12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 12:15 PM by M. D.

Improvement suggestion

Josee Laplante

Hi to all,

As a person that has used other modeling platform I was wondering if there a place on this forum where we can suggest improvements for SW? Things we can vote on and they will actually consider?

Thanks,

• Re: Improvement suggestion
          Andy Sanders

I'm not sure about a place on this forum, other than to simply start a thread.

There is an Enhancement Request system setup through the Customer Portal part of the SW website.

Dan Pihlaja

This is the as-designed path by Solidworks corp for suggesting enhancements:

SolidWorks Enhancement Requests

Maha Nadarasa

I already have Solidworks Standard with subscription. Recently I purchased an online tutorial on Pipe and Tube Routing. This tutorial is with Solidworks files which needed Solidworks Premium to function properly, for that reason I need Solidworks Premium for couple of weeks only for educational purposes not for any Commercial purposes.

I am aware Solidworks Premium term licence minimum 3-month is available for US $ 1,450. Whom to I have to submit a request for consider having 1-month term licence. 

Dennis Dohogne

Maha Nadarasa wrote:

I already have Solidworks Standard with subscription. Recently I purchased an online tutorial on Pipe and Tube Routing. This tutorial is with Solidworks files which needed Solidworks Premium to function properly, for that reason I need Solidworks Premium for couple of weeks only for educational purposes not for any Commercial purposes.

I am aware Solidworks Premium term licence minimum 3-month is available for US $ 1,450. Whom to I have to submit a request for consider having 1-month term licence.

All purchases/leases of SWX must go through a VAR.  If you are already on subscription then you should already be connected with yours.  Contact them to make the necessary arrangements.  They will be glad to help.

Glenn Schroeder

Josee,

As Andy Sanders said, there's an Enhancement Request system in place, but in addition to that there's a yearly section here that allows users to submit ideas, which are then voted on, and the top ten are presented at Solidworks World.  Idea submission starts sometime in the fall and lasts a couple months, with voting in January.

Vladimir Urazhdin

SWX R&D team currently is developing a new way for submission a new ideas – directly via MySolidWorks web site.

Then submission will be permanently available for all users with subscription.

Tony Tieuli

Vladimir Urazhdin wrote:

SWX R&D team currently is developing a new way for submission a new ideas – directly via MySolidWorks web site.

Then submission will be permanently available for all users with subscription.

This is the first I've heard of that.

That would be a welcome addition to the enhancement process!

Dennis Dohogne

Here is the current official spot for submitting Enhancement Requests:

https://customerportal.solidworks.com/SWsearchCPOUI/Search.aspx?src=er

I do not know if you have to be on subscription/maintenance to access this area.

Today I was just on a videoconference with some folks at SWX regarding the ER system.  They were showing me some of the changes they are working on and getting my input.  Anybody that knows me knows I don't hold back on something like this.  I pointed out several things that would make what they showed me a lot better, but the great thing is that they are actively working on it and have prototype screens to show.

At SWW2018 Bruce Holway talked specifically about improving/overhauling the ER system.  They had searched high and low for a software product they could buy that would do the job, but were never satisfied with what they saw so they decided to do it themselves.  I like what I see so far and it will be a dramatic improvement over the current system.

I also pointed out to them that we, the users, are busy folks so they need to make it easy and intuitive to use.  But the other thing is that we are going out of our way to use the system in the first place; we are taking time out of our day to tell SWX about something that would make the software better.  SWX should be grateful for this information.  I was asked about restricting the ER system to subscription customers only and I said that was a bad idea.  If someone is willing to tell SWX how to make the software better does it matter if they are on subscription or not?  A good idea is a good idea regardless of its source.  A person that is not on subscription might never get to use the software with the ER, but they should still be able to submit an ER and help define it.