6 Replies Latest reply on May 17, 2018 8:31 AM by Kevin Chandler

Sketch on a Sheet Metal Curved Surface

Jim Panfil

Hi guys! I am trying to get a sketch on the outside surface of this bucket. The purpose of the sketch is so our burn table can etch on the surface to provide the location for items to be welded after it is rolled. I need the sketch to show up in the flat as well as the folded state to make sure the items align with the sketch. I can flatten the part and sketch there, but the sketch is suppressed when I go to the folded state. How can I get the same sketch (not a feature) to show up in the flat and folded state? I've attached a picture.

can.JPG

• Re: Sketch on a Sheet Metal Curved Surface
          Benjamin Modic

Jim,

It is possible to display sketch or curve entities when you use the Surface Flatten feature. The PropertyManager includes the 'Additional Entities' option which allows you to add entities to display on a flattened surface. This is useful on complex sheet metal faces or geometry that might not be flat. This is a feature only available in SOLIDWORKS Premium.

You can then export these sketches to a DXF file...

Normally, when you sketch on a sheet metal face, the software creates a ‘Transformed’ folder under the flat pattern feature. These sketches will only appear when you unsuppress the flat pattern feature. While the flat pattern feature is suppressed, the sketch that you create in the folded body is visible by default. When you unsuppress the flat pattern feature, sketches that you create in the folded state are hidden and the transformed sketches become visible.

You can then export these sketches when saving a DXF of the sheet metal body...

~Ben

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

How about using split line (projection) using the outline of the parts to be welded.

I haven't tested this yet to see if these split lines will survive an unfold/flatten.

Cheers,

Kevin

Kevin Chandler

1-1DYSJLK wrote:

Hello,

How about using split line (projection) using the outline of the parts to be welded.

I haven't tested this yet to see if these split lines will survive an unfold/flatten.

Cheers,

Kevin

This doesn't work, the split lines remain in "space" when flattened.

I also tried an extrude cut to an offset surface (offset surface created 0.005" into the metal) for a shallow cut (sketch created from converted mating part faces).

But these cut lines didn't show when flattened, but it could be I goofed up the model while experimenting.

Cheers,

Kevin