AnsweredAssumed Answered

Importing (very) Large Assemblies

Question asked by Stephen Mounioloux on May 16, 2018
Latest reply on Jun 1, 2018 by Damir Galic

Hello,

I am a pretty new Visualize user and I am looking for some good tips to help handle the largest scene I will probably ever need to render.

I have a fairly complex chassis enclosure which has been modeled with great details (several electronics board, cooling fans, hardware, etc.) My workstation had no problem with it - exploded view animation - hence the high number of internal parts. I was able to even import a full 48U rack filled with this chassis, without lightening the assembly even though it was only for a few external renders.

The final step however is to model a lot of these racks on a data-center floor. I quickly maxed out nearly 400GB of ram in the process and killed it after it started swapping. I knew it wouldn't have been optimized considering I didn't need any of the internal parts of the chassis. So I made a simplified assembly removed as much as I possibly could, however I am still hitting a wall. I didn't stare at the screen for the 5-6 hours I let it try to import the assembly, I was not swapping (75% memory used).

At this point there is no a whole lot of parts I can strip off the assembly. So being pretty new to Visualize I wanted to ask if there were any trick to import large assemblies?

My assembly structure goes as Enclosure -> Linear Pattern (to fill a rack) -> Linear Pattern (for the first row of racks) -> Mirror for the second Row. I won't be modeling any additional row of racks, just these 2. I am not sure if that makes any difference.

As for the import in visualize itself, I have tried both appearance and automatic.

I haven't re-imported the emptied/simplified enclosure by itself to check the polygon counts, but I estimate a total of a couple hundred millions polygons in the current state of things.

Thanks

Outcomes