9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 8:52 AM by Danny Edwards

Renaming Configurations and Design Tables

Jason Warnke

I have created a custom fastener library for my company.   Each part file contains multiple configs (for fastener lengths), driven by a design table.

I have noticed with design tables that if you change the configuration name in the table it will add it to the configuration tree and remove the option to select whatever it was previously named (unless that was the active configuration, in which case it keeps a copy in the config tree).  On the other hand, if you do not activate the table and just rename the configuration in the design tree, it does not update the design table.

Is there a way to tie the two together?  So instead of 'deleting' a config by changing it in the design table, SW sees it as renaming an existing config?

The reason I want to do this:

I want my config names to reflect a part numbering system we have here, so I want to be able to add that part number into the config name by actually renaming the config; we will be able to start using the fasteners immediately in the company and bit by bit, we can build up our company number list - renaming the related configs without breaking the link in any related assembly models (if I were to just replace them via the design table it would force users to go back into related assemblies to relink related fasteners once they've been 'renamed', or replaced rather).  I can change the config name in the design tree, and it will update/populate the auto-bom to reflect the config name I change it to, but the moment I go to edit the design table and close it out, it adds a copy of that config (without the added number).  It is driven by the table; but I want the table and I guess I am wanting the config name and table name to be tied both ways; I don't want a 'one way street' of sorts where the table completely drives the config name.

Anyone have any idea on how to do this?  (is there even a way <: ]??)

• Re: Renaming Configurations and Design Tables
          Thomas Voetmann

If you dont have formulas, comments or other "foreign" elements in your design table, a workaround could be to delete the table all together. Then rename in the config tree and recreate the table using auto-create.

Solid Air

Besides the way Thomas mentioned, there is no direct way to do what you ask.  There are indirect ways to do this however, my recommendation is not to include part numbers or vendor part numbers in configuration names.  From experience they are subject to change and make a even bigger mess when they do.  Instead include the part number in the configuration's description property and turn it on so it can be seen in the tree.  That works for us but maybe not for you.

Jason Warnke

I am leaning toward just removing the design tables then (they've already served their purpose).

Supposing we do have a number change - would renaming the configuration from the design tree cause any issues though?   Ive done this in the past and it has always recognized the name change with a little prompt of some sort when windowing back to a related assembly (although, come to think of it I usually have the assembly open at the same time - maybe it is an issue if you rename and save without related asm open?).

Justin Gatenby

In SolidWorks 2018 you can open the design table and rename the configuration in both the design table and the tree at the same time. This seems to fool it to where it doesn't delete and make a new configuration, barring any typos you have when doing it. This change still went over into a higher up assembly correctly BUT I wasn't using a formula to pick the configuration on that particular part.

It can be time consuming if you're doing a lot of parts so I still agree with leaving part numbers out of the configuration name, but this is an option if you need to change a configuration name as well.

Same principle also works with features, sketches, and dimensions, but if I remember those correctly they change automatically if you rename them in the model with the DT open.

Danny Edwards

This is just me. We use configurations for our fasteners but we give it a generic part number.

The part number will be PHPMS-250-2000-CLR. The description would be Pan Head Pozi Machine Screw 1/4-20 x 2.00 long clear zinc.

This way they can order from any vendor/supplier. The only time a use a vendor number if it is special to the assembly.