41 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2018 6:08 PM by Shane Sparks

Hide and Unhide

Maha Nadarasa

If there is a long FM design tree. Suppose I have hidden certain parts to work on other parts. As tree is long, it is difficult to search and unhid the parts which I hid. Is there any tool to make all parts hid before, to make visible again in a go?

• Re: Hide and Unhide
          Tom Gagnon

Select the top entity, I assume the primary assembly in this case, and select Show. I believe that I added Show/Hide icon to the context icon menu in assemblies in my UI, but it is often redundant as either Show or Hide can be shown in RMB menu along with the icon that I added.

If you wanted to repeatedly hide and show the same subset of components, you can create Selection Sets for each grouping.

One way that I handle this without Selection Sets is a logical folder grouping in which components are placed. Selecting the folder allows me to show/hide what's in the folder.

*If you have subassemblies in an assembly,* I strongly suggest that you do not shift-click to select components in the tree to hide, as they will have to be similarly selected to show them again. Just showing the selected subassembly or its parent folder will not show the subassembly's components. I.e., the show/hide status can perpetuate to subassemblies if shift-clicked in FM tree or if window-selected in viewport. Hiding the subassembly itself is preferable unless you need to hide some of it and not the rest of it.

Alin Vargatu

In addition to what Tom recommended, try:

1. CTRL+SHIFT+TAB

or

2. RMB and select Show Hidden Components

or

3. From the Dropdown next to the Select icon, use Select Hidden Components

I am a big fan of selection sets, BTW.

Tom Gagnon

Neither CTRL+SHIFT+TAB nor SHIFT+TAB do anything in my assembly that I can tell. C+S+T does make screen flicker like it's doing something for a moment, but it doesn't change display of components.

Is this an option which I have disabled, or is there additional context to file type, items selected, mouse position, or how I'm biting my tongue in order to make this keystroke work?

Steve Calvert

Tom, you have to be over a component for that combination to work and this is why I'll TAB to remove but select the Show Hidden Components button going the other direction.

Steve C

Alin Vargatu

Tom Gagnon wrote:

Neither CTRL+SHIFT+TAB nor SHIFT+TAB do anything in my assembly that I can tell. C+S+T does make screen flicker like it's doing something for a moment, but it doesn't change display of components.

Is this an option which I have disabled, or is there additional context to file type, items selected, mouse position, or how I'm biting my tongue in order to make this keystroke work?

Hold down Carl+Shift+Tab when selecting components.

Solid Air

My recommendation is to use display states

Maha Nadarasa

What do you mean?

Solid Air

You create a display where all your parts are shown.  Then create a display state where only the parts you are working on are shown.  When done, you switch back to the display states are all shown.  You must have run across some youtube videos on display states when you were learning about SolidWorks the last couple years?  You can also use configurations but that gets messy in my opinion.  You can use them in drawings too.  Much easier to create a display state then it is to hide and show parts in a drawing.  There are several ways to create a display state.  One is to go to the configuration tab and right click on the default display state and select Add Display State.

Swapnil Dhake

If you want to unhide all the parts in assembly at once, right click on top level assembly and select "Show with dependents"

Dave Bear

Hi Maha,

Just as a side note about long FM trees. You can massively limit this by using folders.

Dave.

Glenn Schroeder

Dave Bear wrote:

Hi Maha,

Just as a side note about long FM trees. You can massively limit this by using folders.

Dave.

You can do that, and I have often in the past, but have kind of gotten away from it.  I find it troublesome that clicking on the surface of a Part in the graphics area doesn't highlight the component in the tree if it's in a folder, even if the folder is expanded to show the contents.

Dave Bear

Hi Glenn,

I agree with your sentiment about clicking on the surface of a part and it not highlighting if it is within a folder (a pita), but if my folder is by chance expanded, it will indeed highlight....

SW2016 SP3

Dave.

Glenn Schroeder

Dave Bear wrote:

Hi Glenn,

I agree with your sentiment about clicking on the surface of a part and it not highlighting if it is within a folder (a pita), but if my folder is by chance expanded, it will indeed highlight....

