65 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2018 3:04 PM by Glenn Schroeder

Just pissed !

Reno Simpson

About 8 years of SolidWorks and I still can figure out how to do something that should take 3 sec.    And it's not me, I've been doing this crap since 'IronCAD' and a half a dozen other programs...  When are you programmers going to make this intuitive??  nevermind  I'm gone! ( I KNOW APPLAUD, BUT WHEN EVERYBODY IS GONE YOU HAVE NO JOB!!!)   looking elsewhere for a quality 3D program.   I just wasted another hour of my life trying to figure out how to do something that should only take 3 clicks of the mouse.   Making a simple 3d sketch, 6 lines into anything other than lines !!    I'm sure its because I haven't "updated" my 2016 version...  Well, the next update won't be from SolidWorks.  Thanks for all the unnecessary stress from such a non-intuitive crap program.     I regret even leaving Autocad, at least there was accuracy in lines.  

Pretty sad attachment and it's all SW part,  all i wanted is something i could quickly manipulate at different angles.  LIKE A PIECE OF PAPER AND PENCIL CAN DO !!!  

• Re: Just pissed !
          Dennis Dohogne

So long.

Glenn Schroeder

Thanks for attaching your Part.  However, while I like to think my reading comprehension skills are at least decent I have no idea what you were having problems with.  "Making a simple 3d sketch, 6 lines into anything other than lines !! " doesn't tell me much.  I'd like to help if I can, and I'm sure others would also.  Can you please explain the problem a little more?

On the other hand, if you just want to roll around on the floor and throw a hissy fit then go right ahead.  I'll quietly stand aside.

Deepak Gupta

Reno, would you mind sharing the actual file you've been working on or trying to get something worked. And also share as what you looking to do.

There might be a different approach to your issue but without the details we won't be able to suggest anything.

Jim Steinmeyer

Reno Simpson,

You do realize that the vast majority of the people here that will read your post are simply users like yourself? Ask us a question and we will try to understand and help.

David Matula

wow stuck on 2016 and no surface training to make bumpers.   I would have been frustrated too.

J. Mather

Reno Simpson wrote:

About 8 years of SolidWorks .... And it's not me, I've been doing this crap since 'IronCAD' and a half a dozen other programs... ...

Did you attach the correct file here?

I do not see any evidence of training and experience in the file that you attached?

What is the logic behind consuming Extrude-Thin1 with Boss-Extrude1?

Did you intend for this to be a multi-body part and forget to uncheck Merge?

Why are Sketches 2,4,5 and 6 unconstrained and "hanging in space"?

Would it make logical sense to Mirror Features for this design?

Just out of curiosity, what CAD program are you going to switch to?

Have you included training in the budget for the switch?

Alen Topic

Hmmm...to be honest I am not sure that our friend has had training with SOLIDWORKS. Eight years of SWx experience and a 3D sketch is causing grief tells me that he is primarily self-thought and quite possibly (likely at this point) only user, maybe he is free lancer and has given up. Things telling me he is a free lancer: him saying i am switching (company is not just going to switch due to one user being frustrated and the fact that he is still on 2016) maybe he is not up with subs and cant use his VAR for help...

Either case my friend we are here to help, please explain your thought process As Mr. Mather here inquired....

David Mandl

b092f773a7a6abc6ac49b72e01083537.gif

I suppose length of post isn't the issue here, but whatever.  I like the .gif and I'm using it anyway.

Chris Saller

I used ACAD for several years, and trained users to use it. Then....I graduated and matured to SolidWorks.

Today, I can't see why anyone would go back from parametric 3D modeling to 2D sketching.

It's some ignorance in my opinion. AutoCAD works in Arch/Civil environments (where it was intended), but has stuck around for the mechanical side for those that can't move to 'the other side'.

Steve Calvert

Reno, it would appear that some of us are trying to lend a hand.  If you're just going to be pissed off and don't really want help, that's fine but we all come here to help (or try to help) someone model.

Steve C

John Burrill

Walk it back a little Reno Simpson.
                              You can't possibly be ready to abandon the work you're doing after an hour of trying and one post.

What are you trying to model and what were you thinking your process would be?

David Matula

Sounds like the company went belly up.  A final rant to get frustrations out of his system before heading out for a new job not using SolidWorks. 

M. D.

I feel your pain.  Solidworks is good for squares and circles and cutting squares and circles out of squares and circles but beyond that Solidworks is in the stone age.  They are trying to buy up every "feature" out there while never trying to make Solidworks more intuitive to use.  I have a feeling they don't know how or where to begin so they don't even try.  FreeCad is just as good for infinity times less money.

Glenn Schroeder

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

I feel your pain. Solidworks is good for squares and circles and cutting squares and circles out of squares and circles but beyond that Solidworks is in the stone age. They are trying to buy up every "feature" out there while never trying to make Solidworks more intuitive to use. I have a feeling they don't know how or where to begin so they don't even try. FreeCad is just as good for infinity times less money.

Some of us do much more with SW than squares and circles, and it wasn't difficult to learn.

Dennis Dohogne

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Marcus Dimarco wrote:

I feel your pain. Solidworks is good for squares and circles and cutting squares and circles out of squares and circles but beyond that Solidworks is in the stone age. They are trying to buy up every "feature" out there while never trying to make Solidworks more intuitive to use. I have a feeling they don't know how or where to begin so they don't even try. FreeCad is just as good for infinity times less money.

