15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2018 9:10 AM by Mart Müllerbeck

ePDM - get latest - crash

Mart Müllerbeck

Hi

I'm having quite the variety of solidworks crashes and since the support is proven to be powerless to help me I would like to get to the root cause.

1.Main crash that is most annoying is ePDM's get latest crash:

Every time when I get latest version through ePDM's plugin in solidworks the solidworks crashes, and yes, the crash report also crashes almost always after this.

2. Solidworks crashes regularly and it's not GDI related since GDI count is far below 7500.

3. Some time Solidworks loads models very slow.

4. From time to time solidworks says that I should disable ePDM add-in regarding instability.

Rx has no errors and everything is green. I'm having about four crashes per day, statistically.

To start from bottom up I thought to verify if i had certified hardware but I couldn't find any list apart from Graphics cards and drivers. Is there such list for motherboards and memories etc, maybe even full computer sets?

Secondly from where should I even start prognosis for problems that may cause such behaviors?

I run SW 2017 x64 SP5 - ePDM client: 17.05.0089 build: 17.5 (B89)

Win 7 Pro x64 - 6.1 build 7601

Computer specs:

GPU - Quadro K600 - Driver 375.63

CPU - i7-4770

Mobo - Intel Corporation, Model DQ87PG, Version AAG74154-403, Chipset Q87

BIOS Version PGQ8710H.86A.0146.2014.0424.1722

RAM - 2x Kingston 99U5471-057.A00LF/1333MHz + 2x Crucial CT102464BA160B.M16/1600MHz (Total 32GB)

LAN - Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-LM

Best regards

• Re: ePDM - get latest - crash
          Aaron Torberg

I have the same issues here, with about 30 people on our system.  We find that the option "always work with latest version" causes more than 7/8 of our problems.  Do you have this option on in the PDM admin tool?  Can you turn it off to see if this helps with your crashing during the get latest operation?

Paul Wyndham

My first thoughts would be that maybe you have network stability issues or your installation is corrupt. Can you try connecting to the network from a different location in the office or maybe try from Wifi or VPN.

If that doesn't make a difference - completely uninstall SolidWorks and PDM and reinstall. Check everything in clear cache then completely remove the local view before you uninstall.

Sam Sam

Hi,

About check of instability of network - I will agree with Paul Wyndman, about reinstallation I think it isn't necessary to hurry.

This situation is well familiar to me, but today I have practically forgotten about it.

I can't give definite answer that needs to be done, but I can list that was done by me.

Perhaps, something from this will be superfluous, but can to someone it will help.

Can do this coincidence, and can and isn't present, but at that time when there were mistakes - too was 2017SP5.

Now 2018sp2. Win7. I can't claim that it has solved a problem.

About failures.

First, except RX there is a sense to look at the Administration PDM log-s (on clients and the server), the SQL Server and Windows log-s.

Secondly - it is necessary to check and adjust antivirus and firewall soft on clients.

Settings of an antivirus and firewall are in general a separate subject - it is desirable to turn off all automatic checks, only what is necessary - manually.

I have all folders and processes connected with Solidworks and PDM and SQL - are added to exceptions.

Also in exceptions all Local views.

All files of *.exe in these folders are ready for start with the rights of the administrator.

In all vaults on tab Safety - the current user is added.

Perhaps it seems to someone superfluous, but of my experience - I do so.

Besides, all Windows applications / processes which are in the PDM context menu - I add to exceptions of an antivirus and start with the rights of the administrator. And of course in exceptions - Explorer.exe.

Now, as for instability of add-n in SolidWorks (it can be Toolbox, PDM, etc.). The first that can be tried is to register the corresponding *.dll - how to register dll - information much - it is possible in a command line, I make easier - it is necessary to open the required *.dll file in SolidWorks.

As a rule, after that there are no problems with add-n (reset perhaps is required).

