6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 18, 2018 8:34 AM by Mathieu Myrand-Bolduc

Screen flickers badly on opening an assembly

Alin Vargatu

Have you encountered a situation where the screen flickers badly when opening an assembly?

It looks like SW opens and closes windows during this process. Many times a crash follows.

The problem cannot be reproduced if the Rx tool runs.

SW2017 SP 5, Windows 10

Text scale 100%.

• Re: Screen flickers badly on opening an assembly
          Dan Pihlaja

Question.....how is the assembly being opened (and does it matter if it is opened a different way)?

Options include (but are not limited to):

1) Opening Solidworks, selecting File--> Open....navigating to file and selecting open.

2) With Solidworks open, navigating to file in windows explorer and double clicking

3) With Solidworks closed, navigating to file in windows explorer and double clicking

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Alin,

Is it just one particular Assembly, or does it happen with multiple files?  And to answer your question, no, I don't believe I've ever encountered that situation.

Glenn

Dan Pihlaja

Can you share a video of the experience?  Attached is a video of one of the largest assemblies we have here opening.  I don't think that I am seeing what you are talking about....but there is some screen "flickering" near the end, which is just SW getting toolbars aligned and such.

Alin Vargatu

Thanks Glenn and Dan.

The problem gets solved with a reboot, but will appear again after multiple SW open/close sessions.

I am performing a Large Assembly Service at a customer, where recording the screen is absolutely forbidden. I encountered the problem myself in the past, on multiple computers, but never had the time to document it properly.

Very annoying when having to benchmark performance...

Mathieu Myrand-Bolduc

I am having something that sounds like the same problem on 2017 SP5.  I can't remember if I had it on a lower SP.  I also can't confirm that it Dan's idea that it could be a GDI issue, as I have never noticed if it happened on a fresh boot.  It happens randomly to me too and I haven't found a pattern, but I know that switching to another window while it is flickering stops the flickers.  I spoke with some colleagues and they don't have exactly the same thing, but at least one has parts showing while opening assemblies (he says about 1 in 20 openings will cause this).  It might actually be what is happening to me, parts opening and closing very rapidly. 

As for the system holding memory and parts, that's a given, I don't know how Solidworks manages it's memory, but I can say that it doesn't always close documents when you close one.  At least the API doesn't close files unless you use Close All Docs.