11 Replies Latest reply on May 25, 2018 9:06 AM by Dan Pihlaja

make sketch from selected feature

Brian Sanner

I am not knew to creating parts and assemblies, but I am somewhat new to making drawings, at least more than just plopping down my views and hitting print.

I made a sketch that had areas I did not want to show in a drawing and found I could only hide or delete entire sketches, not lines within the sketch. I decided to use the "make a sketch from selected feature" and then turned the selected segments for construction, thinking I was a genius and my new sketch would be well defined and coincident with my construction lines.

It is not. It didn't even keep the relations with the lines. Like if I had a square, I now have 4 independent lines other than sharing corners. What's more, it gets rid of overlapping lines, so if I want to keep two adjacent shapes as selectable contours I have to separate and delete segments, connect the open segment to itself and make them collinear again.

The issue arose because I realized I need to show sections of a part in certain drawings but not others. Is there a quick and dirty way to do this, or do I have to basically trace everything again?

Also, even if deleting individual lines in a drawing is possible, it is not a viable option in this situation.

And what is the point of the "create a sketch from selected" feature if it does not keep relations?

• Re: make sketch from selected feature
          Sarah Dwight

I don't really understand what you are doing, and I haven't ever used "Create sketch from selections", but if you want to make a sketch from a sketch, that is fully defined by the original sketch, then use Convert Entities.

Are you drawing an assembly?

If so, you can RMB the properties in each view to hide certain components... see below.

Dan Pihlaja

Brian Sanner wrote:

The issue arose because I realized I need to show sections of a part in certain drawings but not others. Is there a quick and dirty way to do this, or do I have to basically trace everything again?

Section of a part ....

Hrmm...Can you elaborate?

Are you talking assembly drawing?  If so, you can create configurations at the assembly level and then select the specific configuration for each drawing view as needed.

Are you talking part drawing (like multi body)?  If so, you can select bodies to show in specific drawing views (or alternatively, you can use the same configuration method as the assemblies).

Or you can do as Sarah Dwight has shown and then hide the specific components (or bodies) at the drawing level.  Personally I think it is easier to manage this with configurations at the part/assembly level.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I created a layer and set its line type to phantom.

I picked a line in the view and set it to this layer, but the line type didn't change.

It works for layer color, but not for line type or line thickness.

There may be something else I need to do, but that's as far as I got for now.

Cheers,

Kevin

Brian Sanner

Let me clarify. I am building a fence, but it crosses property lines so the city wants entire blue prints for their architectural review board. Site plan, elevations, section details, etc. Being wily I thought, "I'll draw it up in solidworks and extrude the features I need and get the site plan, elevations, and cross sections all in one!"

Only now my ignorance about creating drawings is coming back to haunt me, because it is nowhere near as simple as I thought. Idk why they have to make the entire drawing behave completely differently than sketching a part. I feel this is a holdover from previous versions and they could probably do away with this side of the program altogether.

I digress.

Long story short, since I am doing other projects that require info about both my neighbors plots I sketched all three in one sketch. I thought I'd be able to select segments of a part to show in the drawing. For the fence, I do not need the plot of the neighbor on the far side. For the garage and driveway, I do not need the plot of the neighbor on the fence side.

I want to split the plots into three separate sketches. I know there are multiple ways I can do this, eg:

1. Selecting the bits I need > cut > new sketch > paste > reassign relations and dimension to other sketch to define
                2. New sketch > painstakingly select each individual segment of every contour I want > convert entities > split segment near each corner of the contours > delete corner segment > extend segment to intersect with the corner > add relations and dimensions to define
                3. New sketch > redraw every shape over the existing lines > convert entities for non contour segments > assign dimensions, etc. > delete original lines

None of the solutions I know would have taken less than several hours. Not to mention reassigning dangling relations between features, etc.

But I had seen the "Create sketch from selected" in passing on many occasions and thought this would be the perfect use for such a feature.

Unfortunately, all it does is basically the first option, only it saves the trouble of manually creating a new sketch and pressing ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

So am I using it wrong? If not, what is the point of the tool? Is there a way to make it create a new sketch from the selection and keep all the internal relations and create relations that will keep the new sketch defined relative to its current sketch?

Thanks. Sorry for the long, slightly bitter posts. I'm not sure of the ethics of posting plans of my neighbor's properties and I don't have the energy to make up an example.

Kevin Chandler

Brian Sanner wrote:

Let me clarify. I am building a fence, but it crosses property lines so the city wants entire blue prints for their architectural review board. Site plan, elevations, section details, etc. Being wily I thought, "I'll draw it up in solidworks and extrude the features I need and get the site plan, elevations, and cross sections all in one!"

Only now my ignorance about creating drawings is coming back to haunt me, because it is nowhere near as simple as I thought. Idk why they have to make the entire drawing behave completely differently than sketching a part. I feel this is a holdover from previous versions and they could probably do away with this side of the program altogether.