About slow loading of models - probable causes (from my practice):

- incorrectly adjusted variables - for example - except / instead of Custom Property - Custom Properties;

- nonexistent (remote) vaults on the server and local views on clients (including Registry);

- a problem with work of service of notifications (in vault SQL Server base - in tables in the tables dbo.BroadcastEvent and dbo.DocumentActionInfo - there shouldn't be records);

- problems with Lists (for cards) in Administration PDM (if the SQL lists are used);

- old versions of Aplications in Administration PDM (if updates were carried out);

- nonexistent users in lists of mailing of notifications in WorkFlows;

- problems with SNL Server (to check by means of SOLIDWORKS PDM Connectivity test);

and there is a lot of another (it only what has remembered now)

And still - problems 10 times less if domain users are used.

The network has to work ideally. Problems can be also from SQL Server.

And still, at slow loading and failures - to check setting up the Menu of all users and groups and also control on the Explorer tabs, Addition of files and the Preview. I don't know as at others - at me their resets is frequent.

Mart Müllerbeck

Hey

it's supper that this discussion finally started. I've got some time in the beginning of next week. Meanwhile I made snapshot of pdm logs.

HG4DxK1

Best regards

Mart

Mart Müllerbeck

Hey

I'm back again.

1. "always work with latest version" is turned off.
                      2. I have pinged the SQL and licence machine with 65kbit packets and deviation usually stays below 2ms. If deviation gets over 2ms (no body knows why), then "magic" starts happening. Fortunately this doesn't happen often.
                      3. SQL and SNL servers are same.
                      4. Then I managed to get myself a sa account to SQL server and checked the tables dbo.BroadcastEvent and dbo.DocumentActionInfo, they were clear.
                      5. On the client and the server antivirus is installed and exceptions and ports are set up to firewall. LAN runs on Virtual firewalls. Physical firewall regulates incoming and outgoing internet traffic.
                      6. I registered ePDM add-in
                      7. I turned User Account Control settings off for trial period.

I have to admit that much hasn't changed tho SW seems to run more stable. I have much less PDM errors in my computer.

When point 2 happens then PDM vault starts lagging also. When I double-click folder, then it's entering into folder renaming mode instead.

Our SQL and Licence server has 8GB of RAM max and serves 6-7 engineers daily. Is this enough?

Next I will look into SQL server errors and report back. Work is pouring in and takes most of my focus.

Best regards!

Nadia Shea

A couple of things to try.

I've found third party add-ins to Windows Explorer can conflict with PDM operations, thus crashing Windows Explorer and then PDM by default. There is a nifty Microsoft utiltiy called 'Autoruns' that I like to use.  Under Windows Explorer, I uncheck EVERYTHING except Conisio and PDM.  I've never met a user (yet) that has complained they are missing the RMB functions from other third party apps.  I'm sure they're out there but I haven't met one yet.

Anyhow, this is essentially the modern day efficiency tweak similar to disabling 'startup apps' . It's a nice tool to run to find if another program isn't playing nice with PDM.

Autoruns for Windows - Windows Sysinternals | Microsoft Docs

As for SOLIDWORKS slow to load and crashing, here's another longshot item. Check to see how the machine is connected to network. I recently had a user, even when docked, that his laptop was using the WIFI and not his Ethernet. Somehow, his network card became disabled. Once IT figured that out and get him back to using his stronger connection (ethernet), alot of issues cleared.

I suspect there are multiple causes to the variety of these issues. It'll be challenging to sort them all out in one go and it is VERY hard sometimes to figure out what is related to what. Work on clearing up the systemic issues (issues facing all users) and the machine specific issues will become much easier to sort out.

Joe Butler

I have faced the same issues. Did you get your answer?

Mart Müllerbeck

Not yet. I have to dig little deeper but i'm also realizing that SolidWorks will probably never run as fast with ePDM as without. I Installed little sandbox aside to my personal computer and i'm getting similar problems with smaller scale modeling. Rebuilds give blank white screens while computing. Pdm is not responsive and double-clicks get me to rename folders instead opening. Queries from SQL are slow and hung with solidworks crashing.

At the momend I'm experimenting without ePDM add-in and ePDM is set to work offline. System is more stable and faster while i don't have any database function. Meanwhile i'm reading "sql database size leading slow performance" thread and tinker with server side.

There are no SQL server error logs.

I excluded folders from antivirus.

I have been running couple of days in windows mode where every program has admin rights and.. Same old, same old.

