13 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2018 3:18 PM by Dean Baragar

New template

Dean Baragar

Hi,

Just upgraded to SW2018 and found out that they changed the way templates work.  Previously the # of decimal places was set by the model, now it seems like the drawing controls it.  Our old templates did not consider the # of decimal places because it was unimportant.  However, and I fixed this, when I try to save a new template, it says "A document which references other documents may not be saved as a template".  I was able to bypass this by saving as a .slddrw and changing the file extension.  Now, though, when I create a new drawing using the template, the save-as window has .drwdot as the default file type and starts at my template folder.  Previously it would automatically set the file name to match the model, and location to the model's folder location.

• Re: New template
          Peter De Vlieger

Dean,

And the question is.... ?

BTW, the amount of decimal places in a drawing has, as far as i know, always been set by the document properties of the drawing which in turn is standard set by the "overal drafting standard" which gets loaded with the template you use.

Dean Baragar

I guess the question would be simply "What gives?", or "What am I doing wrong?".  I haven't changed the templates in a few years, but have always done it by simply opening an existing drawing (model views and all), making my changes, then save as template.

The # decimal places I'm talking about was specifically for the mass, where previously it was the model that controlled it.  For dimensions, I believe you're right.

Jim Sculley

It sounds like you tried to save a drawing as a template but the drawing still had some references to a model even though you deleted all the drawing views.  If this is the case, it could be the view palette holding on to old references.  Be sure to refresh the view palette after you delete all the drawing views and before you save as a template.  You might have to save the empty drawing as a drawing and then reopen it to make sure the palette is cleared before saving as a template.  Also, be sure to read the following thread for some issues associated with using old drawings to make templates:

Crusty Old Template File Gotcha

Dan Pihlaja

I think that this is related.   It isn't in the "What's new in SW 2018", but it is a gigantic change in my opinion!

From S-074339 on knowledge base:

In the past, when inserting Mass and Volume properties in a drawing, these properties displayed the selected units in the part. Has this behavior changed?

Yes. The current behavior is correct.

Previous versions of the SOLIDWORKS® software were inconsistent in how some properties were displayed in the drawing. Some properties (such as Length) appeared using the drawing units. Others properties such as Mass and Volume used the part units.

The release SOLIDWORKS 2018 improves the consistency of such display. All custom properties now display using the drawing units. This should help to alleviate some confusion.  Also, because the "unit" is a document property, it makes sense to display in a drawing the units selected for the drawing document.

Dean Baragar

Yes, this was why I needed to change my templates in the first place.

Dan Pihlaja

I figured.   I threw this in the mix simply for some explanation as to the reason for the template change.

Regarding your specific error though: "A document which references other documents may not be saved as a template"

I wonder if this is new to SW 2018, because I would have expected you to get this message instead (I am on SW 2017):

Dean Baragar

I get that message also, and when I click OK it removes the views and everything.  Then the other message comes up and the template fails to save.

Dan Pihlaja

I wonder if you have multiple references inside your drawing when you save it as a template.  I don't know if this will matter, but  On your original file, do you see more than 1 reference listed when you go to File--> find references?

Dean Baragar

Yes, there are references there!  For some reason I can't delete the references, even after deleting the views and property references.  If I open a fresh template and recreate the changes I made it seems to work.

I also performed the same process on SW2016 and it worked to create a full drawing from a model, then save as template, so looks like its SW2018 issue.

Dan Pihlaja

Dean Baragar wrote:

Yes, there are references there! For some reason I can't delete the references, even after deleting the views and property references. If I open a fresh template and recreate the changes I made it seems to work.

I also performed the same process on SW2016 and it worked to create a full drawing from a model, then save as template, so looks like its SW2018 issue.

Sounds like, in that specific file, you might have some corrupted references.  If you can, send it to your VAR and see if they can sort it out.