2 Replies Latest reply on May 21, 2018 12:27 PM by Deb Diemetric

Imported assembly includes suppressed parts and groups unrelated parts

Deb Diemetric

I'm working on my first Visualize project. Two problems:

1. I imported a 3D model and it includes parts that are suppressed in Solidworks. Can I stop that from happening?
      2. I click on a part with the part selection tool and multiple individual parts become selected. How is it that Visualize sees these unrelated parts as one part? It appears as though they have been grouped. I tried to "ungroup" them, but all Visualize lets you do is "split parts" which allows you to only select individual surfaces.

Thanks in advance for any help.

(I'm not an engineer. I'm a writer who is trying to create images for publication.)

• Re: Imported assembly includes suppressed parts and groups unrelated parts
          Ron Bates

Hi Deb...

1. Are you sure they were "suppressed" in SW and not just "hidden"?  There is a known limitation that if you import SW model with hidden components using "Appearance" Part Grouping mode, then the hidden components will still be displayed.  If you import using Automatic part grouping mode, then those components should be hidden (Opactiy set to 0%).  Suppressed components should never import so I'm guessing they were hidden in SW, which could result in this behavior.  Again, try importing using Automatic grouping.  (Unfortunately, all your like appearances won't be grouped as a single part, so you'll have a bit more work to assign like appearances... COPY and "Assign Appearance: [copied appearance" will be your friend.)

2. If I understand this correctly, then it is intended.  This won't happen if you import with Automatic mode as described above.  When you import with Appearance grouping, then every SW part/component/face/etc that has a certain appearance, is grouped under a Visualize "part" which contains ALL GEOMETRY with that same appearance.