Best regards!

Sam Sam

Even if HDD is used (but not SSD) I wouldn't hurry with conclusions that without PDM work quicker.

It is possible to try off-line, but from it there isn't enough advantage.

It is necessary to look for cause, apparently so far they aren't found.

Probably wouldn't prevent to add memory on SQL Server, but it is hardly the main reason.

According to the description of problems - it is similar to failures of settings of Users or Groups therefore won't prevent to check Settings:

- Adding Files,

- Explorer, (by the way what here settings - Show all files?)

- Viewers,

- Menus (if PDM-Profesional)

Tried to disconnect Windows DEP?

Server rebooted long ago?

Look also S-069274, S-072431.

Will not prevent to check the speed of a network and the passed packets (errors) on Servers.

For various reasons it can will decrease to 100 Mb. For example if on the server the Virtual machine is set. Also the problem can be on a network or at clients.

Also will not prevent - in Windows Task Manager/Processes / (Right Mouse Button on all SW and SQL processes and others) / to Change Properties/Compatibility for all users / - to set - Run withs administrator rights.

Add to each process - the current user and establish full rights (possibly it hasn't been made at the SQL installation)

In the same place it is possible to try to raise a process priority.

Whether to check enough free space for SQL log-s and bakups.

Settings of access rights on Archive Server.

The rights of sa in the SQL settings of bases for each vault.

Will not prevent to restart installation of all packets from the Preregs folder (on Instal packet)

Try to disconnect "To allow index in properties of each disk", turn off unnecessary processes and on all SW and SQL and FlexNet - set restarting in case of failures, check correctness of installation and the SQL Server settings.

It is possible to continue still, but I hope that it not to be necessary.

But still there are other questions:

1. What version of PDM - Standart or Professional? (perhaps I was inattentive, but I haven't found)

2. In PDM logs all errors of linked with SQL Server. It is Server logs? But what in PDM logs of clients.

3. What anti-virus software is established and what modes of protection are used.

4. Toolbox is used in PDM? Time of loading of SolidWorks Add-ins?

5. Computers and SolidWorks are set on the maximum speed?

6. And still there are questions about settings of External references in SolidWorks, the Messages/Errors/Warnings settings and the SolidWorks/Tools/Options/Server settings.

Mart Müllerbeck

Hey

I have to admit that system feels little bit more stable after:

1. Disabled win DEP

2. Changed run priorities for Sw and PDM

2.1 - Changed Run as admin also

3. Overlooked firewall and AntiVirus settings

4. Disabled bunch of unused win services and third-part programs that i didn't use, also cleared up windows right click mouse menus

5. Restarted server and added more memory 16gb Max now

I've pinged network with 36kB packets and im not sure with results.. Packets won't get lost, but ping in running from 1ms to 6ms - 8ms continuously  and sometimes peaks occur up to 100ms. Im using wired connection. It seems that we are having problems with connetction also. Some of our engineers have pings 20ms to 25ms continuously  and sometimes peaks occur up to 200ms and higher - We are addressing this problem with IT support.

SQL sa user has db_owner rights in all databases.

Archive server connection is default SQL sa user

Sam Sam wrote:

According to the description of problems - it is similar to failures of settings of Users or Groups therefore won't prevent to check Settings:

- Adding Files,

- Explorer, (by the way what here settings - Show all files?)

- Viewers,

- Menus (if PDM-Profesional)

Mechanical engineers group:

-Adding files has all necessary file types included,

-Explorer file types to show has radio button menu but non of the three selections are selected. Local file cleanup is selected. miscellaneous sub-menu has all selected. "Checkout files when" has "the edit command is executed" selected.

- we don't have any viewer program connected - entirely empty tab

- I hardly doubt that this tab has been edited

Additional problems:

It seems that our Archive server is running low, only 25GB free space of 500GB our IT' Guy said he will expand disk space.

