2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 18, 2018 3:38 PM by Chris Pratt

Trouble creating a thickened non-degenerate surface

Chris Pratt

I'm trying to create a hollow handle from the wire frame in figure 1, with a 3.15mm wall thickness, and without creating a degenerate surface. I can do the top portion fine (figure 2) but I cannot get the bottom half to behave. A boundary surface creates a degenerate surface (figure 3, note the converging lines on the left), a surface fill creates a chaotic surface (figure 4), and a boundary surface without the tips makes a non-degenerate surface but can't be thickened. I've previously used some hackey workarounds, but these all make life very difficult in the late stages of making the handle.

What is the secret sauce to success that I am missing, or the fundamental reason that this isn't possible? Attached is the original file.

1.png

Figure 1

2.png

Figure 2

3.png

Figure 3

4.png

Figure 4

5.png

Figure 5

• Re: Trouble creating a thickened non-degenerate surface
          Paul Salvador

Hello Chris,.. yeah, the tail end raises sharply.. so, it will not shell (offset),.. but,.. when there is a will,.. there is a way..  you can workaround this by offsetting a surface and manually capping the end..  I would have taken a different direction and I'll attach a image/file..

will-way 1.png

• Re: Trouble creating a thickened non-degenerate surface
              Chris Pratt

Lost souls on google TLDR: The surface had a curvature radius that was too small for the size of the offset I wanted to do. Trying to have SolidWorks create a non-degenerative surface and then thicken it all in one step is too much to ask of it. You'll need a process that manually fills in the spots that SolidWorks is having problems with.

Paul Salvador thanks! I'll note that what you did used a boundary surface, which creates a degenerate surface. However what you did to manually patch the rear end of the handle is useful for going the route of initially making a non-degenerate surface by excluding the endpoints.