I digress.

Long story short, since I am doing other projects that require info about both my neighbors plots I sketched all three in one sketch. I thought I'd be able to select segments of a part to show in the drawing. For the fence, I do not need the plot of the neighbor on the far side. For the garage and driveway, I do not need the plot of the neighbor on the fence side.

I want to split the plots into three separate sketches. I know there are multiple ways I can do this, eg:

1. Selecting the bits I need > cut > new sketch > paste > reassign relations and dimension to other sketch to define
                    2. New sketch > painstakingly select each individual segment of every contour I want > convert entities > split segment near each corner of the contours > delete corner segment > extend segment to intersect with the corner > add relations and dimensions to define
                    3. New sketch > redraw every shape over the existing lines > convert entities for non contour segments > assign dimensions, etc. > delete original lines

None of the solutions I know would have taken less than several hours. Not to mention reassigning dangling relations between features, etc.

But I had seen the "Create sketch from selected" in passing on many occasions and thought this would be the perfect use for such a feature.

Unfortunately, all it does is basically the first option, only it saves the trouble of manually creating a new sketch and pressing ctrl-c and ctrl-v.

So am I using it wrong? If not, what is the point of the tool? Is there a way to make it create a new sketch from the selection and keep all the internal relations and create relations that will keep the new sketch defined relative to its current sketch?

Thanks. Sorry for the long, slightly bitter posts. I'm not sure of the ethics of posting plans of my neighbor's properties and I don't have the energy to make up an example.

I'd suggest DraftSight for this.

Brian Sanner

Kevin Chandler

I started with Autodesk, but realized it would not create the elevations, I would have to draw each individually, or model the entire thing in 3D then make a floorplan from my 3D model. If I was going to have to model in 3D anyway, I might as well use a program I know, so I went to Solidworks. Everything was going swimmingly until I tried to make drawings, which is like using a completely different program for some inexplicable reason, even down to the way the controls behave. Like when you sketch a corner square then deselect it and try to select it by clicking on one of the lines and it only selects individual lines, rather than the entire square.

I'm getting the hang of it, mostly by trial and error, but it is needlessly complicated. Hatching is the bane of my existence. MS Paint bucket tool has been able to select areas simply and intuitively since 1985..... I was expecting to have to ensure all the lines were in the same layer for it to work properly, but you have to have boundaries with intersecting corners that do not meet in a T, which is just dumb. Solidworks has the Trim tool, so the software understands how to deal with T intersections. It makes no sense. It should just be cropped views of your part with fixed orientation and camera angle, and you should be able to create layers to overlay it with different notations needed for prints and schematics.

Dan Pihlaja

I once created a building layout with Solidworks.  The thing that finally worked for me was to literally model in each item and extrude it (make it thin).  Then you can just do a top down view in the drawing.  Solidworks works SO much better when it is used as it was designed to be used.  It is NOT a 2D only Drafting program.   You could then use configurations in that part with multiple bodies to show or hide each body as needed.  OR you can go to the drawing view that you create and use the Select bodies function.

Brian Sanner

Hi Dan,

That's what I've been doing, mostly. I started with a 2D sketch of the layout, like an orthographic top-down view, then modeled the individual components in 3D. House, garage, etc. The problem is, I wanted to easily split my original sketch because I can only hide everything or nothing without editing the original sketch. Since the sketch consists of some 1000 or so segments, selecting each one individually and redoing the relations is a pain.

This post is mainly about the "Make sketch from selected" feature, because I can't figure out what the point of it is, since it does nothing that ctrl-C, click on new sketch, ctrl-V doesn't do, and much easier since you don't have to navigate a bunch of menus to find it. What's the point of the feature if it doesn't keep the internal relations and make new relations to the origin rather than the components that are not selected?

How am I supposed to be using "Make sketch from selected" to make it worth using?

Dan Pihlaja

Basically, as I understand it, create sketch from selected is kind of like a shortcut.  Select the items that you want, click create sketch from selected and it will automatically create a sketch and drop the items into the new sketch.   Might save you a couple of clicks.

However, I would still go back to your model and create each item as a separate body (which you can do, even if there is only 1 sketch via the selection manager).  That way you can easily show the different bodies in whatever view you want.

Brian Sanner

Yeah, but if you use create sketch from selection it does not copy any of the relations. So instead of a square being 4 lines of equal length perpendicular to each other, they're 4 lines joined at the corner and the lines aren't related at all. So how does that save any time or clicks?

Dan Pihlaja

I don't know.....I don't really use it at all.   Honestly, I would just convert entities. 

Regarding your earlier post that said, "The problem is, I wanted to easily split my original sketch because I can only hide everything or nothing without editing the original sketch.":

Would you mind sharing the part?  I think that I know what you want to do, and I would love to show you how it can be done.