Sam Sam wrote:

But still there are other questions:

1. What version of PDM - Standart or Professional? (perhaps I was inattentive, but I haven't found)

2. In PDM logs all errors of linked with SQL Server. It is Server logs? But what in PDM logs of clients.

3. What anti-virus software is established and what modes of protection are used.

4. Toolbox is used in PDM? Time of loading of SolidWorks Add-ins?

5. Computers and SolidWorks are set on the maximum speed?

6. And still there are questions about settings of External references in SolidWorks, the Messages/Errors/Warnings settings and the SolidWorks/Tools/Options/Server settings.

1. Sw PDM Build 18.3 (B66), professional Cad Editor and web

2. Main errors are on client side:

2.1 - Error running query in SpDbOdbc State=01000 Msg=[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]ConnectionWrite (send()).      (edmserver.exe)

2.2 - Execute SQL failed. Msg='IDispatch error #103' SQL= Exec GetDocumentDetailsData 515147,9,13558,'bb9cd3f0-4c5d-46df-a102-2653720a035d' (SldWorks.exe)

2.3 - SQL-query failed: Exec Doc_GetList (SldWorks.exe)

2.4 - The following database error has occured: State:08S01,Native:0,Origin:[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server      Driver] Location: Db::mbGetProject() Description:  Communication link failure (Explorer.exe)

3. Eset Endpoint - Maximum protection mode

4. Toolboxes are local

5. What do you mean by this? (Computers and SolidWorks are set on the maximum speed?)

6. No external references are used.

For now Sw runs better on-line rather than off-line and it seems that Sw doesn't crash so often with get latest in big layout assemblies.

We are planning to replace workstations do to lack of performance, maybe this also contributes to SolidWorks stability, we'll see

Sam Sam

....."- we don't have any viewer program connected - entirely empty tab

- I hardly doubt that this tab has been edited" -?

Possibly it is translation problems, or I did not understand something, but the Programs for Viewing tab shall have 2 points:

1): Extensions: *

Path:  ProgramFiles\SOLIDWORKS Corp\SOLIDWORKS PDM\FileViewer.exe "%1%"

2)  Extensions:  sldasm, sldprt, slddrw, eprt, easm, edrw, dwg, dxf, 3dxml, stl, prt, xpr, asm, prtdot, asmdot, drwdot

Path: C:\Program Files\SOLIDWORKS Corp\eDrawings\EModelViewer.exe  "%1%"

Notes: a) - Your Paths can differ from mine.

b) - It is very desirable that at all users these ways were identical.

If at you this tab empty - probably is the main cause of problems.

I apologize if I not so understood something, I decided to answer without having read up up to the end. If still something is I will add later.

.... 3. Eset Endpoint - Maximum protection mode ---!!!!???

I do not even know what to tell. From my experience - it is probably the biggest problem.

I hope that at least in case of installation of SolidWorks and PDM - he was disconnected.

I cannot advise anything, but unfortunately it was necessary to face serious problems when using Kaspersky, Eset and other similar programs more than once - because of complexity of settings.

And without the correct settings from them there is no favor (I apologize - personal opinion).

Probably it is a separate subject - if will be for this time - I try to generalize a personal experience.

.... 4. Toolboxes are local - one more probable cause of problems.

It is very desirable to set up it in PDM. As it is correct to make - information much, but for an exception of additional problems advise to tests this question on test system or in the virtual machine in test vault.

.... What do you mean by this? (Computers and SolidWorks are set on the maximum speed?)

(it is such result of machine translation and absence of time for its adjustment)

Means:

1. The clients systems - turn-off all not necessary Services and Programs, file indexings on disks, settings of the swap file, networks, SSD, etc.

2. The SolidWorks settings (for example - https://www.cati.com/blog/2012/07/maximize-solidworks-performance-white-paper/)

....  Errors on client side:

Open C:\Windows\System32\taskmgr.exe; Processes.

Check that all processes: SolidWorks, PDM, SQL and others are set on start with the rights of the administrator (for all users) and if need increase priority.

.... No external references are used.

If Toolbox will be moved to PDM - perhaps in Administration it will be necessary to set up External references.

About the empty seat on the server - Logs - can have the big sizes - therefore it is necessary to set up, squeeze and check them existence of the empty space - it is important too.

On the server I for all services SQL - set restarting in case of all errors.

By the way, an Windows indexing of contents of disks I disconnect both on clients and on servers (I will not claim that it needs to be done, but I do so).