SW2016 SP3

Dave.

Maybe for components in folders above the Mate folder, but add Linear Component patterns to a folder and then try it.

Dave Bear

Maybe for components in folders above the Mate folder, but add Linear Component patterns to a folder and then try it.

Okay, you're obviously talking in the context of an assembly also whereas I was mentioning it at part level.....

Dave.

Tom Gagnon

I understand design implementation varies widely, so if your pattern(s) is a driving and variable entity, this won't work so well.

I dissolve some patterns when they are not driving, but a resultant detail. Example, flange studs and nuts patterned for hardware count. I dissolve the pattern, fix them in place, and drop them into the (area/purpose)_HW folder. This is a very easy pattern to reproduce & dissolve again, if the flanges do happen to move or resize.

If, however, the pattern is driving and/or dynamic, you're right; it's a 2nd selection to hide/show w/o using isolate. I wish there was an option to select that can control display properties of Instances through inheritance of seed components. That'd be really nice.

Shane Sparks

This works well for me too Dave (the folders), then one can control with the folder level too.

Dan Pihlaja

Have you ever used the isolate tool?

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Isolate

Maha Nadarasa

I can remember long time ago I used in a assembly file.

James Harvey

Isolate is very handy for me because it is temporary. When you "Exit Isolate" your model returns to it's previous state of display.

Sometimes in my assembly workflow I will select a few components that I don't want to see, RMB & select 'Invert Selection', then RMB again and select 'Isolate' (Invert Selection only shows when you select from the tree, and only in an assembly). This allows me to hide any view obstructing components/sub-components regardless of their level in the assembly hierarchy. An example of this would be for creating assembly mates to components that are on the inside of an enclosure.

The advantage is that I can hide or show any components or sub-components and it is temporary. When I am done I 'Exit Isolate' and the model returns to the display state prior to 'Isolate'. I never have to go hunting for things that are accidentally left in the wrong hide/show state.

Dan Pihlaja

James Harvey wrote:

Isolate is very handy for me because it is temporary. When you "Exit Isolate" your model returns to it's previous state of display.

Sometimes in my assembly workflow I will select a few components that I don't want to see, RMB & select 'Invert Selection', then RMB again and select 'Isolate' (Invert Selection only shows when you select from the tree, and only in an assembly). This allows me to hide any view obstructing components/sub-components regardless of their level in the assembly hierarchy. An example of this would be for creating assembly mates to components that are on the inside of an enclosure.

The advantage is that I can hide or show any components or sub-components and it is temporary. When I am done I 'Exit Isolate' and the model returns to the display state prior to 'Isolate'. I never have to go hunting for things that are accidentally left in the wrong hide/show state.

Agreed!

Another cool thing about the isolate tool is that you can select a mate and RMB and hit "Isolate" and it will isolate all the components involved in that mate.

Steve Calvert

I just use the 'show hidden components' feature.

Steve C

Paul Risley

I use the graphics area, since I usually know where my parts were hidden and just hover in their area shift tab and they are shown again. Working on bigger assemblies using ctrl+shift+tab will unhide everything which is usually not an outcome I am looking for.

I believe Alin Vargatu mentioned that one earlier.

Alin Vargatu

Paul Risley wrote:

I use the graphics area, since I usually know where my parts were hidden and just hover in their area shift tab and they are shown again. Working on bigger assemblies using ctrl+shift+tab will unhide everything which is usually not an outcome I am looking for.

I believe Alin Vargatu mentioned that one earlier.

It will no unhide everything. It will show the hidden components temporarily as transparent blue as long as you hold the three keys down. Select the components that you want to show.

Husein Delic

I had that problem always too. On top bar you have a mouse cursor and drop down arrow. Go to advanced selection and make a custom selection for parts. Just use document name and that it should contain  .sldprt and save it for future use.

Second way is to expand on the feature manager the top right side arrow. There you can easily see which part is hidden and un-hide it.

Husein Delic

This is what I mean!

Sketch.png