6 Replies Latest reply on May 14, 2018 6:15 PM by Solid Air

linking item numbers in notes

David Clifton

I have seen this mentioned on here about linking a note to an item number balloon but when we do that the note then takes on the border setting and the qty setting of the balloon and it seemingly cannot be changed to remove the border and qty.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Seems like this would be a feature of solidworks.

• Re: linking item numbers in notes
          Solid Air

What version of solidworks, what type of bill of materials are the balloons created from and please post screen shots to better clarify your question.  My answer is dependent on this criteria.

Deepak Gupta

For similar kind of requirements in the past, I would add a balloon and group it with the notes

Jim Sculley

Try this:

1. Add an additional balloon with the style you want
              2. Set it to have no leader
              3. Move it outside the drawing border
              4. When you want to include it in your note, select this balloon as opposed to the regular balloon.
                  Glenn Schroeder

Jim Sculley wrote:

Try this:

4. When you want to include it in your note, select this balloon as opposed to the regular balloon.

Jim,

I hope you don't mind, but...

5.  After linking them, move the extra balloon into a Layer that's turned off (if you do this you can skip #3 above).

Jim Sculley

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Jim Sculley wrote:

Try this:

Jim,

I hope you don't mind, but...

5. After linking them, move the extra balloon into a Layer that's turned off (if you do this you can skip #3 above).

I don't use layers.  If it is outside the border it doesn't print but is still available if you need to link it somewhere else.  I have drawings with tables where multiple columns need to reference the same note, so I prefer to have it handy.

Solid Air

Glenn,

I hope you do not mind (or take this the wrong way).

If you are the only person using these drawings, then your method is acceptable.  We have a hundred users that many would not look for balloons on hidden layers.  I actually advise our users to take it a step further than Jim.  Put a view outside the border and create the balloons here, leaving them without a leader (and balloon) near the part they are associated with.  I also advise adding a note in this view informing other users what is for.  However, it the note is in a view that I can create a balloon in, I use the method described by Deepak.