4 Replies Latest reply on May 15, 2018 9:07 AM by Bjorn Hulman

Uneditable duplicate of editable title block note

Liam Elliott

Hi,  I'm relatively new to Solidworks and trying to put togther some drawing templates and borders etc, I'm most of the way there, but there is one issue I can't seem to solve.  Our company title block has the drawing No in top left and bottom right corners, I want to put a title block note in the bottom right that can be edited from the normal drawing view/edit screen, with a duplicate note in the sheet template on the top left which can't be directly edited but automatically updates to the one in the bottom right.  I want to link or slave it to the editable one bottom right, but i can't see a way of doing that other than tying it to a custom property, but then as far as i know, you can only have 1 drawing No per drawing file without multiple property entries ?  Perhaps someone could offer some experienced wisdom on this ?

Cheers.

• Re: Uneditable duplicate of editable title block note
          Bjorn Hulman

Hi Liam,

I'd be inclined to link both to a custom property, either in the drawing file, or linked directly to the part/assembly. Personally I'd link it directly to the 3D.

I would also recomend you use the custom property tab to add this information into the drawing or 3D custom properties to streamline your workflow.

https://www.javelin-tech.com/blog/2017/04/solidworks-custom-property-tab-builder/

PS,

If you want to do multi-page drawings with each page identified by the part number of the part on it, link the part number text on the sheet to $PRPSHEET:"Part Number" and ensure this that in the document properties> drawing sheets that 'Use custom property from this sheet on all sheets' is unchecked.

Then each sheet will use the part number of the model of the first view you drop on it.

Liam Elliott

Yeah that is what I have done for most of the items on the title block.  Problem is we often have large assemblies, and required multiple drawings of the same assembly from different angles, and sections through etc.  These have always had sequential drawing numbers associated with them.  So for the above method to work, I would need to know how many drawing numbers I require and have them all as individual custom properties in the original model, and then through the drawing templates, and them have to edit each drawing No to be the correct custom property for each individual drawing anyway.

Bear in mind virtually everything we make is bespoke, and therefore there are few consistent drawing layouts required between all projects, and then this becomes more work than a simple template.

Is there a way to make one note simple regurgitate the contents of another ? 

Bjorn Hulman

Hi Liam,

Are the sequential numbers for the multiple drawings utilising the part number at all? If the part number were a constant, then you can assign that at part/assem level. In the drawing create a custom property such as sequence Number. then you could have the Part number field on the drawing link $PRPSHEET:"Part Number $PRP:"Sequence Number"

The other way is to use the custom property tab as per the link I sent earlier, then you can add the data you like once in the property tab and link it where ever you like. In the custom property tab builder you could use lists and link them to an excel file so you can simply choose from a drop-down list. I suggest the excel file option because I find it easier to update regularly, there are other options within the list function.

Bjorn Hulman

PS,

by putting the data such as part number, description so in at the part/assembly level, you get to use that data in BOMs etc also. If you enter it in at drawing level, it's at drawing level only.