8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2018 8:36 AM by Scott Ellery

Visualize Keyframe Transition Adjustment.

Ivan Mladenovski

Hello.

Any solution on this?

- I think it should be a numerical adjustment (like all other camera settings.. ), it can be in percentage or something..

Cause if we like to have same transition on more keyframes (which is very often case in my work), after we find the perfect combination, we can input the numbers on other keyframe.

Just my opinion so far. It may be in conflict with other setting so they removed it, I don't know, it seems like a basic setting.

What you all think?

Thanks!

Regards, Ivan.

• Re: Visualize Keyframe Transition Adjustment.
          Scott Ellery

I like the idea ,

I always adjust until I like what I see but there is certainly a value (no pun intended) in have a numerical or percentage to it.

while we are at it , it would be awesome to be able to save easing settings for easy access when keyframing

Ivan Mladenovski

Also I thought of some like a grid in the view pane, so you can arrange the keyframes symmetrically if you like evenly movement lets say on both sides of the model (like the following photo):

- So from both sides, I like identically same movement, with slowing down in the middle, as a close-up..
              Currently I set up this animation manually (by hand), the best I was able to, but some "grid" or constraining the keyframes, to help the process of positioning the keyframes in space would be amazing.
              Just saying.

- Very satisfied with the earlier help, what do you think on this topic Mr. Brian Hillner ?

Best regards.
              Ivan.

Dave Goetsch

I don't do much animation but I can see how a grid that could be configured for spacing would be a great help. A snap-to-grid would be even better. Here's something that may help in the meantime. I made a quick & simple grid .png image in Adobe Illustrator and loaded it as a Backplate. You can enable it or disable it as needed. Certainly seems better than nothing. It's very light weight at only797k. I attached the .png image in 3,840 x 2,160 (4k) below.

Another idea I thought of is the "Rule of Thirds Overlay" that we already have in the Camera tab under Advanced. I use it a lot when laying out my static images. But, you are limited to just Thirds and Fourths. Maybe this could be enhanced by the Viz guys to allow us to place as many vertical & horizontal lines as we want ? Seems like that would be a very nice and simple enhancement.

Grid Backplate is here. Click to download.

http://dg-digital.com/dl/Grid-3840x2160.zip

And a screen shot to show what it looks like in Viz.

Viz.PNG

Ivan Mladenovski

Great idea   Dave Goetsch , thanks for sharing.

Hope it will be some standard solution from Visualize, maybe with the Rule of Thirds some upgrade or so..

Regards,
                      Ivan.

Scott Ellery

This is a very cool idea ,

in case you were looking for the Rule of thirds grid for composing your renders it is an option in visualize already.

it can be found under Camera > Advanced > Rule of Thirds Overlay and you can overlay a ROT or Rule of Fourths Grid.

ruleofthirds.png

Ivan Mladenovski

yeah, we already discussed on this..

The point is to be in the environment or somehow.. but must have the following:

- to be in space (not just 2d), in all directions.

- possibly to have snap-to-grid, with option to choose your snaps, like snap horizontally, snap with the height of the other keyframe, snap with the model etc.

- when you rotate, it must rotate with the view (just like the environment), like to be with the model, in place.

- to be one-button on/off easy to show and hide (because probably it will be annoying if it's on all the time, but I assume that I would like often to check if everything is in place.

- to have a zero point in the middle; x,y,z axes, and some designation of the lines (different colors, some numbers on the end of the line mm or in..etc. ), cause it would be A LOT of lines in all directions. Thinny lines everywhere in the space (almost invisible, similar as the camera path when you are editing viewing from another camera.. also this path is easy to on/off).

This is the first point that I would recommend, but again, it is on the guys in Visualize team if they want to improve in this direction, or just want to keep it very simple.

Hope some of them will jump in discussion..

See you..

Ivan.

Mark Jackson

I'm with you Ivan. I've mentioned basically the same thing and am hoping, in the near future, we get the ability to adjust the parameters of a keyframe with controls that have numerical values shown. Other programs, like Blender for example, have numerical values shown for what Visualize calls ease and tension, and more, for each keyframe.

Animation is very limited in Visualize at this time, and I'm not sure it makes sense for SOLIDWORKS to really add tons of animation features like found in Blender and Maya. That's not what Visualize is for, but I does bug the heck out of me to have a slider that doesn't have a numerical value display. That's like giving me a gas pedal in my car but no speedometer!