1 Reply Latest reply on May 24, 2018 12:55 PM by Kevin Chandler

Block - Linked BOM Item Number from View?

Dave Paul

I would like to have a block that includes the item balloon for the view.  I have tried a number of way with no success.  I know that the view is tied to the BOM row - in some way.  Right now we are inserting the block then adding the balloon (minus the leader).  I'm using SW2013-SP5.

I'd like to insert the block and have the item balloon populate.

Block.PNG

• Re: Block - Linked BOM Item Number from View?
          Kevin Chandler

Dave Paul wrote:

I would like to have a block that includes the item balloon for the view. I have tried a number of way with no success. I know that the view is tied to the BOM row - in some way. Right now we are inserting the block then adding the balloon (minus the leader). I'm using SW2013-SP5.

I'd like to insert the block and have the item balloon populate.

Block.PNG

Hello,

First, the view is linked to (and can be unlinked from) the entire BOM, not just a specific row.

Second, you can change your balloon to split circular and the lower value defaults to quantity (if linked to the correct BOM).

Third, to get the specific part properties, you must select "select component" and then pick the component in the view and then pick the property required.

Once this is done, the specific info is encoded into the note, which can be seen when you hover over it:

When copied (which is a make block, paste block, explode), the copied note still references the first selection.

So an update to the part, affects every copy of the note:

So, unless you always have one part/body per view (& can always use $PRPVIEW), I don't believe your OP method will work.

Plus, I believe you must explode your blocks to get them back to a not,e so you can attach it to the required view.

Cheers,

Kevin