11 Replies Latest reply on May 30, 2018 8:08 AM by Craig Schultz

Location Driven Folder Card

Mac Readhead

Good Afternoon:

I'm trying to have multiple Folder Cards within a folder structure but I’ve come to realize that I cannot save folder cards to specific locations when created by a template in PDM, and I’d like to have a few locations that have unique folder cards available. These folders would contain other pieces of information that’s pushed to the files within. I know of the ability to drive folder card tabs by a variable, which could let me have one master card for the entire directory structure that contains 4-6 tabs for the unique locations and hides the information that is not relevant to the directory. It also allows for easy additions of items needed down the road. What I was hoping to do was create a variable that can change its value based on the directory location, to drive those different folders to appear to have unique folder cards. Is something like this possible? I’m expecting some sort of custom task that would be required to run through the directories, but I’m hoping it can be an automatic feature.

If I’m completely off the rails and there is a better way to do what I’m proposing, I’d like to hear your ideas on how to administrate a feature like this.

I should mention we're currently using PDM 2016, and will be upgrading to 2018 in the near future.

Thanks,

Mac

• Re: Location Driven Folder Card
          Sam Sam

Hi,

If I have correctly understood a question, then the answer - it is necessary to use tabs on the card operated by a variable which value is connected with a folder name.

There are enough examples of it, but if it not so, probably any example is necessary - that needs to be made.

Grant Mattis

I know there are some really smart PDM people out there, hopefully some of them can help us out. Christian Chu Matt Lacroix

Thanks,

Grant

Craig Schultz

I have something set up like this.  There's a variable I have named 00_MainTabs which drives a tab control.  The variable gets populated with a name when the folder is created through a task. 

You could have the 00_MainTabs variable get populated through a folder variable.from the folder that you're creating the new folder in.  You'd just have to go into the upper level folders and add that variable.

You could also create a task where the user sets what "type" of folder it is when creating it.

There are many ways to skin this cat, it's just what fits your workflow the best.

Mac Readhead

Morning Craig:

To further explain my workflow, I'd like to have a user be able to make a new set of project folders from a PDM Template. The root of these templates are always under the same directory containing a multi-tabbed folder card. What I envisioned was this 00_MainTabs variable being a part of the folder card as a read-only(potentially) dropdown, driven by the upper folder. What I am not sure how to do is link the variable to the upper folder's name upon creation with a template. If done through this method, would a task be required to be run in order to assign those variable values?

Thanks!

Craig Schultz

If I'm reading this right, you could have the 00_MainTab populate to your template variables (t_MainTabs) in the template.  Then right mouse click on the folders you are creating in the template, have the template variable populate to the 00_MainTabs variable of the folder when it's created. 

PS - I put the variables I want hidden in the folder card on a "hidden" tab on the folder card.  That way you don't have to deal with controls of individual variables.

Mac Readhead

Hey Craig:

I had completely missed the potential to set multiple template variables as useable strings, so this was becoming far more complicated in my head than it needed to be as I was trying to do it with one. I created multiple Tab variables within the template to contain a string that corresponds with the folder card's tab names. Then, in each folder requiring a unique tab to show, I've changed its properties to set the corresponding template variable to populate the 00_MainTab PDM Variable.

The only additional thing that needs to be done is setting that Edit-box in the hidden tab that contains 00_MainTab to have a default value from the "Folder data card variable" so any instances of folders created in any manner within the directory will have appropriate tabs shown.

I didn't want this process to become a task that was required to be run afterwards. This also allows the administrator to ensure proper fields are shown, and prevent the user from editing fields that are either not required, or irrelevant.

Thanks for your help with this!

Craig Schultz

"I had completely missed the potential to set multiple template variables as useable strings, so this was becoming far more complicated in my head than it needed to be as I was trying to do it with one."

Yep, I have gone down many of the wrong rabbit holes when trying to set up things in PDM. Glad I could help.

Aleksander Ksiezopolski

In my opinion Craig's solution will solve your problem in 100%.

Greg Hertvik

We use multiple folder data cards and not tabs.  Each main directory in the vault has its own unique folder data card (Projects/Library/Standards/etc).  Those data cards are saved in their respective directories.  All sub directories follow that data card, so for example any new project is saved under the Project directory & uses a project data card.  I not sure if you can save data cards further down the directory train, as we do not, but you could try it if need be.  Hope this gives some guidance.

Mac Readhead

Hey Greg:

It is possible to save folder cards at any location within your vault. The lowest folder card will affect the folder it is in, and any further down the chain. This also works for File Cards. When creating a set of folders from a template, you are unable to save Folder/File Cards within the directory, unless you do it manually afterwards with the administration tool. This is why I was looking for this alternative process.

Within a project folder set I wanted to create RFI/Photo etc. folders that would contain relevant information that wouldn't necessarily relate to the rest of the "Project" folders. This lets me search and sort relative information in an easier manner through PDM variables, rather than content in the file.

Sam Sam

If there is a need it is possible to use option: also their cascade group in a context menu is a lot of different templates with different cards.

There it is possible to adjust also variables, and in need of tabs and many other things.

It is possible to forbid the user to create some names of folders without template use (and to start templates as Admin).

If of course such option approaches.