7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 11:30 PM by Ryan Beck

Create surface from points

Is it possible to create a surface from sketch points, a table of XYZ locations or an equation?
      Thanks
        • Create surface from points
          Charles Culp
          maybe. what you probably want is the "Scan to 3D" feature that comes with SW Premium.

If it is only a few points, define the boundary with a sketch (maybe a 3d sketch spline), and then you can use the points as a "constraint curve".

how many points? what are you trying to create?
            Robert Stupplebeen
            Programs outside of SW can take an equation convert it into a NURBS surface and then export it as an IGES. Here is one example that requires Matlab http://www.mathworks.com/matla...al/fileexchange/12087. Please put in an enhancement request I already have.
            Rob Stupplebeen
              Charles Culp
              SW 2009 can create curves from equations.

Mahir wrote a macro (that will work in earlier versions) that will even do full surfaces:

http://forum.solidworks.com/fo...catid=11&threadid=6253
                Robert Stupplebeen
                Charles,

Thanks for the link

Mahir Abrahim,

Thanks for the code

I am sure that I will find a use for it. the only reason I can think of to create the surface externally is to improve rebuild times.

Thanks again.

Rob Stupplebeen
                  Robert Stupplebeen
                  I just thought of a way around the performance issue. Export the surface as an IGS and import back in. Since complex geometry you would not be editing a curve through points directly there shouldn't be any loss of functionality assuming the boundary surface is setup the way you want it. Hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen
                    Charles Culp
                    I think you will find that the Solidworks native Parasolid (.x_t) format will give much better results if you want to round-trip export-import a file.

Even better than that, is if you use the Insert>Part tool. It goes something like this:

1. Create ComplexPart.sldprt

2. Create new part file (empty) called ModificationsToComplexPart.sldprt

3. In the empty part, use Import>Part... and reference the "ComplexPart.sldprt". Then it will just bring in the geometry. You get the added benefit that any changes to the original part will be reflected in the second part as well.
                        Ryan Beck
                        If you don't need to have a surface that is parametric, then I recommend the parasolid version - VERY light and fast.

But since you lose some of the foundation parametrics, you have to know that it is firmly designed (no changes) or you have to use it in such a way that changes don't mess with things up or downstream.

I often create a complex part with a "Parasolid", "Assembly Model" or a "Defeatured" configuration for downstream use - preferably after the design is completed. Simply save the part off as described above, suppress the features and "Import Geometry" (a tool button that you can add through the Customize menu)...

I have used the other option Charles mentions with mostly good results too.