17 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2018 2:07 PM by Gürman Güneş

Draftsight Activation - Can't connect to server

Steve Mann

Hello,

I'm trying to test the free version of Draftsight 2018 SP2 and I can't get it to activate on our Windows PCs here. It fails to contact the server. I'm guessing it's getting blocked by our web filtering system. Does anyone know the address/IP/URL of the activation site/server? If I can get that info, I can make sure that it's not getting blocked.

• Re: Draftsight Activation - Can't connect to server
          Michael Lord

Steve,

Draftsight Activation on any computer connected via a Server has thrown up many different activation issues.

I can't answer your direct question.

What I do is I always install with Run As Administrator

I also run Draftsight with Run As Administrator.

You may like to this thread as well:

https://forum.solidworks.com/message/282689#comment-282689

John Hrinda

We are having the same issues here.  Everything worked last week, but on Fri I tried to open a file and it asked for Auth.  No problem, but when I fill out the box it just keeps failing to connect to server.  I have tried everything I read online, no fix.

Tom Gagnon

This week and last, I've been commissioning new PC's for our office. Draftsight 2018 SP2 is on each PC. On two out of eleven PC's, I got the, "could not connect to server" error after several tries. I just put a post-it note on the front of the affected PC's, and postponed it for later.

As far as I can tell, particularly from repetition recently, this variation of issue began last Friday, coincidentally on the implementation deadline date for GDPR. Yes, some things are not right. Some things are changing, and what is changing ought to be entirely unseen and likely unknown and not understood by users. We just see things not work, which is not entirely surprising.

The previous activation threads were very useful in the process, particularly adding https://www.3ds.com to Trusted Sites, and Cameroon. A couple of times it required two or three activation emails clicked before it would accept that the email click was successful, despite result website message saying activation was successful.

Aside, it is a pain that Internet Options where Trusted Sites is available is very buried in Windows 10. I've been opening Internet Explorer and accessing the Internet Options dialog box from the settings menu there. IE is now located in Start > Windows Accessories.

I also notice that the entire error message seems to be overlooked, at least in English. The image posted above shows full message in Spanish.

You may notice that the message ends in something like, "Try again later." Do that.

Alex Lachance

We're all in the same boat. I'm struggling to get DraftSight activated on a specific computer. I got the problem a while back and was able to do the activation through a hotspot I made with my cellphone but this time it didn't work.

Gonna try a few solutions I found in this thread:

https://forum.solidworks.com/thread/212412

Alex Lachance

This is what I did to fix the problem.

Start the Regedit program as administrator

Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\Current Version\ProfileList

Identify the ID of the administrator used to install Draftsight and the ID of the user who wants to

use Draftsight.

Example

Admin user : S-1-5-21-4270634972-2877105811-2816753613-1635

Draftsight user : S-1-5-21-4270634972-2877105811-2816753613-18733

Go to HKEY_USERS\< ID of the admin >\SOFTWARE

Rename SWActivation to SWActivation_OLD

Use a cellphone as a hot spot.

Reopen DraftSight

Do the activation like normal

The validation will go through the Cellphone hotspot and then an e-mail will come through.

Click in the link in the e-mail to activate.

Voila!

Gürman Güneş

thank you, this one works for me;

Start the Regedit program as administrator

Go to HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\Current Version\ProfileList

Identify the ID of the administrator used to install Draftsight and the ID of the user who wants to

use Draftsight.

Example

Admin user : S-1-5-21-4270634972-2877105811-2816753613-1635

Draftsight user : S-1-5-21-4270634972-2877105811-2816753613-18733

Go to HKEY_USERS\< ID of the admin >\SOFTWARE

Delete SWActivation .

Make the activation again. Now its working.

Tom Gagnon

I waited. This did not work last week. This did not work on Monday.

Today is Wednesday. It worked. I now do not get the "cannot connect to server" error in the activation process.

The rest of it is buggy as usual, but standing on my head and rubbing my belly while holding out my tongue in the corner of my mouth works acceptably well.

Jackie Yip

I connected the PC to my phones hotspot and it allowed the activation to go through

Leon De Lange

i have the same problem. taken from Activation.log:

07:49:14 Debug: [LINE NO] "124" "06/01/2018" isUserRegisteredEval() begin

07:49:14 Debug: [LINE NO] "131" "06/01/2018" Trying to connect activation server.

07:49:14 Debug: [LINE NO] "132" "06/01/2018" ns1__isUserRegisteredEval() begin

07:49:17 Debug: [LINE NO] "134" "06/01/2018" server response =  0 "Success"

07:49:17 Debug: [LINE NO] "135" "06/01/2018" ns1__isUserRegisteredEval() end

07:49:17 Debug: [LINE NO] "158" "06/01/2018" User is Registered.

07:49:17 Debug: [LINE NO] "199" "06/01/2018" isUserRegisteredEval() end

07:49:23 Debug: [LINE NO] "36" "06/01/2018" Activation() begin

07:49:23 Debug: [LINE NO] "124" "06/01/2018" isUserRegisteredEval() begin

07:49:23 Debug: [LINE NO] "131" "06/01/2018" Trying to connect activation server.

07:49:23 Debug: [LINE NO] "132" "06/01/2018" ns1__isUserRegisteredEval() begin

07:49:24 Debug: [LINE NO] "134" "06/01/2018" server response =  0 "Success"

07:49:24 Debug: [LINE NO] "135" "06/01/2018" ns1__isUserRegisteredEval() end

07:49:24 Debug: [LINE NO] "158" "06/01/2018" User is Registered.

07:49:24 Debug: [LINE NO] "199" "06/01/2018" isUserRegisteredEval() end

07:49:24 Debug: [LINE NO] "39" "06/01/2018" Activation server status:  "Up"

07:49:42 Debug: [LINE NO] "286" "06/01/2018" Trying to connect activation server.

07:49:43 Debug: [LINE NO] "288" "06/01/2018" server response =  500 "fail"

07:49:44 Debug: [LINE NO] "65" "06/01/2018" saveDataAndSendEmail() return value  "OFFLINE"

07:49:44 Debug: [LINE NO] "66" "06/01/2018" saveDataAndSendEmail() return value  "NOT_WORKING"

on occasion it does work but then there is no activation email.

also, the registry fix did not work for me at all.

Richard S.

I am having the same problem for multiple days on multiple computers. You would think that if Solidworks blocks the IPs they can also unblock them. Why would you want to block your customers from using your product anyway???