And some more questions

- if is used WEB - means domain users and an Windows entry are used?

- what WEB browser is used? Whether there are problems of get latest or other problems in WEB PDM?

- Web server (IIS), SQL Server, PDM Server, Archive Server, SNL Server - all on one host? Hardware of the Server correspond to recommendations?

Paul Wyndham

Viewers tab looks something like this:

Installed Viewers:

1. Extensions --> SLDASM,SLDPRT
                                          2. Path --> %ProgramFiles%\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS Explorer\EModelViewer.exe%1%

1. Extension --> SLDDRW
                                          2. Path --> %ProgramFiles%\SolidWorks\SOLIDWORKS Explorer\eDrawings.exe%1%

A different vault has viewers setup like this:

Both of them show the eDrawings preview.

Mart Müllerbeck

Hi, long time no see

Workload has increased to the point where it's hard to try any new stuff in mid project. But some things have changed to better.

Firstly we have replaced one of our workstation with:

MOBO - H370M

CPU - i7-8700

GPU - Quadro P2000

RAM - DDR4 32GB

DRIVE - M.2 intel evo 500GB

WIN10

This machine has run a week now without any single crash. Non! Configuration is totally basic as all others had from start. Odd is that my computer (specs in first post) has no PDM errors in error log but still crashes. New machine has very long list of error but runs fastest in our office with no hiccups.

As with other machines we are still having trouble.

I added these viewer programs to pdm. We didn't have any before.

I made page file smaller and static to force program to use little more ram - This has made a remarkable difference.

I also changed all program instances to run as admin but didn't know UAC had to be set to max and SW didn't start in any computer in our office. Apparently windows runs SW into different admin layer than user is if UAC is not set to max. This is fixed now.

Many thanks from your help but it seems that we have to wait when other new workstations arrive. I have to accept that SW program is exaggeratingly hard to satisfy and that's it.

To answer Sam Sam's questions:

1. Eset Endpoint - Maximum protection mode:

It seems to make no difference if eset is fully disabled or not

2. Toolboxes are local - one more probable cause of problems:

I have moved toolbox into PDM and set to use references. Don't get recognizable change.

"And some more questions"

- if is used WEB - means domain users and an Windows entry are used?

WEB PDM in not used

- Web server (IIS), SQL Server, PDM Server, Archive Server, SNL Server - all on one host? Hardware of the Server correspond to recommendations?

Specs are within recommendations:

4 virtual cores - Xeon E5-2620 v4

16 GB RAM

1TB SSD

Ethernet speed 10Gbit

We have all agreed that solidworks crashes more frequently on same day than other. When this happens then all sorts of anomalies and bugs appear all over the office. On other time SW runs little more stable.

I'm quite certain that "higher forces" are in play here and i'm not sure anymore if there are ways to improve our situation any further. I have to add to all this negative ranting that our situation has improved significantly if compared with from where we started. Yet we would like the situation where our main tool runs even more stable.

Best regards!

Sam Sam

Hi,

I completely agree with Nadia Shea about third party add-ins to Windows Explorer.

But I have a few other method of the solution of this question.

1. All applications which are in context of the menu (RMB) - shall be set up on start with the rights of the administrator.

2. All processes of third-party applications which shall be launched in system are added to exceptions of scanning of an antivirus.

3. - It is better to remove the unnecessary lines RMB of the menu. Autoruns - the good program, permanently I use it, but generally for switch-off unnecessary and deletings nonexistent links.

In any System - often there are errors - which can create many problems. I will not approve anything, but it is better that these errors were not.

For deleting errors I use Reg Organizer. There is a section - Important Registry Parts where it is possible to delete errors.

For switch-off of unnecessary context menu I use AnVir Task Manager - Free tool.

Watch also links:

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2015/10/solidnetwork-license-snl-manager-troubleshooting/

http://blogs.solidworks.com/tech/2017/08/solidnetwork-license-snl-manager-troubleshooting-tips.html

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/218360

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2018/08/new-windows-user-account/

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2015/05/avoid-locking-microsoft-sql-sa-account-video/

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/03/solidworks-pdm-database-error/