11 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2018 5:45 PM by Nelson Lopes

Cylinder with base

Nelson Lopes

I'm still very new to SolidWorks and need some assistance on how to create a part.  I need to create a cylinder that has one end closed (capped).  I am able to create a cylinder by drawing two circles of the correct radius and then doing an extrude to the correct length.  However, this makes a completely hollow cylinder and doesn't leave one end of it solid.  I'd need to leave one end about 2mm thick (solid).  How do I do this when doing an extrude?

The next part is I need to create 2 slits in the cylinder about .5mm wide from the open end down about 10mm.

Here is a picture of what I'm trying to achieve (only this one is slightly larger than what I want to design).

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1675311

Any help and examples would be greatly appreciated!

Kind Regards,

Nelson

• Re: Cylinder with base
          Casey Bergman

I would extrude the hollow section like you have done and then close in one end using another extrude.  There are a lot of ways to model a part like this, you could start by extruding a solid and extrude cut the section out that you want as well.

Dan Pihlaja

I would use the shell command.

See attached video.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

See attached video.

Dan,

I thought of that too, but the OP didn't say the wall thickness was the same as the base thickness. I don't think I've used the Shell command twice in the ten years I've been using SW.   If they're different will Shell still work?

Glenn

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder  wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

See attached video.

Dan,

I thought of that too, but the OP didn't say the wall thickness was the same as the base thickness. I don't think I've used the Shell command twice in the ten years I've been using SW. If they're different will Shell still work?

Glenn

Short answer....yes

Longer answer:  Check out the attached video on multi thickness shell.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

See attached video.

Dan,

I thought of that too, but the OP didn't say the wall thickness was the same as the base thickness. I don't think I've used the Shell command twice in the ten years I've been using SW. If they're different will Shell still work?

Glenn

Short answer....yes

Longer answer: Check out the attached video on multi thickness shell.

Cool.

Steven Billeter

Cylinder.JPG

I used the following steps.

1. Using the extrude command and the sketch of a circle on the top plane and create a solid cylinder of the appropriate length and diameter.
                    2. Use the shell command to create a feature that has a 2mm wall with one end capped.
                    3. Create a sketch on the right plane.
                    4. Make the sketch a rectangle of appropriate length and width.
                    5. Use the extrude cut feature to cut do a through all cut in both directions

Nelson Lopes

Thanks everyone!  @Steven - I followed your steps (also had never used the Shell method or extrude cut) and it turned out great.  @Dan - those videos were also very helpful!  Thank you all very much for your assistance!  I really appreciate it!

Kind Regards,

Nelson

Solid Air

My recommendation for the first part is to use a revolve.  It is only one feature versus two (extrude then shell).  Plus all control (modifying ID, OD, cap thickness, length) is in one sketch. Steven Billeter gave a good example on making the slit.

Steven Billeter

As always there are many ways to model something in SW.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Start on the top plane and center your sketch circles on the origin.

Model a Extrude Boss as solid cylinder (one sketch circle) for the entire height.

On the top face create a sketch of one circle, centered on the origin too, dimensioned for the inner diameter size.

Using this sketch, create an extrude cut and for the end condition, select offset from surface and select the bottom face as that surface. Set the offset amount to 2mm.

This is your hollow tube.

To make the slits:

Select either the front or right plane and start an extrude cut.

For your sketch, draw a center point rectangle.

Create a vertical relation between the origin and the rectangle's center point.

Add dimensions to size and locate the rectangle for the slits.

Save the sketch and in the Extrude cut manager, select through all both.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin