6 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 5:52 PM by Lag A.

Sliding a part trough a cylindrical face

Lag A.

Hello guys,

I'm having trouble figuring out a mate that allows movement like show in the next image. The idea is that the central post of the umbrella pushes down into the “valley” formed by the cuts in the four sides.  When it engages them, their tops move apart, but their bottoms are constrained by the lower cap. In effect, they tilt outwards from one another.

Example.png

I though i could crate a tangent mate between the bottom cylindrical face of one 4 part and the cylindrical face of the base, but Solidworks doesn't allow that mate. I also tried creating a path for the bottom face to move about, but can't get it to work the way i need it. Any ideas i can try?

P.S. Attached the file so you guys can check it out, i'm working on Solidworks 2017.

• Re: Sliding a part trough a cylindrical face
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

If I understand correctly...

1. Center your umbrella above the flares
          2. Create a sketch on the bottom of the umbrella and project this sketch to the flares making a split line.
          3. Hide the sketch
          4. [Coincident] Mate the umbrella OD to one of the split lines.

Something like that.

That's the gist, no time at the moment for a model, but that'd be my plan of attack.

Cheers,

Kevin

Dan Pihlaja

Try this (see attached SW 2017 assembly and video).

Technically, you could add in some curve to this line here to get a more realistic "approach".  But the idea is sound.

So here is what I did:

1) edited the revolve or your part2.7 to put the sketch from the revolve in the middle of the part rather than at one end.

2) Used the arcs from the sketch that made the revolve in part 2.7 and the arc from the revolve in your base part and made them coincident (since they were the same radius, this was convenient).  If they weren't the same radius, this would have been a little trickier.

3) Added a limit angle relationship between the bottom line from the sketch in part2.7 to the top of the sketch line in your base plate.   I made it range from .001 degrees (you get problems of it reversing sometimes if you let it hit 0) and 45 degrees.  (this angel can be tweaked....but 45 degrees looked good to stop at interfering with the slope on the outside of your base plate.

4) edited your part2.7 and added a sketch to the side of the part (which is where the dome will make contact) and converted entities on the edge, then added a 50mm line to the top (line 3).  You could have made this some sort of curves line to better simulate an approach....but I ran out of time. (I added a 2nd one on the other side, but it turned out it wasn't needed at all).

5) Then exited the sketch and created a 3D sketch and used fit spline to fit to the sketch I just created.

6) added another dummy part that is just a point in space. (part3.4)

7) Mated the origin of the dummy part to the fit spline, then mate the origin of the dummy part to the edge of the dome.  For this to work, I also fixed the base plate in space and then mated one of the planes on the dome to be parallel to the main planes (so that it wouldn't spin).

Hide all the sketches and Done.

Edit: Added a 2nd video....shows it better,

Paul Salvador

Lag,.. Kevin and Dan already have great ideas... I'll throw what I have into your pile as well...

sply.png

Lag A.

Wow guys you are awesome, Dan's solutions is working perfectly. I would have never though of it by myself, shows i still have a lot to learn.

Thanks all for the quick responses!