cutting( i.e. start inside a hole rather than burn through the part to keep).

I can't find a way to guarantee that I can place a point on a drawing that lands on the part to keep.  My current method selects the center point of a bend line and inserts the point there.  It works fine, except if the part doesn't have a bend.  The fabrication department wants to go back and manually add this, but I've fully automated everything else.  Push a button and it runs through all the flats on a build list and converts them.... except this point.  I could use the bounding box, but I can't think of anyway to prevent the point being placed inside a hole.

Any help would be appreciated.

*This is only a section of the code where I think this would work best:

Set swDraw = swApp.OpenDoc6(fileName, swDocumentTypes_e.swDocDRAWING, swOpenDocOptions_e.swOpenDocOptions_Silent, "", errors, warnings)

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

Set swModelDocExt = swModel.Extension

Set swSelMgr = swModel.SelectionManager

status = swDraw.ActivateView("Drawing View1")

status = swModelDocExt.SelectByID2("Drawing View1", "DRAWINGVIEW", 0.104008832128, 0.1163870710783, 0, False, 0, Nothing, 0)

Set swView = swSelMgr.GetSelectedObject6(1, -1)

swModel.ViewZoomtofit2

Set swRootDrawComp = swView.RootDrawingComponent

sLayerName = "layer1" ' MAIN

bRet = swDraw.CreateLayer(sLayerName, "LASER", 4194432, swLineCONTINUOUS, swLW_NORMAL, True): Debug.Assert bRet

swDraw.ChangeComponentLayer sLayerName, False 'True for ALL VIEWS - False for SELECTED VIEW

' instance.CreateLayer2(Layername, LayerDesc, LayerColor, LayerStyle, LayerWidth, BOn, BPrint)

'LINETYPES: swLineCONTINUOUS 0, swLineHIDDEN 1, swLinePHANTOM 2, swLineCHAIN 3, swLineCENTER 4, swLineSTITCH 5, swLineCHAINTHICK 6, swLineDEFAULT 7

'LINE WEIGHTS: swLW_NONE   -1, swLW_THIN 0, swLW_NORMAL 1, swLW_THICK 2, swLW_THICK2 3, swLW_THICK3 4, swLW_THICK4 5, swLW_THICK5 6, swLW_THICK6 7

'swLW_NUMBER 8, swLW_LAYER 9, swLW_CUSTOM 10

sLayerName = "layer4" ' BEND LINES

bRet = swDraw.CreateLayer(sLayerName, "BEND", 8404992, swLineHIDDEN, swLW_NORMAL, True): Debug.Assert bRet ' NEED THIS

sLayerName = "layer30" ' LOCATION

bRet = swDraw.CreateLayer(sLayerName, "LOCATE", 65535, swLineCONTINUOUS, swLW_NORMAL, True): Debug.Assert bRet ' NEED THIS

'Drawingview1 is still selected - *I WANT TO ADD THE POINT HERE AT SOME X & Y  - this was recorded separately Part should be swModel

Dim skPoint As Object

Set skPoint = Part.SketchManager.CreatePoint(X, Y, 0#)

Part.SetPickMode

Part.ClearSelection2 True

sLayerName = "layer40"  ' ETCHING

bRet = swDraw.CreateLayer(sLayerName, "ETCHING", 4227327, swLineCHAIN, swLW_NORMAL, True): Debug.Assert bRet ' NEED THIS

Outcomes