8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2018 11:44 AM by F. Leatin

Delete a dimension in a fully difined sketch ?

F. Leatin

Is it possible to completely delete a dimension in a fully defined sketch ?

I searched 20 minutes for an answer, found nothing.

Thank you

• Re: Delete a dimension in a fully difined sketch ?
          Dave Bear

Hi Frank,

Yes, you certainly can. Just right click on the dimension and select delete. Be aware though that this could now deem your sketch as "undefined" and therefore one or several entities could show up as blue instead of black.

Could you explain why you need to do this, or is it just that you need to edit the dimension and not actually delete it?

Dave.

F. Leatin

6518SW.PNGI need to delete the 20mm dimension and will relocate it at the red arrow. Again, away from SW for too long.

Glenn Schroeder

It's as simple as deleting that dimension (either by right-clicking on it and choosing Delete from the drop-down or clicking on it and using the Delete key), activating the Smart Dimension tool, and clicking on each of the parallel edges indicated.  First, of course, you'll need to click on the sketch in the tree and choose the "Edit sketch" icon.

F. Leatin

Yes. Proper terminology would be I'm trying to "edit the sketch". Thank you for pointing that out. I've been away from SW for several months too long.

But I'm still not able to delete and relocate this dimension. I'm not doing something right. With "Sketch" on, if I highlight the dim, right click, no option to delete is available. If I push the delete key, it only deletes the number.

So, my goal is to completely and cleanly delete the dim, then relocate it.

Dan Pihlaja

F. Leatin wrote:

Yes. Proper terminology would be I'm trying to "edit the sketch". Thank you for pointing that out. I've been away from SW for several months too long.

But I'm still not able to delete and relocate this dimension. I'm not doing something right. With "Sketch" on, if I highlight the dim, right click, no option to delete is available. If I push the delete key, it only deletes the number.

So, my goal is to completely and cleanly delete the dim, then relocate it.

Aha!!   You have Instant2D on!   Try selecting the line of the dimension instead of the number.  Or Select it and slightly drag it, then hit delete.  Or turn off Instant2D

Garrett Matheron

From the image, looks like you should just delete the 20mm, ensure that the small segments are collinear to the other horizontal segments and simply re-dimension the horizontal lines where you show your arrow. However, from the image, it also does not look as though you are actually editing the sketch and are simple highlighting/exposing the dimensions by clicking the sketch. This would makes sense if you're having trouble deleting the dimension. All work in a sketch needs to be performed while editing the sketch.

Solid Air

Your question seems to missing information.  Sure you can delete a dimension in a fully defined sketch.  Depending on the type of dimension you delete will depend on if the sketch is still fully defined when you are done.  If it is a driven dimension then the sketch will still be fully defined.  If it is a driving dimension then the sketch will be under-defined.  Of course maybe adding a relation or two will make the sketch fully defined again.

So what are you really asking?