AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sheets w/ texture. Seeking better methods.

Question asked by Scott Leacox on May 24, 2018
Latest reply on May 24, 2018 by Kevin Chandler

My company uses three different textured plates: Expanded metal, Diamond plate, Perforated plate. Currently my plans are to use three different solutions.

For expanded metal, I model it. The parts we use are small and the CPU cost is acceptable. In this case I need to show the diamonds because the parts are cut 6 diamonds wide and bend two diamonds over. That dimension in reality varies a bit. However I have found a good set  of average values for design work. And we only use a single size of this, so I only need one specific case.

For diamond plate, there are textures built into Solid Works, but the forces shaded views in draft that drive the size of PDF drawings up.

For perforated plate, I use a model of the part, but only cut about 10% of the holes at one end of the part to show what kind of metal it is. A balance of CPU vs PDF line work.

I was wondering if any of you have found better solutions for these three cases of textured sheet metal.

My goal is to have 100% line work shown in draft, but not have the CPU cost of %100 modeling. And avoid the file size of shaded view in PDF's.

I don't all three at the same time are possible, but I may not have thought of something that helps this situation out.

In all three cases, the parts have large bend radius corners that the pattern must go around, hatching looks really bad.

Outcomes