In wPDM, when I check in non-SW files such as AutoCAd or MS files to the Vault, I can link them to SW files
How this can be done in PDM standard?
Hi Jake you are trying to reference a file to itself, hence the Cyclic reference error.
Here's what you need to do. I assume you're trying to link the PDF to a SolidWorks file (part, assembly or drawing).
1. Check out the SolidWorks file you want to link the PDF to.
2. Right-click on the PDF file, click Copy
3. Right-click on the SolidWorks file, click Paste as reference
4. Click OK on the dialog box that comes up
5. Check the files in
6. You'll see a parent->child reference has been added (The SolidWorks file is the parent, and the PDF file is the child) So if you click on the SolidWorks file, and click Contains, you'll see the PDF file. Vice versa, if you click on the PDF file, and click Where Used, you'll see the SolidWorks file listed.
Hope this helps.
In PDM Professional you would use Paste As Reference function. Not sure if this is available in PDM Standard.
Here are all options I can see from checkin dialog box
It won't show up there. Check out a file, right click and see if you have Paste As Reference enabled in the context menu.
I might be wrong (I've taken away that ability due to the confusion.....) but if you RMB --> copy, then you can RMB on the file you want it attached to --> Paste as reference.
You're correct, Craig. The option is grey out. I need to copy first, the RMB again to enable the paste as ref
Sorry for being a newbie, I don't see how to add ref from the dialog box
(Edit: Prasad Bhonsule beat me to it, so here are pictures to accompany what he said )
Here i paste as reference a PDF into a drawing and you see the new indented row added beneath. I can even adjust quantity.
I click OK and when i check in the drawing, this is what i get:
And in BOM view:
Thank you all for your help
Retrieving data ...