Some of us do much more with SW than squares and circles, and it wasn't difficult to learn.

Glenn, today it is you:

Steve Calvert

Good God!

Here's a portion of our flagship retail fuel dispenser.  Lots of pretty squares and circles for sure...  BTW, the main bezel (light grey color) is 1200+ feature polycarbonate structural foam injection.

Learn the program, it's pretty simple...

Steve C

Alen Topic

They all see the other CAD software and come running back...whether its the price or how convoluted it is to use them...

M. D.

Yes if you are in the top 1% of Solidworks users you can, with a lot of time and pain, brute force something like that if you get lucky and your lofts work right.  But that doesn't mean it is intuitive.  I think the OP's suggestion that Solidworks focus on easily and intuitively allowing you to do anything a pen and paper can do would be a good perspective to take on improving the software.

Jason Martin

I'm extremely curious on how exactly you mean by "improving the software" by doing anything a pen and paper can do. If that's exactly what you are suggesting, maybe ACAD is better for you in that way. BUT, I don't want anything relating what pen and paper can do, I want something BETTER! Solidworks is extremely dynamic in that way. Erase a line just because I decided to extend something further? No, Change a dimension and it works for you faster. I'm definately not in the top 1% of solidworks users and I already know that sometimes things wont always work the first time you do it. That is like every advance system you will use. at first if you dont succeed, Try, Try, Tray again. But you're talking about lofts and getting lucky? No dude, if you don't know the program you need to take a class and learn it.

M. D. Why don't you stop bashing these people and be a bit more constructive in these forums? We are here to help. Yes, I've seen your other posts/rants/put-downs you've placed on this forum lately.

M. D.

Rail on the OP and myself all you want but the fact is Solidworks is focused on buying up all their competitors instead of innovating on a 30+ year old technological paradigm that they still haven't improved at it's core.  Mass adoption is waiting in the wings for a truly intuitive solution...

Steve Calvert

What?  Who are they buying?  And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?

Steve C

M. D.

Dassault bought SolidWorks, they bought PDM, they bought CAM, they bought Solidworks Electrical... Can you name one thing they didn't buy and actually developed on their own?  The problem is when you hoard all this code it is going to be very difficult to maintain let alone innovate with something you didn't create...

Starting to make sense why One and Two seem so elusive?

Dennis Dohogne

Marcus,

Dassault (DSS) did buy SWX when SWX was about to go public.  DSS already had Catia.  Today SWX and Catia are still serving many customers so obviously DSS did not buy up SWX to kill it; they just expanded their market and are serving a broader range of customer needs.  Pro\Excruciating is still around in the form of Creo.  Unigraphics, SolidEdge, Inventor, and others are still around.  So your assertion that DSS is buying competitors to kill them is not supported.  SWX has focused on developing their core software and they have done an admirable job of it, too.  As far as buying PDM, CAM, Electrical, etc., well, just think about it.  These were developed by the folks that were expert at that software.  SWX was nice enough to not only make these things work together, but to include these things in the software - for no additional cost!!  They didn't buy them to kill them, they bought them to improve the product offering and make an even more capable software package.

Just what in the world are you complaining about?!  Frankly, you have no credibility here with your arguments as they are not supported with your statements, nor with public facts, and especially not with the experience of most of the rest of the contributors to this forum.  You have a strong opinion that SWX sucks, but it sounds more like frustration that you have not been able to master it - therefore it must be lousy software (in your opinion).  If you really feel that way then why are you bothering to use it?

And if you had done any kind of research you would know that we all understand this software, like any, has its warts.  ONE and TWO is the penultimate example of that.  But did you read it?  Did you see the follow-ups that Rick Becker and I wrote?  Have you not seen that there are very very few complaints about SWX2018?

The only folks I see that are as frustrated as you seem to be are ones that have not really learned the software.  I would like to suggest you spend some time investing in developing your skill with SWX.  START with the built-in tutorials, then find others.  If you are still not satisfied with your skill level then take a class. 

Steve Calvert

BTW, you can rail on the software all you want but if you come here and say that it's only good for squares and circles, you're going to get kickback...

Steve C

Tom dunn

Oh here we go again, whine, whine, whine. It's not the program, it's the user who makes it work. or not work, by the sounds of it.

makes triangles too!

Al Griego

Reno Simpson wrote:

I just wasted another hour of my life trying to figure out how to do something that should only take 3 clicks of the mouse. Making a simple 3d sketch, 6 lines into anything other than lines !!

If you can draw 6 lines with three clicks, sir, you're a better man than I am.

Paul Salvador

Hey Reno... I can only guess you're frustrated with the workflow or how acad did wireframe compared to 3DSketching in SW?..

I'll attach a 3DSketch which is outlining the body if that helps?

wf3d.png

Glenn Schroeder

We're on the fourth page, and no reply from the OP.  I'm still willing to help him if he wants it, but until that happens I'm done here.

S. Casale

Nothing to see here-  moving on. lmao

Richard Doyle

I think we'll just go ahead and lock this one.  A couple of the posts are going to disappear as well.

richard