22 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2018 12:17 PM by Dan Pihlaja

Offset Entities Bug?

Glenn Schroeder

I'm getting some funny behavior when using the sketch tool "Offset Entities".  I select the tool, enter the value, and check the box for "Reverse"...

Now for the weird part.  If, instead of clicking on the green check mark (in the Property Manager or in the right-click menu), I just left click in the graphics area, the operation is complete and the Property Manager is closed, but the direction is back to the original as if I hadn't chosen "Reverse".

This is in a .sldlfp file, but I'm getting the same behavior in Part files, and yes, I've rebooted.  Would someone else see if you can duplicate this before I submit it to my VAR as a bug in case it's one of those little tricks that SW reserves for me because I'm special?

• Re: Convert Entities Bug?
          Dan Pihlaja

OK, here is the behavior (and I believe that this is intended behavior):

If I select Offset Entities and then select the interior of the shape in the graphics area, then it offsets inward, no matter the selected direction in the feature manager.

If I select Offset Entities and then select the exterior of the shape in the graphics area, then it offsets outward, no matter the selected direction in the feature manager.

Dan Pihlaja

Yeah, by the way, I discovered this in trying to replicate your issue.  LOL,  So you are not alone!

Matt Peneguy

I'm kinda busy right now.  But, I believe Dan is absolutely correct about this.  Seems like they should give you a fly-out check mark by your cursor, because I can see why this may not be clear.

Glenn Schroeder

Matt Peneguy wrote:

I'm kinda busy right now. But, I believe Dan is absolutely correct about this. Seems like they should give you a fly-out check mark by your cursor, because I can see why this may not be clear.

There is a check mark in the right-click menu, and it works fine.  The issue I'm having is that you can also just left-click in the graphics area to accept the feature and close it.  It's when you do that instead of clicking on a check mark that the "Reverse" is negated.

Deepak Gupta

For me this is correct behavior and SW gives you various option to place the offset.

1. Left click

2. Right click menu

3. From the property manager, so that you do not need to move your cursor away

Glenn Schroeder

Deepak Gupta wrote:

For me this is correct behavior and SW gives you various option to place the offset.

1. Left click

2. Right click menu

3. From the property manager, so that you do not need to move your cursor away

Deepak,

With all respect, I don't see how it can be correct behavior to get different behavior just because you finish the feature by left-clicking in the graphics area instead of clicking on the green check mark.  Did I fail to make it clear that the direction of the offset changes from what's shown in the preview if I left-click in the graphics area, but doesn't change if I click on a check mark?

Glenn

Dan Pihlaja

It depends on where you click Glenn.   If you click in the graphics area, then Solidworks is reading that as an override of the feature manager.  Basically, it allows you to type in a quick number and click either one side or the other without having to move your mouse over to the feature manager.

Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

It depends on where you click Glenn. If you click in the graphics area, then Solidworks is reading that as an override of the feature manager. Basically, it allows you to type in a quick number and click either one side or the other without having to move your mouse over to the feature manager.

Okay.  I can accept that it's intended behavior.  I'm not sure I agree that it should be intended behavior, but I'm reminded that my wife often says "It's not all about you, dear."  Besides, it would be pretty hypocritical to criticize other people here who complain that the software doesn't behave like they think it should if I do the same thing.

Tony Tieuli

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

It depends on where you click Glenn. If you click in the graphics area, then Solidworks is reading that as an override of the feature manager. Basically, it allows you to type in a quick number and click either one side or the other without having to move your mouse over to the feature manager.

Okay. I can accept that it's intended behavior. I'm not sure I agree that it should be intended behavior, but I'm reminded that my wife often says "It's not all about you, dear." Besides, it would be pretty hypocritical to criticize other people here who complain that the software doesn't behave like they think it should if I do the same thing.

Again, this is why I love these forums. I agree that it's intended behavior but it's intended behavior I never knew about. I didn't know that you can complete the operation by left clicking in the graphics area. I've always used the feature manager or a mouse gesture to complete the operation.

Alex Lachance

It is intended behavior indeed, I've often used it this way to save a click.

• Re: Offset Entities Bug?
                                Glenn Schroeder

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

OK, here is the behavior (and I believe that this is intended behavior):

If I select Offset Entities and then select the interior of the shape in the graphics area, then it offsets inward, no matter the selected direction in the feature manager.

If I select Offset Entities and then select the exterior of the shape in the graphics area, then it offsets outward, no matter the selected direction in the feature manager.

...and that was the right answer, right in front of me.  Somehow my reading comprehension isn't up to my usual standards today (or it's never been where I thought).  In any case, thanks to everyone that replied.

Dan Pihlaja

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Somehow my reading comprehension isn't up to my usual standards today (or it's never been where I thought). In any case, thanks to everyone that replied.

Well, in your defense, I did originally post that I was seeing the same behavior.  Then I started playing with it and discovered the inside/outside click thing.    Then I deleted my original response.  

Deepak Gupta

This is not bug but expected behavior. I can not confirm right now (SW not accessible) this but offset direction would change based on where you left click in the graphics area (inside or outside)

Jim Sculley

It's a feature.  If you move your mouse from one side to the other of the offset entities, you will see a small yellow arrow flipping back and forth indicating the direction of offset.  No need to move to the property manager and select 'Reverse'.

Maha Nadarasa

I agree with Dan Pihlaja & Deepak Gupta.

It is happening to me as well. I think it is more logic because form the sketch only it is correct to decide reverse or not.

Glenn Schroeder

First of all, I said "Convert Entities", both in the Discussion title and in the text.  I've corrected that, and I apologize for whatever confusion it may have caused.  Now, I submitted this in an email to my VAR (GoEngineer), and got a reply back with the attached video.  It turns out what I was seeing was intended behavior.  I was overlooking the little arrow (and didn't understand the significance), so now that I understand that I can keep closing the command by left-clicking.  I just need to pay attention to where my cursor is when I left-click.

I think I've mentioned here before that for about the first 6-7 years here we were with MLC Cad, and I was always very pleased with their service, so I was apprehensive about the switch to GoEngineer about 3 years ago.  However, I've been just as happy with them, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend both of them.

Matt Peneguy

Glenn,

Just out of curiosity, why did y'all switch to GoEngineer?

Glenn Schroeder

Matt Peneguy wrote:

Glenn,

Just out of curiosity, why did y'all switch to GoEngineer?

It was mostly just a matter of consolidating, since GoEngineer is the VAR for TAMU, providing all the educational licenses, and we're a division of the A&M University System.  MLC Cad didn't do anything wrong.

Tony Tieuli

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

First of all, I said "Convert Entities", both in the Discussion title and in the text. I've corrected that, and I apologize for whatever confusion it may have caused. Now, I submitted this in an email to my VAR (GoEngineer), and got a reply back with the attached video. It turns out what I was seeing was intended behavior. I was overlooking the little arrow (and didn't understand the significance), so now that I understand that I can keep closing the command by left-clicking. I just need to pay attention to where my cursor is when I left-click.

I think I've mentioned here before that for about the first 6-7 years here we were with MLC Cad, and I was always very pleased with their service, so I was apprehensive about the switch to GoEngineer about 3 years ago. However, I've been just as happy with them, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend both of them.

It didn't bother me when I saw "Convert Entities". It was obvious what the discussion was about.

When I came back to it and saw "Offset Entities" I started to doubt my sanity. Did I really see "Convert Entities" earlier? Am I that far gone?

I'm glad you cleared it up with the post above.